Sheldon Richardson and Jarren Reed.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I believe it's the best tandem the hawks have had at the DT since I've watched them. Talent wise I think Marcus Tubbs was on par along with Mebane. I don't think in recent history we have seen a better combo there.

2 freakish athletic big men and they're so young... I know parts of the defense such as Bennett and Avril are getting up there with age. However with Clark, Reed and Richardson (I hope we resign) still getting better, we are set for a very long time once again.

P.s. If McDowell can come back......

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tubbs was the CJ Prosise of the Dline back then. Tez and Sam Adams were quite the force during the mid to late 90's.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
They're probably going to get some notoriety in the media here pretty soon. Jarran Reed had 7 tackles (all solo) 3 for loses, a sack and a forced fumble. Beast of a game. SR isn't getting the stats but he is blowing up the line while being mostly double teamed and getting pressure on the QB. We now have not only run stuffing in the middle but QB pressure as well. Combine this with Clark and Bennett on the edge and it is lethal. Also seeing our back up DL's getting some success as well. Last I saw the D have all 3 things combined was in 2013 (lost the depth in 2014). Not concluding anything but it is definitely encouraging.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I dunno... Cortez and Sam Adams wreaked some havoc in their day

Fade

Reaction score
The 1996 Seahawks

Sinclair - Kennedy - Adams - McCrary

was the best starting D-Line the Hawks ever had.

Clark - Reed - Richardson - McDowell in a couple years maybe.

2013 was the best if you count the backups though.

Big Red - Mebane - McDaniel - Clemons
Avril - Bennett - McDonald off the bench w/ Irvin getting DE snaps as well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There have been some really good combos. One that includes Tez is probably the best and that's pretty vague for a reason.

Other than that, in our more modern era, I think you have to include Bennett in that conversation even if just strictly related to 3rd downs. That's still a lot of downs and a lot of production over the years. Some of those years with Mebane would be up there. Bane was a true anchor with awesome lateral quickness. His arm length was odd for his height and his center of gravity doubled with his 6'1 frame and long arms to make a nary immovable object even on a double team.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Fade":o6l9o9xr said:
The 1996 Seahawks

Sinclair - Kennedy - Adams - McCrary

was the best starting D-Line the Hawks ever had.

Right on. People forget those four generated 40 sacks by themselves that year. Unbelievably dominate group. McCrary left in Free Agency for Baltimore the following year, and Adams followed a couple years later. Sinclair still had a few good years before he developed diabetes and tailed off at age 31. But it was an amazing group for that one year they were together.

enamel

Reaction score
In 2005 Tubbs and Rocky Bernard produced 14 sacks from the interior. Not better than Tez/Adams, but probably better than Reed/Richardson. We've had some good eras of interior d-line play.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Richardson gets double teamed quite often and still gets some serious interior pressure. Said it a few times, this is what the defense has been missing. Outside pressure was never the issue on passing plays and interior run stopping has always been good. A guy like Richardson who can collapse the pocket makes it even easier for the outside guys to get after the QB.

sutz

Reaction score
It's really hard to compare players from different eras, but Tez/Adams might have succeeded in any era.

I think you have to like what we're doing the past couple of games. Run stuffing combined with good push on passing downs is a hard combination to find. Looks like we have it here this year.

Latest posts