Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":2e54c3uz said:
Lagerway today said we plan on making a 8 digit investment in a player during the summer window and to add another piece during that window as well.

Transfer window is officially closed, so this is what we got until the summer window.
I doubt this considering he also just said that Seattle could no longer afford to be one of the big spenders in MLS.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":l4liejk0 said:
Smurf":l4liejk0 said:
Lagerway today said we plan on making a 8 digit investment in a player during the summer window and to add another piece during that window as well.

Transfer window is officially closed, so this is what we got until the summer window.
I doubt this considering he also just said that Seattle could no longer afford to be one of the big spenders in MLS.

Part of his $10 million investment statement was a retraction of his "big spenders" comment.

I'm thinking that one of the owners, probably Joe Roth, came down hard on Garth for that comment.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I think it's more along the lines of Garth counting transfer fee plus total salary for those 8 figures. I'm picturing his "big signing" being $4 million transfer fee + $6 million over four years .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get why Lagerwey maybe showed a little frustration with some of the front office and fan criticism with his comments.

1. It was a dumb comment to make. No one inside or outside the organization wants to hear that you're pulling back on spending, especially for a club that's done nothing since day one other than yell from the mountain tops that they fancy themselves as aspiring to be one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

2. I have no problem with waiting for the summer transfer window. But that doesn't excuse some serious shortsightedness on Lagerway's part to not sign a quality outside back this past off season.

All the depth we added was at midfield and CB. Yes, no one could have seen the Morris injury coming, but that doesn't excuse going into the season with two mediocre to terrible outside backs with Nouhou and Leerdam. We knew Jones was leaving for over a year, should have found a quality replacement at least at ONE of the outside back spots.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":22nnwlnj said:
I think it's more along the lines of Garth counting transfer fee plus total salary for those 8 figures. I'm picturing his "big signing" being $4 million transfer fee + $6 million over four years .

^^^^^^^ That's Nico Lodeiro FWIW.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":142hkysn said:
I get why Lagerwey maybe showed a little frustration with some of the front office and fan criticism with his comments.

1. It was a dumb comment to make. No one inside or outside the organization wants to hear that you're pulling back on spending, especially for a club that's done nothing since day one other than yell from the mountain tops that they fancy themselves as aspiring to be one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

2. I have no problem with waiting for the summer transfer window. But that doesn't excuse some serious shortsightedness on Lagerway's part to not sign a quality outside back this past off season.

All the depth we added was at midfield and CB. Yes, no one could have seen the Morris injury coming, but that doesn't excuse going into the season with two mediocre to terrible outside backs with Nouhou and Leerdam. We knew Jones was leaving for over a year, should have found a quality replacement at least at ONE of the outside back spots.

You're opinion on Leerdam has me absolutely perplexed.

He improves our team so much. We are so much better with him than we are without.

Nouhou is a young player who has a lot of raw talent, but doesn't always play smart. So i can see people's frustration in him...but Leerdam man....that dude is great for how we play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":2ouqfr48 said:
Sgt. Largent":2ouqfr48 said:

You're opinion on Leerdam has me absolutely perplexed.

He improves our team so much. We are so much better with him than we are without.

Nouhou is a young player who has a lot of raw talent, but doesn't always play smart. So i can see people's frustration in him...but Leerdam man....that dude is great for how we play.

Leerdam is quick, smart and makes good decisions..............that's not my criticism. My criticism of him and Nouhou is neither is an offensive threat to make runs and stretch the defense. Which IMO is what we're desperately missing without Jones.

An outside back that can get forward and send in crosses, and just be an overall disruption.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
marauding wingbacks need a strong central midfield to operate from.

Sounders don't have that right now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another shit show by the Sounders today. The played with a man advantage almost the entire match and couldn’t come away with a win much less score a goal. Pathetic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ub2a9ut said:
Another shit show by the Sounders today. The played with a man advantage almost the entire match and couldn’t come away with a win much less score a goal. Pathetic.

A healthy Lodeiro would have made a big difference.........but even he's looked less like the Niko of previous years. So I wonder if he's had this injury for a while, and it's finally come to a head of needing rest.

Either way, this has been one of the worst offensive units we've seen in a long time, maybe ever. No wing pressure at all, two old dudes up top getting gobbled up by defenders and with a less than healthy Lodeiro, absolutely no one to service them even if they could make runs or work 1-2's.

Summer transfer window can't come soon enough.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Can't help but be frustrated at the front office. Yes Morris got hurt...but he was hurt most of last year too, there should have been more depth up front. It's all fine and well waiting till the summer but we've a lot of games before then and we'll drop a lot of points if we can't score. Plus with the world cup, a lot of talent will be abroad for it and won't get back till after the tournament.

If money was the issue (it shouldn't be given the ticket prices etc) then I question why we re-signed an ageing Dempsey over younger talent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2b3truew said:
If money was the issue (it shouldn't be given the ticket prices etc) then I question why we re-signed an ageing Dempsey over younger talent.

Clint's still sells kits, had 12 goals last year and has chemistry with Lodeiro and Morris. So I can see why we wanted him back for another couple years.

I also think not having V-Rod available for seemingly his entire tenure here so far has not helped with Morris being gone. Rodriguez can play the wing, and would give us some much needed width and skill.

Did we know he was so brittle when he came here? Dude makes Brad Evans look like Lou Gehrig.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle has decided to not even try in tonight's game. They're running a 5-4-1 and Dempsey, Lodiero, and Alonso didn't even make the trip. 15 minutes in and Toronto has about 90% of the possession, almost all of it in Seattle's half of the field.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
SeatownJay":394iqovf said:
Seattle has decided to not even try in tonight's game. They're running a 5-4-1 and Dempsey, Lodiero, and Alonso didn't even make the trip. 15 minutes in and Toronto has about 90% of the possession, almost all of it in Seattle's half of the field.
I retract my previous statement about not trying. :)

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Holy crap. Seattle wins 2-1 on the road. I was absolutely not expecting that. And now I'm even more convinced this is a better team when Dempsey doesn't play. So far this season the Sounders are scoring a goal every 83.8 minutes without Dempsey compared to a goal every 218 minutes when Dempsey's on the pitch.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wasn't expecting that. Makes me wish we actually had a go in the final last year.

Hopefully that turns around our season and we beat portland on sunday.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":9jo9cp8h said:
Holy crap. Seattle wins 2-1 on the road. I was absolutely not expecting that. And now I'm even more convinced this is a better team when Dempsey doesn't play. So far this season the Sounders are scoring a goal every 83.8 minutes without Dempsey compared to a goal every 218 minutes when Dempsey's on the pitch.

I kind of questioned dempsey above. Lodeiro when he plays also seems to be more influential without him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":103jrdvm said:
SeatownJay":103jrdvm said:
I retract my previous statement about not trying. :)

We all thought this, if anyone looking at that lineup and 5-3-2 park the bus and hope for a point formation thought we had a chance to score two goals and win, they're lying.

We learned two things last night;

1. Trust Schmetzer. He knew exactly what this club needed, young energy.

2. When you're playing a beat up opponent, sometimes all it takes is going young, hungry and motivated.

Hell, I wouldn't mind the same lineup this weekend against PDX. Until Lodeiro's back to full health, I'm fine with Dempsey on the bench. He doesn't create, he just clogs up the middle, doesn't get back to help on defense and commits stupid frustration fouls.

Smurf

Reaction score
Team was very committed to each other last night. The lines were tight for the most part, and the midfielders were covering for each other tirelessly.

A moment of brilliance by Wolff, and Bruin playing arguably his best game as a Sounder means we left with all 3 points. Good game plan last night. Well executed.

MLS Salaries came out today for those curious:

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/5/1 ... s-2018-mls

Nico is now the highest paid on the team - $2.3 Million

Dempsey a 57% decrease to $1.6 Million.

Victor Rodriguez and Ozzie Alonso are both making $1-$1.1 Million.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":2qe6v76u said:
Team was very committed to each other last night. The lines were tight for the most part, and the midfielders were covering for each other tirelessly.

A moment of brilliance by Wolff, and Bruin playing arguably his best game as a Sounder means we left with all 3 points. Good game plan last night. Well executed.

MLS Salaries came out today for those curious:

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/5/1 ... s-2018-mls

Nico is now the highest paid on the team - $2.3 Million

Dempsey a 57% decrease to $1.6 Million.

Victor Rodriguez and Ozzie Alonso are both making $1-$1.1 Million.

Good to know Dempsey isn't making 3M+ anymore, but disappointing to see we're paying V-Rod that much for being hurt since he got here.

Also tells me there's plenty of DP money to go after a bigtime summer transfer window player.