Shout out to Solari and Schotty

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
It's so damn exciting watching this offense now. With Solari's great work with the pass protection, Russ is approaching his passing zenith. Schotty is in a groove and has found what works. More to come!

Fade

Reaction score
Solari not only has brought better fundamentals, technique, and being assignment correct to the table, but in combination with Schotty they do far more variety wise in the run game. Making it harder for opposing teams to prepare for. Cable was cool with inside zone, wide zone, zone read, and callled it a day. They are doing far more in the running game now which is critical when you want to be a run first team. It is a hybrid blend between what Seattle has always done, with what Solari brings technique wise, mixed with what Schotty did with the Jets. They come at you in a multitude of ways, and Russ is erasing 1 defensive player nearly every run snap as he is a threat to keep, and teams have to account for that. They play with brains and brawn.

Schotty in the redzone has been phenomenal. A stark contrast to the previous 6 seasons where I feel the team consistently underachieved. Middle fingers are now no longer necessary. I can only recall one actual bad wtf redzone play call. Game 1 vs Denver. 1st and Goal from the 5, and they call a toss sweep with Penny (Instead of running it straight ahead with Davis or Carson.) Schotty fixed this immediately and hasn't done it since in the redzone. That is is really. Schotty also will continue to hammer plays that are working throughout out the game instead of going away from them which the previous guy was notorious for.

Just a small nitpick would be to find a way to get some short quick passes, and running back screens blended into what they are already doing. Plus some RPOs coming off of the mesh of the zone read.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This offense reminds me of the Jets under Schotty but with a much better QB running the show and a little better understanding of the scheme. The Jets biggest issue during their run was an inability to stretch the field at all, so if the run game wasn't working, quick hitters wouldn't either and Sanchez would throw 40 times for like 200 yards. Russ has been torching defenses with play action and still throws one of the nicest deep balls in the NFL which seems to work every time. I wasn't thrilled with the Schotty hiring, however he is proving me wrong so far. The run game looks the best it ever has under Pete and that is making life for Russell so much easier.

Solari is a wizard and it's depressing to think how poorly the line has been coached by Cable for the past few years. Seeing Carson get past the line without having to make 2 players miss in the backfield is a dream come true.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":3soqsciu said:
Solari not only has brought better fundamentals, technique, and being assignment correct to the table, but in combination with Schotty they do far more variety wise in the run game. Making it harder for opposing teams to prepare for. Cable was cool with inside zone, wide zone, zone read, and callled it a day. They are doing far more in the running game now which is critical when you want to be a run first team. It is a hybrid blend between what Seattle has always done, with what Solari brings technique wise, mixed with what Schotty did with the Jets. They come at you in a multitude of ways, and Russ is erasing 1 defensive player nearly every run snap as he is a threat to keep, and teams have to account for that. They play with brains and brawn.

Schotty in the redzone has been phenomenal. A stark contrast to the previous 6 seasons where I feel the team consistently underachieved. Middle fingers are now no longer necessary. I can only recall one actual bad wtf redzone play call. Game 1 vs Denver. 1st and Goal from the 5, and they call a toss sweep with Penny (Instead of running it straight ahead with Davis or Carson.) Schotty fixed this immediately and hasn't done it since in the redzone. That is is really. Schotty also will continue to hammer plays that are working throughout out the game instead of going away from them which the previous guy was notorious for.

Just a small nitpick would be to find a way to get some short quick passes, and running back screens blended into what they are already doing. Plus some RPOs coming off of the mesh of the zone read.

They do use RB screens, but you need to know when to use them, fast LB's can eat them up, knowing what you can take and when and the situation.

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
Stacked and bunch formations lead to predictable windows in the coverage. We are using more of these on third down where Wilson can now just plant and throw instead of waiting and waiting to see who comes open. I think this is a huge reason for the reduction in sacks and the improved conversion rate on third down and that's mainly on the OC.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":dybhe808 said:
This offense reminds me of the Jets under Schotty but with a much better QB running the show and a little better understanding of the scheme. The Jets biggest issue during their run was an inability to stretch the field at all, so if the run game wasn't working, quick hitters wouldn't either and Sanchez would throw 40 times for like 200 yards. Russ has been torching defenses with play action and still throws one of the nicest deep balls in the NFL which seems to work every time. I wasn't thrilled with the Schotty hiring, however he is proving me wrong so far. The run game looks the best it ever has under Pete and that is making life for Russell so much easier.

Solari is a wizard and it's depressing to think how poorly the line has been coached by Cable for the past few years. Seeing Carson get past the line without having to make 2 players miss in the backfield is a dream come true.
This ^ AND, Carson with his speedy power runs, refuses to let the 1st & sometimes even 2nd or 3rd contacts slow him up.
Davis likes to follow suit with the Chris Carson leg churns.
This whole Offense is FINALLY a legit threat under Solari & Schottenheimer.

xray

Reaction score
i did not know until recently that Carroll's son Brennan is Solari's assistant line coach. Interesting.

capncrunch

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2k7eg7ik said:
The play calling has been phenominal.

Schottenheimer helped a Jets team get to two-consecutive AFC championship games with Mark Sanchez at QB. Now he has Russell Wilson to work with.

Play calling has been a breath of fresh air for the last five games and counting.

This quote definitely resonates with me. Yeah. It finally looks like we know what we are doing. Solari also reeks of competency. These two together are dangerous. I love it.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
TasteTheBeastmode":3mcd2zw6 said:
Stacked and bunch formations lead to predictable windows in the coverage. We are using more of these on third down where Wilson can now just plant and throw instead of waiting and waiting to see who comes open. I think this is a huge reason for the reduction in sacks and the improved conversion rate on third down and that's mainly on the OC.

Thanks this answers a question I want to ask. I was wondering if we are seeing route concepts that we haven't seen previously allowing guys to get open for easier first down conversions

Jville

Reaction score
Big shout out, as well, to key decision makers Pete Carroll and John Schneider.

Losing line coach Mike Solari in the opening days of the Pete Carroll era was a huge loss. I understand why he elected to go elsewhere and admit to moaning and groaning about his (outside my control) departure for far to long. For me, Pete and John's bet on signing Duane Brown was the starting point for turning the blocking game around.

Duane Brown has been the, on the field, point man for upgrading the play of linemen and tight ends and running backs and our treasured quarterback. When all pro Duane Brown called out Russell Wilson in a game, that caught my attention. When Brown called out Wilson in front of everyone in a follow up game, I knew he was the change agent that Pete and John sought. Both players and staff took note. And, the necessary changes followed.

Opportunity and happenstance invited Pete and John to add veteran guards Fluker and Sweezy to the 2018 team. Smart, and here we are watching the growth of this remarkable 2018 blocking game. Good Karma seems to accompany good men.

The team is in good and smart hands.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":2ev2c6xn said:

Losing line coach Mike Solari in the opening days of the Pete Carroll era was a huge loss. I understand why he elected to go elsewhere and admit to moaning and groaning about his (outside my control) departure for far to long. For me, Pete and John's bet on signing Duane Brown was the starting point for turning the blocking game around.

Duane Brown has been the, on the field, point man for upgrading the play of linemen and tight ends and running backs and our treasured quarterback. When all pro Duane Brown called out Russell Wilson in a game, that caught my attention. When Brown called out Wilson in front of everyone in a follow up game, I knew he was the change agent that Pete and John sought. Both players and staff took note. And, the necessary changes followed.

Opportunity and happenstance invited Pete and John to add veteran guards Fluker and Sweezy to the 2018 team. Smart, and here we are watching the growth of this remarkable 2018 blocking game. Good Karma seems to accompany good men.

The whole reason Solari was let go was because Pete was in love with the Zone blocking scheme of Gibbs, Cable was a protégé of his and there you have it.

Pete had to eat some crow of sorts to bring him back I imagine, props to Pete for doing that.

Just wonder what might have been, if we had kept him instead of changing schemes and doing a complete line overhaul in the beginning how many skill players and or Edge rushers would we have had that were wasted on Line experiments, what could he have done with Okung etc

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1kdq70rs said:
Jville":1kdq70rs said:

The whole reason Solari was let go was because Pete was in love with the Zone blocking scheme of Gibbs, Cable was a protégé of his and there you have it.

Pete had to eat some crow of sorts to bring him back I imagine, props to Pete for doing that.

Just wonder what might have been, if we had kept him instead of changing schemes and doing a complete line overhaul in the beginning how many skill players and or Edge rushers would we have had that were wasted on Line experiments, what could he have done with Okung etc

The depth that reached can be measured in fathoms!

Gives us all the dumb ass Cable picks and trades and FA signings that were born to fail for starters.

I say it cost us minimum of 2 Lombardi's myself.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":3moi7ju7 said:
Jville":3moi7ju7 said:

With all due respect, I think your wrong about Solari's departure and circumstances.

Seattle most definitely wanted Solari to stay on with the Seahawks. However, Solari chose not to follow up 2 years under two different head coaches with a third year under a third head coach. To many, the Seahawks looked like a very unstable and unpredictable environment at the time. There just wasn't enough time to convince Solari to stay. It was Solari's decision to seize an opportunity elsewhere that triggered Pete into talking Gibbs into coming out of retirement. A hire that, if I recall correctly, never made it into the regular season. Selling the simplicity of zone blocking and Carroll's defense proved to be, at the time, a marketing success .... especially when they began to surprise outsiders with their success.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":2wexyl97 said:
chris98251":2wexyl97 said:
Jville":2wexyl97 said:

With all due respect, I think your wrong about Solari's departure and circumstances.

Seattle most definitely wanted Solari to stay on with the Seahawks. However, Solari chose not to follow up 2 years under two different head coaches with a third year under a third head coach. To many, the Seahawks looked like a very unstable and unpredictable environment at the time. There just wasn't enough time to convince Solari to stay. It was Solari's decision to seize an opportunity elsewhere that triggered Pete into talking Gibbs into coming out of retirement. A hire that, if I recall correctly, never made it into the regular season. Selling the simplicity of zone blocking and Carroll's defense proved to be, at the time, a marketing success .... especially when they began to surprise outsiders with their success.

Pete was making overtures to Gibbs right away due to his scheme being that same one at USC, I am sure he wanted Solari to stay but he was going to be second fiddle here under those circumstances, wish he would have stayed also. With Gibbs backing out last moment we ended up with what we got.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":2j1flp1z said:
Jville":2j1flp1z said:
chris98251":2j1flp1z said:
Jville":2j1flp1z said:

Pete was making overtures to Gibbs right away due to his scheme being that same one at USC, I am sure he wanted Solari to stay but he was going to be second fiddle here under those circumstances, wish he would have stayed also. With Gibbs backing out last moment we ended up with what we got.

I had forgotten that Pete reportedly wanted Mike Solari to stay on as the tight ends coach. That made the Solari return to the 49ers as their offensive line coach an easy decision.

Latest posts