Should R. Sherman play against the best wr?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
byau":1epm0203 said:
Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to see Sherm switch once in awhile, almost like a trick play on special teams, when the opposing offense is so used to Sherm staying on his side - it would throw them for a bit of a loop every now and then and then they have to think about it after that even if Sherm only does it once (same reason why I'd love to see Kam and heck Jimmy Graham try that hurdler's PAT or Field Goal block every once in awhile)

Just saying I'd rather the norm stay as it is
He DOES switch once in a while. As it should be.

byau

Reaction score
BlueTalon":30h3re7j said:
byau":30h3re7j said:
Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to see Sherm switch once in awhile, almost like a trick play on special teams, when the opposing offense is so used to Sherm staying on his side - it would throw them for a bit of a loop every now and then and then they have to think about it after that even if Sherm only does it once (same reason why I'd love to see Kam and heck Jimmy Graham try that hurdler's PAT or Field Goal block every once in awhile)

Just saying I'd rather the norm stay as it is

I only recall him switching at the line of scrimmage when all other CBs were getting toasted. I think it was against the Cowboys and he lined up with Dez. (And wasn't effective)

In other words, I do not recall him switching at the line otherwise from a point of strength where everything is going well and our coaches do it just to play with the other team's mind - I only remember him switching at scrimmage when things on the defense were NOT working

I do recall him switching from left to right while in motion and covering man, but he would still line up on the left side at scrimmage.

And so what I'm saying is once in awhile it would be fun to pop it in there just to throw in some wrenches - like the opposing O is not doing well, let's keep our best guy away from Sherm and then woot what's going on for this one down we just switched Sherm over anyway for the heck of it how you gonna deal with it kind of thing.

(Am I recalling something different than you are? )

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Of course Sherm should play against the best WR. When the best WR lines up on that side.

And the SB? They had to keep Sherm over there, he was playing with one arm.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
byau":29xdlwsn said:
BlueTalon":29xdlwsn said:
I only recall him switching at the line of scrimmage when all other CBs were getting toasted. I think it was against the Cowboys and he lined up with Dez. (And wasn't effective)

In other words, I do not recall him switching at the line otherwise from a point of strength where everything is going well and our coaches do it just to play with the other team's mind - I only remember him switching at scrimmage when things on the defense were NOT working

I do recall him switching from left to right while in motion and covering man, but he would still line up on the left side at scrimmage.

And so what I'm saying is once in awhile it would be fun to pop it in there just to throw in some wrenches - like the opposing O is not doing well, let's keep our best guy away from Sherm and then woot what's going on for this one down we just switched Sherm over anyway for the heck of it how you gonna deal with it kind of thing.

(Am I recalling something different than you are? )
I distinctly remember Sherman lining up against Anquan Boldin against the digits when Boldin was lined up on the offense's left side, and that's where the play started. That might have been during the 2013 season though, my memory is a little foggy on that point.

Doing what you are thinking of can be too cute, and backfire badly. One of the plays that burned us for a TD last season was when Sherman followed a receiver inside and Kam Chancellor covered the outside.

No thanks. I'd much prefer our players just do what they do best, and leave it at that. That actually is part of the mystique of our defense -- we don't have to fool the other team in order to beat them.

Shock2k

Reaction score
I let you know when I see how well Cary Williams fits into the LOB scheme/technique. We had 1 good and 1 great CB covering the other side over the past 3 years.

Now Sherman has said it would be a sign of disrespect to the other CB if he shadowed. But if Cary is getting burned with explosive plays, you might see it happen. You know how Pete feels about explosive plays.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1jtm6dpe said:
Nope don't fix what's not broken. Earl was hurt, Kam was hurt, Sherm was hurt, Lane got a broken arm. If they were all healthy it would of been different, if Earl was 100 percent he would of been able to help on the other side but since he wasn't it made it easier for teams to pass on that side.

Hindsight being 20/20 realizing the above, they should have had RS following the #1 for the SB, but assuming everyone is healthy, leave the system as-is. It's good to leave things as-is when it's working, but if it's getting exploited for a weakness, time to make an adjustment.

Latest posts