SF has worst passing stats in the league 173. yards per game

ivotuk

Reaction score
:lol:

After 9 games, they have 1565 yards. This will be their downfall. The consensus seems to be that they spend a lot of game planning as "mad scientists" on the run game which has been very successful. But outside of that, they don't have much until they get Crabtree back and Manningham up to speed. Still, if Vernon Davis continues to have health issues (concussion, his ears are still ringing from Kam laying the Boom), they are going to struggle.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

253hawk

Reaction score
It would look even worse except that Squidward has a fairly respectable yards-per-attempt at 7.61; his abysmal 56.4 completion percentage is the second worst in the league among regular starting QB's.

Cirmman

Reaction score
50-cent-andy-reid-niners.gif

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ivotuk":2scb3ziw said:
The consensus seems to be that they spend a lot of game planning as "mad scientists" on the run game which has been very successful.

FWIW it's not an either/or thing (i.e. time spent game planning for the run detracts from time spent game planning for the pass, or vice versa).

This is because the run game is scripted and designed by Greg Roman, and the pass game is scripted and designed by Johnnie Morton. Rather than having one person doing both they've split the job of offensive game planning across two people.

This can of course be a good or bad thing, but there's definitely not a consensus about something that isn't even true in the first place.

They're a run first team obviously and the offense goes through the run game, but that, for better or worse, is a strategy, and doesn't have anything to do with time spent.

Not going after you because most 9ers fans don't know this either (they b!tch about Roman because of playcalling -- which is kinda accurate, but still not really -- and because of the passing game, which is just flat out wrong), but worth noting. ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It isn't like the Hawks are throwing it all over. Just two weeks back, we had 135 yards in a game.

Sturm

Reaction score
Guess that trade for Jon Baldwin didn't do much for them.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1qjxdait said:
ivotuk":1qjxdait said:
The consensus seems to be that they spend a lot of game planning as "mad scientists" on the run game which has been very successful.

FWIW it's not an either/or thing (i.e. time spent game planning for the run detracts from time spent game planning for the pass, or vice versa).

This is because the run game is scripted and designed by Greg Roman, and the pass game is scripted and designed by Johnnie Morton. Rather than having one person doing both they've split the job of offensive game planning across two people.

This can of course be a good or bad thing, but there's definitely not a consensus about something that isn't even true in the first place.

They're a run first team obviously and the offense goes through the run game, but that, for better or worse, is a strategy, and doesn't have anything to do with time spent.

Not going after you because most 9ers fans don't know this either (they b!tch about Roman because of playcalling -- which is kinda accurate, but still not really -- and because of the passing game, which is just flat out wrong), but worth noting. ;)

I see what you are saying, I was going off of Rocket interview where he said they were mad scientists, and a couple of other interviews/articles I've read over time but can't remember them all. And one of their biggest downfalls has been when they've gone away from the run, but unlike the Seahawks, I don't see the 49ers having the capability of coming back in a game via the pass, at least not in their current condition.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":d5n3tzbm said:
It isn't like the Hawks are throwing it all over. Just two weeks back, we had 135 yards in a game.

So what are you saying? That they're comparable? Because I don't see it. The Seahawks can come back in a game with their passing game, the 49ers can't.

Brass-Knuckles

Reaction score
ivotuk":2b02klqz said:
Scottemojo":2b02klqz said:

So what are you saying? That they're comparable? Because I don't see it. The Seahawks can come back in a game with their passing game, the 49ers can't.

sadly you are probably correct

Kakaww

Reaction score
It feels like Kap will get it turned around if he can get Crabtree, Davis, Manningham and Bouldin in and healthy. I'd like to think he is just a crappy quarterback, but he has had so little to work with and has shown he can pile up yards with good receivers and/or bad defenses. If they can weather the storm, the Niners could be really dangerous heading in to the playoffs.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Kakaww":35xvax3o said:
It feels like Kap will get it turned around if he can get Crabtree, Davis, Manningham and Bouldin in and healthy. I'd like to think he is just a crappy quarterback, but he has had so little to work with and has shown he can pile up yards with good receivers and/or bad defenses. If they can weather the storm, the Niners could be really dangerous heading in to the playoffs.

Kaep IS a crappy quarterback, he looked a bit better with a decent receiver as his first read, but he is still a crappy one read qb.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah, not writing Kaepernick off just yet. If he gets all his weapons back and still looks like crap, then we can talk turkey. Would expect a tad more from him, even without all the weapons, but I do believe the Niners coaches are seriously going run first, second, and third for the time being.

For an example of how 1 WR can make a difference I look to our own team. We've had injuries all year, but the passing attack has looked better ever since Rice went down and we threw Kearse out there, and have had 3 legit threats to worry defenses instead of just 2.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawk45":1imdw51f said:
but the passing attack has looked better ever since Rice went down and we threw Kearse out there, and have had 3 legit threats to worry defenses instead of just 2.

Definitely agreed with that. Bizarre how long S. Rice lived off of reputation.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Kakaww":sihj0wp9 said:
It feels like Kap will get it turned around if he can get Crabtree, Davis, Manningham and Bouldin in and healthy.
That's covering up the problem, IMO. Kaepernick needs serious between-the-ears improvement as far as playing quarterback goes, I think.

OrFan

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1cbb4ky2 said:
Kakaww":1cbb4ky2 said:
It feels like Kap will get it turned around if he can get Crabtree, Davis, Manningham and Bouldin in and healthy.
That's covering up the problem, IMO. Kaepernick needs serious between-the-ears improvement as far as playing quarterback goes, I think.

Why does he need all these to be better when he only looks at one anyway, from the start of the play on. He doesn't know what a progression is.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OrFan":8gc1an2f said:
RolandDeschain":8gc1an2f said:
Kakaww":8gc1an2f said:

Why does he need all these to be better when he only looks at one anyway, from the start of the play on. He doesn't know what a progression is.

After hearing that Cosell bashed him on the radio for rarely making it past one read regardless of how much time he has, and missing open reads even when he seems to look right at them, yeah; it seems hopeless. Give him the two best route-running WRs in the game as his #1 and #2 and he'd probably be damned good consistently, but the NFL just doesn't work that way, lol.

mikeak

Reaction score
Kaepernick strikes me like a guy that will take a reasonable deal next year so they can afford to keep the team intact.... So he should have good WRs for the future as well

:sarcasm_off:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I still think Kaeperstank is a very good QB with development on the horizon. The guy has been missing his favorite target and plays on a run first team. Any shortage in the pass game is going to be amplified by the already limited number of attempts.

Same goes for Seattle. Neither team needs to have a top ten passing game to get it done. Combined they are 15-4 and both are in the bottom half of the league passing stats.

There is a little something going on with Kaeperstank though, he looks confused and nervous under pressure. He really looked like he lost composure in that Panthers game. Something we will never have to worry about.

I remember the Niner idiots mocking the Harvin trade because he wasn't a 1000 yard receiver

Think the Niners would turn down a trade of receiving groups now?