Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sounders have announced their protected list for the upcoming expansion draft.

Alfaro, Tony
Alonso, Osvaldo
Dempsey, Clint (DP)
Evans, Brad
Frei, Stefan
Jones, Joevin (INT'L)
Lodeiro, Nicolas (INT'L/DP)
Marshall, Chad
Miller, Tyler
Roldan, Cristian
Torres, Roman (INT'L)

Automatically Protected:
Jones, Darwin (HG)
Kovar, Aaron (HG)
Mansaray, Victor (HG)
Morris, Jordan (HG)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":209pr2y1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":209pr2y1 said:
Sgt. Largent":209pr2y1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":209pr2y1 said:
Sounders with options declined: Anderson, Farfan, Friberg, Gomez, Ivanschitz, D. Jones, Lowe, Lyon, Mears, Ockford, Remick, Sturgis, Valdez

Only one here I'm surprised is Mears. I thought he had a solid year, and for less than 200k is a bargain.

Valdez was a great story, but no way in hell we were going to continue to pay him over 1M a year for that kind of goal production.

Gonna disagree on Mears, think he has been shaky at points and i've not been impressed with his crossing. His wife and kids still live in England so I can't see him doing another season abroad. Some of these guys might be brought back cheaper. I'd take Valdez back as a back up player if he is way cheaper and Ivanschitz. Excited about a DP spot being freed up.

Hard to imagine Valdez would take that kind of pay cut unless there's literally no other interest for him. But yes a late game sub is probably where he should be at this point in his career.

I know everyone loves Brad, but is it smart to keep paying him 300k+ a year to never make it through a season with missing major time with injuries?

I have a feeling he goes wherever Sigi ends up. We possibly renewed him so we can get something for him in a trade off Sigi? Probably our starting RB next year if he stays and they draft a young RB to develop from college.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I prefer penalty kicks to sudden death. At least both teams get an equal shot and it still comes down to the skill of the players (and a little bit of luck.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3kai13uw said:
I have a feeling he goes wherever Sigi ends up. We possibly renewed him so we can get something for him in a trade off Sigi? Probably our starting RB next year if he stays and they draft a young RB to develop from college.

That seems a little risky to spend 300k hoping for a trade, unless the FO knows something we don't about Sigi being hired somewhere.

IMO it's more about Evans being a utility player able to play multiple positions............and he's still one of the team leaders, which does mean something. Just think it's time to move on, as he can't go a full month without being hurt and missing major time. 300k is a lot in the MLS for a non starter.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tlg8pqx said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2tlg8pqx said:

That seems a little risky to spend 300k hoping for a trade, unless the FO knows something we don't about Sigi being hired somewhere.

IMO it's more about Evans being a utility player able to play multiple positions............and he's still one of the team leaders, which does mean something. Just think it's time to move on, as he can't go a full month without being hurt and missing major time. 300k is a lot in the MLS for a non starter.

Ozzy had spells though when he couldn't stay healthy and got through it. Hopefully with a new season and preseason training Evans can get past it.

300k is fine if he ends up being the starting RB. Probably the captain as well now Scott is gone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2j0bvlx3 said:
300k is fine if he ends up being the starting RB. Probably the captain as well now Scott is gone.

Really? RB?

Evans is solid spot starter for RB, but as our everyday RB I don't think he has the legs anymore to get forward as much as Schmetzer like to attack on the wings.

Seems like a young Yedlin type is more the type of RB we need to compliment Jone's speed on the left.

Also if you didn't like Mear's crossing, Evans is no better, maybe even worse.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3buelrpz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3buelrpz said:

Really? RB?

Evans is solid spot starter for RB, but as our everyday RB I don't think he has the legs anymore to get forward as much as Schmetzer like to attack on the wings.

Seems like a young Yedlin type is more the type of RB we need to compliment Jone's speed on the left.

Also if you didn't like Mear's crossing, Evans is no better, maybe even worse.

Good points. I think Evans is solid defensively. I'm wondering if they have him start at RB to start the season while they develop a future RB. Ultimately we need to pad the squad out with some quality if we want to make a CCL run so his experience may come handy here as well.

Lots of big decisions ahead, especially if Mears, Ivanschitz, Friberg, Valdez etc don't take lower deals.

Still excited to see what DP we bring in and if we do anything with the increased TAM.

Smurf

Reaction score
I expect Evans to be a Sounder in 2017, and I expect him to be playing RB as our starter.

I hear the concern that this will make us unbalanced as Evans doesn't have the speed that Jones has on the opposite flank, but I expect us to bring in a right footed outside Playmaker with our 3rd DP spot opened up with Valdez' option being declined. Sign a young DP for the right side of the field and he can cover for Evans lack of pace.

I don't think we sign another DP forward, unless we move Dempsey.

Our starting 11 next season is going to be pretty similar to this years squad, its the role players that will change the most. This is the year that TAM money will mean the most for this club, and boy do we have a lot of it.

Morris,
Lodeiro, Dempsey, (New DP)
Alonso, Roldan
Jones, Marshall, Torres, Evans
Frei

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The future, even just a few months from now, should not include Dempsey in the starting 11

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13lezfe5 said:
The future, even just a few months from now, should not include Dempsey in the starting 11

I agree with that. I just, assuming he's healthy, see that happening.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So what's the state of the group heading into next year?

If Valdez and Dempsey are moving on (which they probably should) who fills the #9 and #8 roles for the team? Morris move to Striker?

Also, with Minnesota FC set to put their team together, who do you see getting pulled from the Sounders (I'm assuming there is an expansion draft?)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":21z9d5k8 said:

Didn't protecting Dempsey yesterday tip the Sounder's hand that they expect him back next year?

If Arena's already talking about getting Dempsey into the USMNT camp in January, I'd expect him to return to the Sounders at the end of January or early February when our camp opens.

Only thing IMO that causes us to cut him loose is if before the first match in March he's still not medically cleared with continued issues. Cause once the season starts we're on the hook for his salary.

Kinda like we did with Nkufo, when we cut him the day before the season started.

As far as the 3rd DP slot, I want us to go after a true right winger, someone that can help Jones stretch the pitch on the right side to compliment Morris on the left. With Lodeiro and Ozzie in the middle that'd be a formidable attack with Dempsey up top.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hhk1b84 said:
Uncle Si":3hhk1b84 said:

Didn't protecting Dempsey yesterday tip the Sounder's hand that they expect him back next year?

I didn't say he should not be back. I said he should not be in the starting 11...

I could care less what Arena has planned for Dempsey. But if I had to garner a guess, he wants experience to get his squad back on the qualifying path. The next game is in March and its a must win.

Those two situations are not synonymous with each other.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":km8p6hfi said:
Sgt. Largent":km8p6hfi said:
Uncle Si":km8p6hfi said:

I didn't say he should not be back. I said he should not be in the starting 11...

I could care less what Arena has planned for Dempsey. But if I had to garner a guess, he wants experience to get his squad back on the qualifying path. The next game is in March and its a must win.

Well you certainly don't keep a 4.6M a year DP if he's not a starter.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39827iif said:
Uncle Si":39827iif said:
Sgt. Largent":39827iif said:
Uncle Si":39827iif said:

You do in the MLS.

Look, if the Sounders want to risk putting together a lineup that relies on a 33 soon to be 34 year old player on the decline of his abilities and coming off a heart condition whose very playing future is still in doubt, so be it.

Seems a perfect time to move forward though. I'd say they protected him because of what he brings to the team off the field as much as on.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2f7o7x54 said:
Sgt. Largent":2f7o7x54 said:

You do in the MLS.

Look, if the Sounders want to risk putting together a lineup that relies on a 33 soon to be 34 year old player on the decline of his abilities and coming off a heart condition whose very playing future is still in doubt, so be it.

Seems a perfect time to move forward though. I'd say they protected him because of what he brings to the team off the field as much as on.

No, you don't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2gskw2xg said:
You do in the MLS.

What roster in the MLS has their DP on the bench? No DP, especially one with as big of an ego as Dempsey is cool with rotting on the bench of an MLS club for the final years of his career.

It's not prudent for either side, player or organization. The cap is limiting enough without wasting a DP spot and cap hit on a bench player.

If Dempsey's here, he's starting. If he's not, it's because the Sounders brass wasn't comfortable with his health moving forward.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ojjzbm4 said:
Uncle Si":1ojjzbm4 said:
You do in the MLS.

What roster in the MLS has their DP on the bench? No DP, especially one with as big of an ego as Dempsey is cool with rotting on the bench of an MLS club for the final years of his career.

It's not prudent for either side, player or organization. The cap is limiting enough without wasting a DP spot and cap hit on a bench player.

If Dempsey's here, he's starting. If he's not, it's because the Sounders brass wasn't comfortable with his health moving forward.

Gerrard started 18 games for the Galaxy last year. Robbie Keane started 16.

Those are just two. It doesn't take much research to show what DP players were mainstays (played in more than 20 regular season games) in their club's lineups (look at Dallas) and which ones played far less time... and why (age)

Injury to aging players is a real thing. You are taking a huge risk on a 33-36 year old player to start games all season.

Tell me what's prudent. Tell me why LA did it here despite the talent already on that roster and why it would somehow not be similar to what Seattle has planned with Dempsey.

DP players can bring a lot more to a roster than just influencing the game over an entire season. Some clubs still choose to go with those types of players, others are looking for something different (again, Dallas).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2daym6eo said:
Uncle Si":2daym6eo said:
Sgt. Largent":2daym6eo said:

You do in the MLS.

No, you don't.

Well thought out and researched

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1bpgdiz8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1bpgdiz8 said:
Uncle Si":1bpgdiz8 said:
You do in the MLS.

Gerrard started 18 games for the Galaxy last year. Robbie Keane started 16.

Those are just two. It doesn't take much research to show what DP players were mainstays (played in more than 20 regular season games) in their club's lineups (look at Dallas) and which ones played far less time... and why (age)

Injury to aging players is a real thing. You are taking a huge risk on a 33-36 year old player to start games all season.

Tell me what's prudent. Tell me why LA did it here despite the talent already on that roster and why it would somehow not be similar to what Seattle has planned with Dempsey.

DP players can bring a lot more to a roster than just influencing the game over an entire season. Some clubs still choose to go with those types of players, others are looking for something different (again, Dallas).

Both Keane and Gerrard were dealing with major injuries. That's why they weren't starting as they normally would, and did in years prior.

Also why neither is going to be playing for the Galaxy next year.

So you're still not making sense. No MLS club actively goes into a season with a healthy DP with plans for him to ride the bench.

I get you don't like Demspey on this club, that's a fair argument for moving on. But to keep saying you're OK with him sucking up 4.6M of salary and DP slot to be a sub? That's crazy talk in a super restrictive league like MLS...........and more importantly on a club like the Sounders that want three 90 minute DP's to help win trophies.