Shaquem Griffin

hawknation2018

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":25pr5iu9 said:
He's a 6'0 220lb LB. Teams are going to run right at him.

It’s a credit to his skill that he plays bigger than his size and does make a lot of tackles (leading Seahawks tackler). Can he rush the passer? We haven’t seen it much.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There are so many problems to address with this team.

A grass green LB is low on the list of priorities.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Kudos to Austin Calitro. Remember KJ as a rookie? That's how Calitro seemed to me. Denver didn't have as much success targeting one matchup when Calitro took over.
It's Shaquem's first real game. Let's give the guy a chance to hit the film room with the coaches for a few weeks and learn. In the meantime, yeah, what others said, he's small for run defense, and maybe play him in nickel-only until he learns the reads better.

mrblitz

Reaction score
isn't he lightning fast? maybe could play free safety? might be too small for strong safety? they're playing him at linebacker? 200lbs seems light for that.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":6oousw93 said:
CodeWarrior":6oousw93 said:

It’s a credit to his skill that he plays bigger than his size and does make a lot of tackles (leading Seahawks tackler). Can he rush the passer? We haven’t seen it much.
That was his MO in college, he got a lot of sacks.

Atradees

Reaction score
Quem covered the TE really well in one play. The defense was completely absent from the flats. We made a half time adjustment and it was better.

FinNasty

Reaction score
mrblitz":2aq39d5z said:
isn't he lightning fast? maybe could play free safety? might be too small for strong safety? they're playing him at linebacker? 200lbs seems light for that.

He's almost 230lbs...

sutz

Reaction score
'Queem was OK. I had hoped he would be better yesterday, but he is a rookie. He made a couple of rookie mistakes.

He'll get better, but there was a reason he wasn't the starter until KJ was injured. Shaqueem needs more time, but I have no doubt he'll learn from what happened against the Broncos.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Jville":2f3hdgkm said:
They made the needed adjustment when they brought in Austin Calitro for run down snaps and lightened Shaquem Griffin's load to that of passing downs.

Yeah, and then Calitro missed back-to-back tackles and Shaquem got put right back in.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Every single position on the field had ups and downs today. That being said, I agree. Like I said before, hes a feel good story but maybe not ready for primetime. Hopefully he learns quick. He was out of position on coverage more than once, even the announcers pointed it out. Maybe its magnified since they seemed to focus on him though.

zetes

Reaction score
hawknation2018":xf7pe39n said:
CodeWarrior":xf7pe39n said:

He lead the Seahawks in the pre-season in tackles with means less than nothing. He had 2 tackles yesterday - far from leading Seahawks tackler.

Z.

zetes

Reaction score
I think Shaqueem had a bad game. The expectations were high and I don't think he even met "rookie expectations". I think Trey Flowers performed very well and beat expectations. The 3 interceptions and a close 4th one when Earl tipped it and was missed by McDougald - I think that means the secondary as a unit exceeded expectations. I agree that mistakes were made by all units and rookies will make more mistakes early in the season but I think it is safe to say Shaqueem underperformed. Calitro missed some tackles too so it wasn't only on Shaqueem but Shaqueem was starting so more was expected from him. I would have liked seeing Carson get at least 15 carries but that's a different story.
Z.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can't learn unless you are in there playing, he had a rough game. But it was first ever NFL game, everyone started somewhere. Obviously KJ was massively missed yesterday. But there were plenty of guys on D that were out of position yesterday.

Seymour

Reaction score
Rough start but I put more of our loss on Wagner being erased most of the day. We cannot afford that at all, and he needs to be better at leading by example.

Flowers??? 7 tackles, Griffin 6 tackles..... / Wagner 4 tackles. :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":yrz2oxwd said:
Rough start but I put more of our loss on Wagner being erased most of the day. We cannot afford that at all, and he needs to be better at leading by example.

Flowers??? 7 tackles, Griffin 6 tackles..... / Wagner 4 tackles. :pukeface:

Not entirely fair, when Denver ran it was outside to take advantage of Griffin and Mingo, especially with Lindsay, he gashed us quite a bit outside.

Griffin had a bad game, there's no way around it. Gave up the long TD, and was out of position quite a bit...........mostly in the first half. So I guess the good news is Griffin's fits, gaps and coverage assignments looked much better in the 2nd half.

But still, not exactly the feel good start to his career we were all hoping for.

Jville

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":26bn3qzq said:
Can't learn unless you are in there playing, he had a rough game. But it was first ever NFL game, everyone started somewhere. Obviously KJ was massively missed yesterday. But there were plenty of guys on D that were out of position yesterday.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1039195354271367168[/tweet]

..... so holding KJ out another week would produce more snaps for Shaquem and Adam to continue their development. Not a bad trade off ...... not bad at all.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I worried that Shaquem might get discouraged after blowing his coverage's a couple of times, but I didn't see that. What I did see was him suck it up, and go out there, and played some pretty good ball the rest of the game. I think if I heard Pete right in the post game interview,Shaquem played 60 plays in his first go as a pro, and messed up on his coverage on less than 10% of those plays. Pete also said that was way more plays than what he had intended for him to play, but that Shaquem was the kind of player that wanted to play every down and didn't want to come out of the game unless he wasn't able to be effective.

Someone else already said it, that all of our defense looked out of sync, that is the one thing that practice can't do, and that live time playing will, is get everyone in sync with each other. Call it ESP or Intuitive, or whatever you like, but when a defensive unit or offensive unit, for that matter, plays together for awhile, they all seem to get in sync with each other and intuitively know what the other is going to do before they do it.

When that happens with this new collection of talent we have on the field now, it will be business as usual for the Seahawks. We didn't necessarily see anyone playing bad yesterday, what we saw was our talent pool being out of sync. Give us a few games and you'll see it all start coming together.

I'll be brief in my summary of officiating yesterday and make my assertion that the Bronco's were handed two free touchdowns, and that we were denied two on the basis of poor officiating. Brandon, and Will, both made touch downs that were denied, and Pete's red flag challenge, being ignored, gave the Bronco's a 1st down and a subsequent touchdown, followed by the worst touchdown call I've seen since the Seahawks vs Steelers Super Bowl Game. Not only was not one foot in bounds, but clearly a second foot, nowhere near touched the ground in bounds, and even in light of a review that Mr. Magoo could have called, and they gifted them another Touch Down.

That doesn't excuse the less than sterling performanes by our offense or defense on Sunday, there is clearly work that needs to be done, tempo, timing and synchronizing themselves as cohesive units. It's easy to argue in spite of all this, that the Seahawks could and should have walked off the field yesterday with a W instead of a L.

All the W's matter from this point on, if they have hopes of doing great things this season. As in recent years, we can't look to the officials to help us in close games, we can't afford to play close game, we need to take the referees out of the equation, like in Boxing, where you knock your opponent out, and thus eliminate the judges from the equation. If I saw one single player that needs to tighten up his game and muy pronto, is the Magic Man, Russell Wilson. I know it goes back to syncronization, but man he looked terrible out there yesterday.

Too many of Russell's passes were impossible for our receivers to catch, accuracy, speed, timing, all contributed to way too many missed opportunities, not to mention standing around in a collapsing pocket, instead of scrambling ahead for yards or rolling out and looking for better passing opportunities down field,

It seems to me that Russell has always been at his best when he's able to quick call his plays at a fast tempo and running plays that are designed for him to scramble out of the pocket and either run it or give his receiver core time to free themselves up for him to pass to. Our offensive line is doing a much better job of pass protecting and opening up creases for our running game, this year, and in all fairness Denver brings one of the best defenses in the NFL. They were going to be tough to handle by any offensive line right now.

As for Shaquem, or Griff, as more and more are referring to him these days, we as fans, need to not get too discouraged over his first game as a full fledged pro, and neither should he. If you look at Shaquem's history, he only gets better, there is no one in the NFL that will work harder to become better, than Shaquem Griffin, he's been showing the world what he's made of, for all of his life, don't think he's going to get discouraged over a bad day, if anything he will only be more determined and committed to being better in his next opportunity.

Keep the Faith Shaquem, "We Got Your Back! "

Go Seahawks!

chris98251

Reaction score
Jesus I wonder how you all performed your first day on the job, were you out performing the best person at your job for your employer?

He has been asked to not just learn the Sam but the MLB and then go to a pass rusher also, the Broncos targeted him and our corners for quick passes and runs. Oh and by the way the kid that was gashing us is the type of back that always gives our defense fits, the quick twitch slashing guy, just like the receivers that are quick and fast make us look bad.

The had a plan on defense also line up wide, keep Wilson in the pocket and confuse our reconstructed line, Line held up well for the most part except Ifedi who had a paper Bag on his head all game it appears because he wasn't stopping anyone on passing downs or runs wide right.

kf3339

Reaction score
I'm not going to fault the kid. He did his best considering being thrown to the wolves yesterday.