So What did Dallas offer for Earl Thomas?

ivotuk

Reaction score
It gets so tiring seeing people bolster their arguments with "hyperbolic" stats or information. There has been a lot of disinformation, by Networks and supposed "Insiders" that will take a Tweet and turn it in to a completely "factual" story using said hyperbole and innuendo.

Case in point, a headline meant to upset Seahawks and Dallas fans. "Dallas offers 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas and Seattle turns them down!"

Not. True. But that story sure has legs. "BloggingTheBoys" even ran with it, only to correct the information later on. (Thus demonstrating their integrity).

Report: Cowboys only willing to give 3rd round pick for Earl Thomas not “2nd and change” Seahawks want

Ian [Rappaport] notes something that we’ve heard before, but hearing it again and hearing it so close to kickoff in Week 1 helps reaffirm it. The Cowboys are willing to give up a third-round pick, but the Seahawks want “a second and change.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/9/ ... hawks-want

John Clayton has been saying the same thing since the second round rumor started. "That is not true. Dallas never offered a 2nd round pick." He said it multiple times on 710, on different shows at different times. Yet you still hear some TV and Podcast/Radio Mediots still repeating the 2nd round pick rumor. It's click-bait, meant to enrage and upset fans, spread disinformation and get people to go to websites.

When you hear these people spreading that rumor, move them to your "distrusted" list immediately. They have zero journalistic integrity. Either that, or they're willing to believe anything. Either way, they belong on that list.

Now, having said all of that, is there a chance that Dallas said "2nd round pick for Earl?" Yes, there's a chance because, only a Fool would trust anything they see or read on the internet. But, if you use common sense, and find several, what you believe to be reputable sources saying the same thing, then you've got the most accurate answer you're going to find.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I thought it was Schefter who came up with the second-round rumor.

EDIT: Yep, found it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1037366276161724417[/tweet]

Schefter can be wrong, but I still consider him a good source.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6462tpd0 said:
I thought it was Schefter who came up with the second-round rumor.

EDIT: Yep, found it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1037366276161724417[/tweet]

Schefter can be wrong, but I still consider him a good source.

That is quite a find!! :roll:

D

DomeHawk

I wonder how much ET's refusal to get his leg correctly surgically repaired the first time had to do with all of this. If you look at the video of this latest break that wasn't much of a hit, certainly not one that you would expect a broken leg as the outcome.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2mvp6r71 said:
I wonder how much ET's refusal to get his leg correctly surgically repaired the first time had to do with all of this. If you look at the video of this latest break that wasn't much of a hit, certainly not one that you would expect a broken leg as the outcome.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Leon Washington got a rod put in his leg and he came back fine for a year or two. Tyler Lockett I believe had a rod placed in his leg.

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument, but I think strengthening a broken leg with a rod, for a football player would be the better choice. But without all the information that Earl had when he made his decision, it's impossible for us to figure out which way was the better choice.

"Asked if doctors inserted a rod to help stabilize Lockett’s leg, Carroll said: “They did everything. They did the whole thing to make sure it was secure as possible.”"

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/225906/pe ... ia-fibula/

From an article on Earl Thomas leg break

"Thomas fractured the same tibia which he had also fractured in 2016, after allowing it to heal naturally."

“If the bone heals in a normal anatomic position, then over time the area around the fracture will have the same strength as the rest of the bone, and will have the same risk of a fracture as it did before the injury."

"Earl Thomas’s original fracture was likely aligned nicely and very stable, allowing him to recover without surgery.

Certainly, if he had it fixed with an intramedullary rod, the chance of refracture would have been significantly lower. However, the players and their surgeons need to weigh the risks of surgery with the risks of fracture displacement or re-injury."

http://www.prolianceorthopedicassociate ... valuation/

Back to my original post, I've seen Schefter broadcasting more things in error over the past couple of years than ever before. He used to be extremely accurate, but with the pressure of everybody else getting information out so fast, I think he's dropped his standards a little.

John Clayton on the other hand was very emphatic about a 2nd not being offered. And he repeated the comment several times over a couple of weeks.

I forget where I heard it, might have been 710, but there was "speculation" that Dallas put that rumor out there so that when they attempt to sign Earl after the season, it would put them in a better light. But, that's speculation.

Seymour

Reaction score
The Seahawks recommended surgery (add rod), and Earl elected not to. The rod obviously increases the strength to the bone in that area.

IMO that decision was at least part of their reluctance. Buddying up with Garrett obviously didn't help.

chris98251

Reaction score
Normal people who don't heal up to usability can have time for the structure around the bone to become normal again, Earl is not Normal people, he was pushing rehab and then running as soon as he could then adding strengthening etc not to mention as soon as practicing having that stress and the guys blocking and taking out his legs. That's not what typical people have going on. So there is a chance that it would take longer for that structure around the break to become normal. Why for what he does a rod would help to stabilize it under his conditions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1qxshbgr said:
Normal people who don't heal up to usability can have time for the structure around the bone to become normal again, Earl is not Normal people, he was pushing rehab and then running as soon as he could then adding strengthening etc not to mention as soon as practicing having that stress and the guys blocking and taking out his legs. That's not what typical people have going on. So there is a chance that it would take longer for that structure around the break to become normal. Why for what he does a rod would help to stabilize it under his conditions.
Did he get the rod this time?

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1q93wx5w said:
chris98251":1q93wx5w said:
Did he get the rod this time?

Yes.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
An argument against my post, listening to Clayton on DD&M and they asked him why Dallas gave up a 1st for Amari Cooper but wouldn't trade for Earl. John Clayton never mentioned what the actual offer was, but DD&M kept mentioning a 2nd. Clayton not saying one way or the other what Dallas offered makes one wonder. But maybe he's tired of repeating his answer to the same people that keep making the same statements.

Clayton had some great points about value though. They desperately need a #1 receiver, and Amari Cooper is still on his rookie contract through 2019 which saves a TON of money. Earl would have cost them a lot against their salary cap. Then there's the age and injury history. Breaking the same leg twice...

IMHO, Jerry Jones is getting old, and after this recent loss, he's panicking and willing to give up anything in hopes for a shot at a title. The NFC East isn't all that formidable this year, so maybe he thinks he's got a chance to win it. And he's still trying to recreate that team from the 90s which will never happen.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Don't see why it matters. As of now, Earl is essentially no longer a Seahawk and that will be official in February.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2cvgm9wj said:
Don't see why it matters. As of now, Earl is essentially no longer a Seahawk and that will be official in February.

Your delight drips from the screen.

xray

Reaction score
Earl Thomas doesn't have a reliable leg in his body right now or maybe never ...he got there with playing hard to the whistle...But the last two years he gets severe injuries....I would hope that the Hawks take the best deal they can get.As far as the Dallas deal....don't know/

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":1kna2ftr said:
The Seahawks recommended surgery (add rod), and Earl elected not to. The rod obviously increases the strength to the bone in that area.

IMO that decision was at least part of their reluctance. Buddying up with Garrett obviously didn't help.

If one choices to kiss azz, at least kiss the right azz. Since when Garrett has handle on roster? Earl’s quest for long term $$$ contract was honorable and he deserved one. The way he went about it was totally against his goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk