Secondary predictions.

Jville

Reaction score
There are typically unknowns and surprises between mini camp and opening day.

The subject line "SECONDARY PREDICTIONS" is plural.

We are under no mandate to arrive at any kind of unanimous consensuses as to a singular prediction.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Largent80":23qjoutn said:
OK, an UDFA is going to come in and start as a Seahawks CB?

A 5th round safety did it last year, so maybe. I like Derrek Thomas, he's got a good athletic profile and a high ceiling. I think he should have been drafted, but can understand that he's pretty raw. Then again, is he any longer a longshot than Flowers was? Nah.

That being said, I wouldn't project him starting. I think he probably goes PS and gets stolen from us.

I do predict, however, that Jamar Taylor beats Akeem King in competition - or at least splits evenly with him at slot.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Thomas is the ideal Seahawks project CB. Great length, athleticism, etc. However, his tape was awful. He is at least a year away from being able to even make a team in my opinion. Pretty safe bet he will get cut, go unclaimed, and be on our practice squad. If he makes the team I will be shocked...even knowing Pete’s background with his profile.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":13vyvxjt said:
raisethe3":13vyvxjt said:
I remember someone here mentioned that Ugochukwu Amadi was going to be groomed to play in the slot?

I'll believe it when I see it. Dude is absolutely awful athletically. Undoubtedly the worst athletic profile we've ever drafted. So we'll see. I didn't see anything to lead me to think he was worth drafting.

I got the distinct impression that he did not like to tackle. With his slight frame, i could understand that. I know it says he weighs 199#, but i find it hard to believe that he always carries that much weight.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":klpipf92 said:
UK_Seahawk":klpipf92 said:
RCB - Flowers
LCB - Griffin
NCB - King
SS - Blair
FS - McDougald

Thoughts?

I'd put Hill in Blair's spot. Experience plays a part. But also Hill was very active in year 2. Expect him to emerge this year strong.

King I think will be situational. He doesn't have the physical profile to succeed here against shiftier/quicker slot opponents. But he'll get work.

This secondary looks on paper to be extremely promising.

If Blair does beat out Hill it will be because the value is recognized of having a slobberknocker at SS, but I can see your point with Hill's experience, you could be right. i am interested in the FO's on paper shift of McDougald to FS from SS which to me indicates Thompson is in a tough fight to remain a starter.

What is going to be interesting to watch will be which NCB the team chooses to play the greatest number of snaps. I am extremely curious as to which guys step up and grab the job. Lots of potential here for the staff to choose from and I agree situational choices could easily result.

Each year brings a fresh start but there is speed on the edges and both starters from last season have now had time to settle into an understanding of their respective positions, and promising depth in reserve. The DBs are hopefully going to be much improved this season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Remember when.

The LOB had their issues for a couple seasons with break downs, guys looking wide open, both Sherman and Thomas as well as Kam said that came from bad communication. They then had a weekly Secondary Film session set up after a few games of those things happening so they could work on better communication for situations.

That may be the sort of thing that may need to happen again with this group. You need two guys the up front and the Deep guy both making the calls to get people where they need to be and then the handoffs.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1zxisqij said:
Remember when.

The LOB had their issues for a couple seasons with break downs, guys looking wide open, both Sherman and Thomas as well as Kam said that came from bad communication. They then had a weekly Secondary Film session set up after a few games of those things happening so they could work on better communication for situations.

That may be the sort of thing that may need to happen again with this group. You need two guys the up front and the Deep guy both making the calls to get people where they need to be and then the handoffs.

Flowers and McDougald are our best players in the secondary hopefully Flowers continues the trajectory he's on. I think he will. King also had some good moments last year. I think were going to be fine but were very young back there right now so there will be some growing pains. Overall the talent back there is good.

chris98251

Reaction score
My point is first they need to learn Petes technique and how to play in the NFL in their position and then how to communicate to each other on the fly. That was what held the LOB in check initially, when they were right they were devastating but they had lapses of communication which caused a lot of wide open targets their first couple years.

Once they fixed that they dominated like almost nobody else ever had.
That includes the Linebackers as well.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2miftrnc said:
My point is first they need to learn Petes technique and how to play in the NFL in their position and then how to communicate to each other on the fly. That was what held the LOB in check initially, when they were right they were devastating but they had lapses of communication which caused a lot of wide open targets their first couple years.

Once they fixed that they dominated like almost nobody else ever had.
That includes the Linebackers as well.

For sure they have to learn to work as a unit and that takes time and your right a commitment on there part to make that happen. Pete is a great defensive coach i'm really more concerned about the Offense. In particular the O-line Iupati should help not sure if i spelled that correctly, and some of the good rookie talent that got hurt should be ready to go. So hopefully they are better on the O-line this season. Lastly upon further reveiw i think Marquise Blair is a much better pick than i initially thought.