Some head scratching decisions by our front office

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Williams was probably cut becuase all he was good at was the 9 route. he played no special teams. and let me also point out if anyone was saying rice wasn't an issue you shouldn't be sad over this cut. becuase, if rice can't get seperation in his ability to run all the routes, why would anyone keep williams who can only take balls away from people in one route :)
heheh i hope that came out right.

kf3339

Reaction score
razgriz737":1mnzdf7y said:
I'm not really bothered by the Williams cut, but I still can't wrap my head around letting McGrath go.

^This. That was the one cut that really didn't make sense to me at all. It left us really thin at TE which has come back to bite us in the rear already this season.

The other cuts have made some sense once the season started. I still do hope though that they figure a way to re-sign MRob back for the stretch run if he is healthy and in game shape. He could really be useful this year.

Spokanefan

Reaction score
Don't think we'll have problem making space for Percy; as soon as Unger gets healthy, Spitz will become immediately expendable, and/or when Breno OR Okung get right, Hauptmann could/should likewise be cut. Could even be that both of these cuts happen as health returns to the O-line, and then one of our PS receivers moves up for the short term, i.e., Walters, Clark, or even Lenz....

kearly

Reaction score
There have definitely been some head scratching decisions, but most of them have been remedied already (keeping only 2 TEs at the start, keeping Lotulelei, keeping Person). Sure, we still have Coleman instead of Mike Rob and ditched promising potential starters in Bradford and Howard, and you could argue that Williams was a foolish cut as well.

But the reason I stay calm when this FO makes an apparent mistake is not just because of their track record of success- it's because of their track record of realizing mistakes and correcting them relatively quickly. I'd guess that fullback won't be a problem next year. I'd guess that they can overcome the losses of Howard and Bradford with quality roster additions on the cheap like they always do. I'd guess that Williams was too erratic for them, and they probably feel very optimistic about Harvin's return table. And maybe they see Rice sticking around after this year. Who knows?

I think they deserve credit for some of the good moves they've made recently, too. I love the Daniels signing, I think the 49ers were foolish to bail on him. As much as I'd like Tjack to be our backup for years and years, he's probably playing his way out of our budget for next offseason. Davis has probably hurt the team as much as he's helped, but we've already seen proof this season that having 3 TEs on the depth chart is essential. Cutting Brooks wasn't something I would have done, but he cleared waivers and made Seattle's PS. He's on track to get another chance with us next August.

zayden185

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2bycufpz said:
I do not understand the Stephen Williams cut AT ALL.

Next year, if we cut Rice, it would have been nice to have a guy who can stretch the field.

Fast tall receivers are not that always easy to find. And then we later brought in a WR that I doubt could play for the Jags.

I hope Stephen Williams was a jerk or something, because otherwise that cut made no sense.

Then again, I am still of the opinion that losing Robinson has really hurt us this year, so I was already weird about FO choices thus far.

Get cheaper and better free agents/draft picks from biz-standpoint

But..have seen Kearse giver behind guy's...FAnundrafted rookie

Base salary...

Seeker

Reaction score
Stephen Williams proved to be exactly what he was rumored to be (preseason beast, regular season bust).
Pete could wait 11 more games for Stephen to catch a pass but
Epicker2FxR5Mc05TbyLHbpwuZUdI sweetbrown autotune

IMO Stephen sealed his fate when he missed that sure touchdown that they went to Kearse with on the very next play for the win.

HansGruber

Reaction score
razgriz737":5ytlhvjz said:
I'm not really bothered by the Williams cut, but I still can't wrap my head around letting McGrath go.

Yeah, I've yet to hear a good reason for that cut. McGrath looked really good in the preseason. And now that he's starting for the Chiefs, he looks really good over there, too.
http://football.dailyherald.com/article ... 710069921/

I heard a few people state that he wasn't a good blocker. That is totally false. The Chiefs are raving about his blocking abilities, and that was his primary job as a high school athlete so he has a history of blocking experience at TE.

You can't say he's not a good receiver because he has 9 catches for 95 yards and a TD in his last two games. He's been looking really good as a receiver.

I think the McGrath cut was the worst mistake of the offseason, and I don't really trust the front office on this one. It was a bad move. The fact that undefeated KC is LOVING this guy speaks for itself.

Seeker

Reaction score
Blocking for Alex Smith does not = blocking for Russell Wilson.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HansGruber":1u6u16u3 said:
razgriz737":1u6u16u3 said:

Yeah, I've yet to hear a good reason for that cut. McGrath looked really good in the preseason. And now that he's starting for the Chiefs, he looks really good over there, too.
http://football.dailyherald.com/article ... 710069921/

I heard a few people state that he wasn't a good blocker. That is totally false. The Chiefs are raving about his blocking abilities, and that was his primary job as a high school athlete so he has a history of blocking experience at TE.

You can't say he's not a good receiver because he has 9 catches for 95 yards and a TD in his last two games. He's been looking really good as a receiver.

I think the McGrath cut was the worst mistake of the offseason, and I don't really trust the front office on this one. It was a bad move. The fact that undefeated KC is LOVING this guy speaks for itself.

Sure and every team runs the same system so a player on one team should be the same on another team...correct? Just because he is doing well with Chiefs doesn't mean he would have done well in Seattle. Two different teams and systems. There is a reason he is not in Seattle. He didn't fit their plans.

HansGruber

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2yyna54x said:
Sure and every team runs the same system so a player on one team should be the same on another team...correct? Just because he is doing well with Chiefs doesn't mean he would have done well in Seattle. Two different teams and systems. There is a reason he is not in Seattle. He didn't fit their plans.

If you're going to say McGrath couldn't have the same success here, make your point using specific arguments. Why can't he? How specifically did he not fit our system?

Pete Carroll said he was cut because we had injuries and suspensions along the defensive line and they needed to open spots for the DL. He also stated they were hoping to pickup McGrath later but KC snatched him up too soon.

Now, McGrath is playing great in KC, and is already becoming a cult hero among fans for his awesome beard and blocking skills. Andy Reid said he'll get a chance to start even when the regular starters come back because he's a great blocker with excellent hands. We saw the same thing here in the preseason, when he made some great catches and was playing very well against the starters.

As I said, that move stands out as a really bad move by our front office. They should never have gone into the season with only 2 TEs considering how many injuries and problems we've had at the position. McGrath is a million times better than Kellen Davis, and we could REALLY have used him with 3 of our starting OL injured.

nategreat

Reaction score
I like how everyone thinks that they know what decisions are best for the team, as opposed to the front office and Pete. It's great entertainment. But I guess that's what it means to be a fan, and at least it shows we care. But still.... there are a lot of things to consider here. We're not just talking snaps in games. I liked Stephen Williams. But I don't think I know what's best for this team. The front office has done a good job for the most part, and while I'm sure not every decision always works out for the best in the end, they definitely have more knowledge about those decisions than we do. They don't just cut people to cut people. There are reasons that go far beyond what we see.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HansGruber":2yt33tia said:
hawkfan68":2yt33tia said:

If you're going to say McGrath couldn't have the same success here, make your point using specific arguments. Why can't he? How specifically did he not fit our system?

Pete Carroll said he was cut because we had injuries and suspensions along the defensive line and they needed to open spots for the DL. He also stated they were hoping to pickup McGrath later but KC snatched him up too soon.

Now, McGrath is playing great in KC, and is already becoming a cult hero among fans for his awesome beard and blocking skills. Andy Reid said he'll get a chance to start even when the regular starters come back because he's a great blocker with excellent hands. We saw the same thing here in the preseason, when he made some great catches and was playing very well against the starters.

As I said, that move stands out as a really bad move by our front office. They should never have gone into the season with only 2 TEs considering how many injuries and problems we've had at the position. McGrath is a million times better than Kellen Davis, and we could REALLY have used him with 3 of our starting OL injured.

The specific argument is that PC/JS felt he didn't fit into the Seahawk plan. If you want reasons why, go ask them.

HansGruber

Reaction score
hawkfan68":nztl1n3b said:
HansGruber":nztl1n3b said:
hawkfan68":nztl1n3b said:

The specific argument is that PC/JS felt he didn't fit into the Seahawk plan. If you want reasons why, go ask them.

If that is true, why would Pete Carroll say he wasn't cut because he wasn't a good fit, but rather because we needed bodies on the defensive line?

Or are you telling me that you have a better idea of what Pete Carroll thinks than Pete Carroll does?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seeker":1oh8u9ss said:
But hey, KC really likes him in their death-by-1000 papercut offense. Not like the fit is different with us or anything along those lines. Not like our coaches liked Willson's speed or promise as a blocker as well. Do you s'pose they saw the same thing Rob Rang did in McGrath?; a technically sound 'plodder.' Complete 'head scratcher' yup!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HansGruber":1s2f9rkc said:
hawkfan68":1s2f9rkc said:
HansGruber":1s2f9rkc said:
hawkfan68":1s2f9rkc said:

If that is true, why would Pete Carroll say he wasn't cut because he wasn't a good fit, but rather because we needed bodies on the defensive line?

Or are you telling me that you have a better idea of what Pete Carroll thinks than Pete Carroll does?

When have you known Pete to speak remotely negative about a player he releases? He's much better scheme fit in KC's system.

HansGruber

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":14sx54l8 said:
When have you known Pete to speak remotely negative about a player he releases? He's much better scheme fit in KC's system.

Obviously I haven't been clear enough here.

In an interview with Brock and Danny on 710 ESPN, Pete Carroll was asked about the McGrath cut, and also the Bradford cut, and why the team had kept Loutuilelie (or however you spell his name). He responded that the team had multiple players out on the DL that they had to deal with. Danny O'Neill asked him about McGrath and he said they had to make hard choices to deal with DL issues, and had planned to sign McGrath later but KC snatched him up. He went on to say that Loutelielie had traits they felt could fit in at Bruce Irvin's role. I don't remember what he said about Bradford but basically the same thing, they were looking for guys they could plug in where injuries and suspensions had created holes on the DL. If anyone was cut because they didn't "fit the system", it was Bradford. And what he was saying didn't have anything to do with being nice. He was just dryly talking about team needs without even discussing specific players other than Loutoueleileielie.

I understand the Seahawks' reasoning and what they were doing. I just think it was a bad choice.

HansGruber

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3n1belzg said:
Seeker":3n1belzg said:
But hey, KC really likes him in their death-by-1000 papercut offense. Not like the fit is different with us or anything along those lines. Not like our coaches liked Willson's speed or promise as a blocker as well. Do you s'pose they saw the same thing Rob Rang did in McGrath?; a technically sound 'plodder.' Complete 'head scratcher' yup!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but Rob Rang was high on praise for McGrath all offseason, and you misquoted him.

His full quote was that McGrath was a plodder and the best TE on the team:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/on-the-airwav ... ining-camp

He's currently getting tons of press for his excellent performance in KC. I've been watching the Chiefs and he is playing better than any TE on our team including Zach Miller. Of course, I'm on a Seahawks board so all anyone is going to say here is that he sucks because Carroll waived him (with the intention of signing him to the PS).

http://fansided.com/2013/10/09/fantasy- ... d-pickups/
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/02/45 ... grath.html

Zach Miller currently has 8 catches for 76 yards and 2 TDs.
Sean McGrath has 15 catches for 180 yards and 1 TD.

It was STUPID to waive him and try to stash him on the practice squad. Being cute bit us on the ass, no matter how much anyone here tries to justify it. McGrath is already a star in KC, and we could really use his talents here, especially with Zach Miller injured.

themunn

Reaction score
HansGruber":3dpmpusw said:
I understand the Seahawks' reasoning and what they were doing. I just think it was a bad choice. I would have cut McCoy and kept McGrath, if for no other reason than he doesn't drop passes and he's a great blocker. My assumption is the team probably felt that McCoy was a safer bet because of his experience, and maybe he looked better in practice.

McCoy isn't and hasn't been taking up a roster spot.
As for McGrath not dropping passes - it's all good and well to say that now, but before joining the chiefs he had a career reception total of 0, so it's hardly as if there was a wealth of experience to base that on

HansGruber

Reaction score
themunn":13wd3j45 said:
HansGruber":13wd3j45 said:
I understand the Seahawks' reasoning and what they were doing. I just think it was a bad choice. I would have cut McCoy and kept McGrath, if for no other reason than he doesn't drop passes and he's a great blocker. My assumption is the team probably felt that McCoy was a safer bet because of his experience, and maybe he looked better in practice.

McCoy isn't and hasn't been taking up a roster spot.
As for McGrath not dropping passes - it's all good and well to say that now, but before joining the chiefs he had a career reception total of 0, so it's hardly as if there was a wealth of experience to base that on

BS, he was playing lights-out football in the preseason against starters. He was one of the best receivers on the field, and had a couple circus catches, one for a touchdown. Anyone with eyes could see he was the best TE on the field, and even Rob Rang thought so, as well as Brock Huard and everyone else that spent time at the VMAC.

And again, you guys need to stop saying he was cut because he wasn't good enough.

CARROLL SAID THE TEAM WANTED TO KEEP HIM and they were bummed that KC claimed him. Jesus H Christ, it's like talking to a wall.

Seattle tried to get cute with the waiver and lost a good player that we really needed. That's it. I'm not saying Carroll is a bad coach, just that this is a head-scratching decision by our front office.

Latest posts