So why has John Ursua not been in a reg season game yet?!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1p6q2obh said:
chris98251":1p6q2obh said:
toffee":1p6q2obh said:
Who had the most snaps as our slot in the last two games?

The question is who would you bump to activate him ? Metcalf? Lockett? Brown? Turner?

No, no, yes, why not.

Why would you suddenly bump up Ursua over Turner at this point? In addition to special teams contributions, Turner just had 3 catches for 54 yards at Pittsburgh and looked very good. I like Ursua as a potential slot guy down the road, but Turner is the real overlooked commodity at this point.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
He's not in the game because he's not game ready. All most of us as fans see are the penalties or average play from Brown. But then what if Ursua goes out and screws up, or causes a penalty like Barton did in the Bengals game? At the end of the day, coaches are trying to win games. And their jobs are on the line. They don't get to experiment and then eat crow like the rest of us.

If they're not seeing what they need to from Ursua in practice, then it's not his time yet. I have no doubt Ursua will be a stud, but the coaching staff has a different responsibility from fans. Ursua is an unknown. Great preseason, but that's all we know so far

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He needs to be returning punts.

Seeing Tyler L out there returning punts is freaking me out. It is too risky. If Tyler gets hurt out offense takes a huge hit.

Ursua should be out there on point returns.

sutz

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":13rt7y14 said:

Seeing Tyler L out there returning punts is freaking me out. It is too risky. If Tyler gets hurt out offense takes a huge hit.

Has he ever done that before? After all, the most important part about returning punts is catching the ball. That can be tricky and you don't want somebody back there who's going to muff it too often.

Besides, I'm not sure he's all that fast.

James in PA

Reaction score
Ursua is inactive today. :(

I guess they’re saving him for the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkGA

Reaction score
Glad he wasn't active so they had more room for special teamers.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":14zcfp6q said:
I too would like to see him active and on the field. He can't do any less than Jaron Brown.

Read my mind on that one.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3p71hmnd said:

John Ursua is an elite threat as a punt returner, just check his college numbers.
Freshman year, at Hawaii...team’s primary punt returner...logged eight returns for 63 yards...exploded for a 30-yard return versus New Mexico (Oct. 29), his longest return of the season.
Sophomore year, followed up with an electrifying 2 punt returns for 11 yards.
There ya go, 10 punt returns, 74 yards, No mention of any muffs, so that settles it, sit Tyler on punt returns, play Ursua.
OK, maybe not inspiring numbers, but if Ursua can fair catch and not muff, it's all good.

TwistedHusky, I do actually agree 1000% with you that seeing broken leg Lockett out there on punt returns feels risky given his importance to the offense. I sorta recall someone doing decent on punt returns in preseason but can't recall who it was or if I am hallucinating/projecting and it was an opponent.

Malik Turner has 0 stats for punt and KO returns in college.
Rashaad Penny had some pretty inspiring KO returns in college, but only did 2 punt returns, as a senior. However... his punt return numbers were 2 returns for 70 yards, with a TD.

So use Penny, trade for Tate, or maybe bring Nate Burleson out of retirement?