Seattle Police have received a Missing Person's alert

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
olyfan63":hjcxvssm said:
Barthawk":hjcxvssm said:
olyfan63":hjcxvssm said:
I think he caught one too, and was open and targeted on another one where RW overthrew him.

How did Kearse do at blocking for Rawls in the run game? Anybody watch and rate that part?

Good point.. WR's get paid by their ability to block, not get open and then catch the ball.

Kearse apparently does. That's all I can figure out for why he's getting snaps and getting paid.
That and repeatedly making huge catches in playoff games. And being a stud on special teams.
The team is paying him as a valued player, i.e., several times vet minimum.
Kearse is making 2.3M this year, vs. 570K and 390K in years prior.

Initially I figured the team was paying Kearse as a reward for big plays made in the past. Market value wise, IMO, Kearse should be a 1-1.5M guy. So I'm sticking with the theory that the team is paying him as a reward, as a message to other players, that guys who make those big plays get valued and taken care of. In Pete & John's system, this actually makes a lot of sense.

* Same with Lockette before his injury, and of course his unforgettable blocks on Beastquake II vs the Cards.

You mentioned him making big catches in big games, you forgot to mention all the drops that forced us to NEED those catches later in the game.

Sucking for 75% of the game and then finally doing something in the final 25% does not make you good, it means you suck 75% of the time.

Kearse already got his "reward" when he got paid his salary. He was NOT underpaid before. He was paid adequately for a guy who doesnt have many skills and fails to help the team much.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Kearse drops the easiest catachable balls that most WRs make even it's a pass that is a bit off, but catches the most insane improbable physical catches that shouldn't happen...happpened. I'm glad he is back to being our 3rd-4th option, that's where he needs to be, just like last year, he still only has 1 TD, but being the 3rd-4th option he might be able to sneak a few TD's the rest of the way while teams are focused on Lockett, Graham, Baldwin and Rawls.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Kearse should always be recognized as a down field blocker and of course that catch against GB. A lite-Hines Ward. Wish him well if he's not with us next year.

Bryce84

Reaction score
I feel like anyone saying Kearse's value as a blocker is why he's still playing has never actually watched him block and just assumes because of his size that he's the best blocking WR on the roster, but he's a terrible blocker. Those bubble screens we like to do are a lot more effective when he's catching it instead of when he has to block for it, which is a terrible sign. He got worked by Browner in SB 49, giving Butler all the room he needed to close in on that INT. He's just largely ineffective as a blocker and I cant wait for the day he's not taking snaps from the other more capable WRs we have.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":tt6tgrh6 said:
Kearse like the Seahawks offense in the past has been famine or feast. This year (like the Seahawks offense) has been consistently bad (or non-existent). Interesting.
It's not JUST players in the Offense, that's missing plays, some of the Defensive STARS have been making their fair share of flubbed up plays too.
As far as Kearse goes, anybody remember Mr Dropsy Koren Robinson?
If I remember correctly, wasn't he Drafted with a pretty high pick?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":17sbv54k said:
You mentioned him making big catches in big games, you forgot to mention all the drops that forced us to NEED those catches later in the game.

Sucking for 75% of the game and then finally doing something in the final 25% does not make you good, it means you suck 75% of the time.

Kearse already got his "reward" when he got paid his salary. He was NOT underpaid before. He was paid adequately for a guy who doesnt have many skills and fails to help the team much.

All the 'Think They Know Better Than The Seahawks Coaching Staff' talent evaluating going down in here. SMH.
Why did Chris Mathews get GONE? maybe because he wasn't very adept at blocking?
There's a rhyme and reason for their keeping Kearse on the roster, and I'm reasonably sure that until someone comes along that plays the role BETTER, he's still got a job.

olyfan63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":iowm9if9 said:
All the 'Think They Know Better Than The Seahawks Coaching Staff' talent evaluating going down in here. SMH.
There's a rhyme and reason for their keeping Kearse on the roster, and I'm reasonably sure that until someone comes along that plays the role BETTER, he's still got a job.

Yup. That's pretty much where I'm at. GIVEN THAT Kearse is getting snaps, getting paid above market, etc., there is clearly a FOOTBALL REASON that Pete and Darrell do this. They believe we have a better chance to win with Kearse on the field. Honestly, the exact reason they value Kearse so much is a mystery to me, but clearly Pete and Darrel DO value Kearse. It's all well and good that people vent at Kearse for his failings, but, sorry, Pete and Darrel are the experts here, not us. Given all that, I'm more interested in trying to figure out what "IT" is about Kearse that Pete and Darrell (and Russell) value about Kearse. We all pretty much know the ways he sucks.

Why do the Hawks value Kearse so much? How about running through a few signature plays...

1. NFCCG, 2014, vs 49ers, 4th and 7. Seahawks decide to go for it. SF jumps offsides, play continues. RW throws the bomb to Kearse, Kearse catches it, TD, one of the biggest, most important plays in team history. What exactly did Kearse do on this play to get lucky? (Here's how I understand it; please share your version if you have better info.) Kearse, and all the other receivers, saw the jump offsides, which, in that circumstance, is an automatic hot read for all the receivers to run go routes. ALL 3 receivers in fact ran go routes, Russell saw Kearse as most open, with the safety not in position to get over, and threw it. Kearse went up and got the ball and made the play, touchdown. Kearse made the read and adjustment in a split second, sold his defender he was going outside, then cut to the inside, making his defender, have to turn back to the inside, and creating the space Russell was looking for to make the throw.

2. 2013 season, vs. Indy, Kearse blocks a punt AND catches a TD pass in the same game.

3. NFCCG, 2015, Kearse catches game-winning TD pass from Wilson on a highly similar play to the 2014 NFCCG TD.

What I get out of all that is:
* Kearse consistently read situations and coverages quickly and accurately, makes the correct adjustments, and is very football smart. Because he can be counted on this way, Russell trusts Kearse to be where he expects him.
* Kearse is fast enough to get deep on NFL corners
* Kearse has proven he can go up and get deep balls over NFL corners
* Because opponents have to respect Kearse as a legitimate deep threat, it opens up the field for the offense.
* Kearse is a stud on special teams, which Pete values highly.

I can only conclude that Kearse must also usually correctly identify his blocking assignments in the run game and execute them with reasonable success. Kearse must also be good at not tipping off the play with little tics or hints, and thus keeps the defense guessing.

For further evidence of Kearse's football smarts and sense of timing, this FieldGulls breakdown does a nice job:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... -touchdown

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Probably been hammered into us a lot, but maybe, just maybe, he is our consistency balance indicator. Remember the other year when we kept a certain fullback who does the REal Rob Report. He was not perfect, but he was consistent. And now he is doing better things. He was not so much a leader, but a great balance in the ways of the force. The decent golfer brings his caddy that knows his style and abilities and always pumps him up or settles him down. Maybe that is what ke.... the dude does to our offense. Cool, calm, Borg Collective. Or I could be spaced out. Never know. Go Hawks.

hawk45

Reaction score
I love the "Pete and Darrell are the experts" theory. Because those two guys have never made giant, near season-killing mistakes with the wide receiver position.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
olyfan63":2csd15mh said:
scutterhawk":2csd15mh said:

Yup. That's pretty much where I'm at. GIVEN THAT Kearse is getting snaps, getting paid above market, etc., there is clearly a FOOTBALL REASON that Pete and Darrell do this. They believe we have a better chance to win with Kearse on the field. Honestly, the exact reason they value Kearse so much is a mystery to me, but clearly Pete and Darrel DO value Kearse. It's all well and good that people vent at Kearse for his failings, but, sorry, Pete and Darrel are the experts here, not us. Given all that, I'm more interested in trying to figure out what "IT" is about Kearse that Pete and Darrell (and Russell) value about Kearse. We all pretty much know the ways he sucks.

Why do the Hawks value Kearse so much? How about running through a few signature plays...

1. NFCCG, 2014, vs 49ers, 4th and 7. Seahawks decide to go for it. SF jumps offsides, play continues. RW throws the bomb to Kearse, Kearse catches it, TD, one of the biggest, most important plays in team history. What exactly did Kearse do on this play to get lucky? (Here's how I understand it; please share your version if you have better info.) Kearse, and all the other receivers, saw the jump offsides, which, in that circumstance, is an automatic hot read for all the receivers to run go routes. ALL 3 receivers in fact ran go routes, Russell saw Kearse as most open, with the safety not in position to get over, and threw it. Kearse went up and got the ball and made the play, touchdown. Kearse made the read and adjustment in a split second, sold his defender he was going outside, then cut to the inside, making his defender, have to turn back to the inside, and creating the space Russell was looking for to make the throw.

2. 2013 season, vs. Indy, Kearse blocks a punt AND catches a TD pass in the same game.

3. NFCCG, 2015, Kearse catches game-winning TD pass from Wilson on a highly similar play to the 2014 NFCCG TD.

* Kearse consistently read situations and coverages quickly and accurately, makes the correct adjustments, and is very football smart. Because he can be counted on this way, Russell trusts Kearse to be where he expects him.
* Because opponents have to respect Kearse as a legitimate deep threat, it opens up the field for the offense.

I can only conclude that Kearse must also usually correctly identify his blocking assignments in the run game and execute them with reasonable success. Kearse must also be good at not tipping off the play with little tics or hints, and thus keeps the defense guessing.

For further evidence of Kearse's football smarts and sense of timing, this FieldGulls breakdown does a nice job:

then why does he still suck??

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1bphmumj said:
olyfan63":1bphmumj said:
scutterhawk":1bphmumj said:

then why does he still suck??
Then why do you care??

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":zu0hwk3v said:
I love the "Pete and Darrell are the experts" theory. Because those two guys have never made giant, near season-killing mistakes with the wide receiver position.
Yep, like anyone in here could be called experts eh?
TWO Super Bowl visits in a row dispels any notions by any of the "Experts" in here, that they aren't pretty darned adept at getting it done.

olyfan63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":36o100mt said:
hawk45":36o100mt said:
TWO Super Bowl visits in a row dispels any notions by any of the "Experts" in here, that they aren't pretty darned adept at getting it done.

I'll go with Carroll and Bevell as the experts on NFL receivers over any of the opinions offered in this thread.

I'd say Kearse made Carroll and Bevell look rather expert today, with 2 TDs and an excellent overall game.

Carroll (and Bevell)
* Won a Super Bowl with home-grown pedestrian receivers, 2 TDs by UDFA WR's in the win.
* Lured UDFA Doug Baldwin to the team as a rookie.
* Developed Baldwin to a legit NFL #2 receiver.
* Developed Golden Tate into a legit NFL #2 receiver and got 2 very good years out of him
* Developed Jerome Kearse into a legit NFL #3 receiver
* Got some really good mileage out of Big Mike Williams for a year
* Drafted Tyler Lockett and are getting great mileage from him as a rookie.

They also got rid of other underperforming receivers who haven't exactly lit up the league elsewhere...
- Kris Durham
- Kevin Norwood; not exactly lighting it up for Carolina;
- The Boldin-lite guy, can't even recall his name

Yes, they screwed up with Harvin. They are wiser for the experience. They won't get fooled again.
The knock would be no #1 receiver, other than Sidney Rice for a couple years.
Overall they probably get a B+ on the receivers position group, in terms of production relative to salary cap.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":262k5hrq said:
scutterhawk":262k5hrq said:
hawk45":262k5hrq said:

I'll go with Carroll and Bevell as the experts on NFL receivers over any of the opinions offered in this thread.

I'd say Kearse made Carroll and Bevell look rather expert today, with 2 TDs and an excellent overall game.

Carroll (and Bevell)
* Won a Super Bowl with home-grown pedestrian receivers, 2 TDs by UDFA WR's in the win.
* Lured UDFA Doug Baldwin to the team as a rookie.
* Developed Baldwin to a legit NFL #2 receiver.
* Developed Golden Tate into a legit NFL #2 receiver and got 2 very good years out of him
* Developed Jerome Kearse into a legit NFL #3 receiver
* Got some really good mileage out of Big Mike Williams for a year
* Drafted Tyler Lockett and are getting great mileage from him as a rookie.

They also got rid of other underperforming receivers who haven't exactly lit up the league elsewhere...
- Kris Durham
- Kevin Norwood; not exactly lighting it up for Carolina;
- The Boldin-lite guy, can't even recall his name

Yes, they screwed up with Harvin. They are wiser for the experience. They won't get fooled again.
The knock would be no #1 receiver, other than Sidney Rice for a couple years.
Overall they probably get a B+ on the receivers position group, in terms of production relative to salary cap.
:stirthepot: Kearse's two TD's today just about says it all, eh?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Man, I wish I had a job where I only had to make a couple plays every month or so.

I'm kidding. He is football smart, he does the right things at the right time, he plays within the system, yada yada yada.

Dude just doesn't impress me. I know he's a local kid, UW product, great story. I think we need to move on. I think we can replace him in the later rounds of the draft to be totally honest.

Look at Pittsburgh, they have top flight speed and talent on their WR corps...three dudes that will kill you through the air. Arizona has threats too.

We have PRich (when healthy) and I would argue Tyler Lockett who have elite speed. Other than that, we have quickness in Doug. What do we have with Kearse?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3vy8t6h7 said:
We have PRich (when healthy) and I would argue Tyler Lockett who have elite speed. Other than that, we have quickness in Doug. What do we have with Kearse?
To be honest, production in big moments has been his forte.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2ues3xfa said:
Man, I wish I had a job where I only had to make a couple plays every month or so.

I'm kidding. He is football smart, he does the right things at the right time, he plays within the system, yada yada yada.

Dude just doesn't impress me. I know he's a local kid, UW product, great story. I think we need to move on. I think we can replace him in the later rounds of the draft to be totally honest.

Look at Pittsburgh, they have top flight speed and talent on their WR corps...three dudes that will kill you through the air. Arizona has threats too.

Two TD catches in one of the most important games of the Season, that's all.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I hear you. Then we probably won't have another Kearse sighting for another four games.

Where was he versus Carolina? Arizona? Cincy?

Yeah he's definitely clutch. Wasn't he involved in multiple turnovers against GB in the NFCC Game in '14?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Watching Kearse on key plays cured me of Kearse-bashing, at least for a while. With the O-Line giving Russell a little more time and an occasional pocket, I bet we see more and more positive plays out of Kearse the rest of the way.

On the one TD, Kearse sold the defender one way, leaving him no choice but to bite or risk a TD, then Kearse flipped around with perfect timing to catch the ball Russell threw where he knew Kearse should be. Kearse was there, he caught it, TD.

Kearse is extremely football-smart, even if his hands occasionally fail him, and Russell definitely feels that chemistry with him, and they seem to make the same read at the same time, with big-play results.

Yes, Green Bay NFCCG was a fiasco. We won the game anyway. So what's your point? And who made the biggest play, the walk-off home run play, when it truly mattered?
Sure, Kearse failed to pick off Brandon Browner on "the pick". Think you, or 98% of NFL receivers, could do any better against Browner when he knows what play is coming?

Kearse is a legit #3 NFL receiver who forces the defense to respect him as a deep threat, and overall makes our offense better.

Latest posts