SLB Position

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Guys, if you read what Schneider said vs the original report, Clark isn't going to be tried at SLB. He's only going to be filling the weak side pass rusher role that Irvin was manning.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't want to see Frank Clark having flat responsibility against play-action. I think the 3rd DE has the opportunity to make a bigger impact on the outcome of games. I'm actually pretty comfortable with Mike Morgan out there. Don't put it past Pete and John to think outside the box on this one though, much like they did with Irvin, and possibly change that SAM role ever so slightly to take advantage of a player's strengths, like maybe a Pinkins or some kind of physical freak.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The Leo and SLB have the same run gap responsibilities. You really have to set a hard edge, whether that be a TE or a full on NFL pulling gaurd. Kam is a freak of nature to be able to do what he does at 230 pounds. 99% of guys at that weight aren't going to be able to do that on a consistent basis. Morgan isn't much bigger than Kam if at all and I've watched him have problems with it. Pinkins, while a SPARQ freak....you just don't ask that of a guy at that size. Irvin came in as a rook at 6'3 248 and had problems and he's actually a very stout athlete by nature. His getting to 260 was on purpose.

All I'm saying is that it's not to be taken lightly. Especially when you're in the playoffs and someone is beating on a crack in the wall.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Cassius Marsh

3-Cone 7.08 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle 4.25 seconds

HEIGHT 6'4"

ARM LENGTH 32 3/4"

WEIGHT 252LBS.

HAND 9 1/2"

BOTTOM LINE Very active, high-motor, steady, consistent producer. Lacks ideal bulk for the inside and speed to work the edges, but can set the edge and bring value to an odd front in a LOLB role or as a Sam linebacker. Is most natural moving forward piercing gaps. Will need to be managed, needs to cut down on errors and must learn to play within the structure of the defense.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cas ... id=2543868

kearly

Reaction score
Cassius Marsh is basically a slow version of O'Brien Schofield.

Tical21":2qcen2pt said:
I don't want to see Frank Clark having flat responsibility against play-action. I think the 3rd DE has the opportunity to make a bigger impact on the outcome of games. I'm actually pretty comfortable with Mike Morgan out there. Don't put it past Pete and John to think outside the box on this one though, much like they did with Irvin, and possibly change that SAM role ever so slightly to take advantage of a player's strengths, like maybe a Pinkins or some kind of physical freak.

Last preseason I was surprised by how instinctive Pinkins looked for a guy that had just converted to the position. It's also pretty cool seeing a 6'3" linebacker with 4.4 speed.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I like Pinkins a lot as an option at linebacker. His athleticism is amazing and I think they've wanted to get him on the field for a while now but just haven't been able to find the right fit. Maybe SAM is somewhere he can excel.

I also think they may take a look at Courtney Upshaw if he lasts until the may 12th deadline. Upshaw has taken kind of a similar road as Bruce Irvin. Originally drafted for his pass rush he became more valuable as an edge setting OLB. I just don't know if he's fast enough to play the position in our defense. I think he's a little faster than Marsh though.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I really want to like Marsh but somehow he seems like he's too often just half a step slow making the play; where Frank Clark gets the sack, Marsh gets pressure but doesn't get there, or the QB slips his rush. Of course, Clark might be an unfair comparison, but I'd like to see Marsh start consistently getting home.

My hope would be that it's a matter of Marsh becoming a half step quicker *mentally* with his reads and reactions, just being healthy, and adjusting to NFL speed.

Seafan

Reaction score
kearly":x8rmj86c said:
I'm curious to see how Clark would look at SAM. It's worth noting that Clark was originally a safety in high school.

It seems like a waste of Clark's precocious talent for manhandling blockers at the line, but as long as this is only a trial balloon or an attempt to find Clark a few extra snaps, I have no problem with it.

My first thought was Clark would simply be replacing Irvin's pass rushing. I don't know if they actually plan to try him at Sam but he was awesome in preseason at dropping runners in the backfield. It seems to me that Pete is adamant at making him an edge rusher. IMO he will be a lot better at rushing than Irvin.

Latest posts