Something about the Niners that is mentioned much

Hamhawk

Reaction score
mjwhitay":2w15zflt said:
Seattle had one of the “worst" receiving corps in football before #3 came to town. Everyone agreed. Sometimes a QB makes his receivers look good, sometimes it's the other way around. Wonder which one applies to Kaepernick?
:13: I think the jury is still out on hot consistent Kaep will be,...he has great physical skills, but teams that have good defenses and game plans can shut him down,....

McGruff

Reaction score
amill87":21aa79m1 said:
cover-2":21aa79m1 said:
The 49ers drafted a WR (A.J. Jenkins) in the 1st round in the 2012 draft, a TE in the 2nd round & a WR (Quinton Patton) in the 4th round in the 2013 draft....they have a freak of nature in Vernon Davis at TE and a very good WR in Crabtree. IMO the 49ers have tried to get receiving weapons for their offense.

Not sure if you realized it but you kinda proved my point. They have tried and failed.

No they have tried and Kaepernick has failed. He's a one read QB. Depth will never be developed or acknowledged as long as Kaepernick is their QB.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
There is still a lot of time left for CK to improve, but it isn't like the Niners didn't try to improve their WR and TE package. They just relied too much on one WR and didn't hit on their draft picks. Drafting is like gambling and sometimes you just get dealt a bad hand. Vance M, Patton and the addition of Boldin were moves made directly at adding "weapons".

Pete Carroll has a ton of talent in his radar out there. Guys he scouted that were just coming into College when he left USC. He always looks for speed and physically gifted guys that fly under the talent radar, then he gets them on board and gives them a chance, rewarding them for work. Sometimes it is what the staff does with those acquisitions and not just the player.

There is one more factor to consider. While I believe firmly that CK will improve, there is little value in adding weapons if the QB isn't using them or not capable of. It just seems to be the one component that is connected to everything. I know that CK is called "one read" and all that, but I see him as a guy that gets a rapport with a WR and milks that guy out. Take that one guy, maybe two out of the play and CK is not the same guy at all and the Niners offense becomes much less dynamic.

CandlestickBum

Reaction score
McGruff":1cxndx94 said:
amill87":1cxndx94 said:
cover-2":1cxndx94 said:
The 49ers drafted a WR (A.J. Jenkins) in the 1st round in the 2012 draft, a TE in the 2nd round & a WR (Quinton Patton) in the 4th round in the 2013 draft....they have a freak of nature in Vernon Davis at TE and a very good WR in Crabtree. IMO the 49ers have tried to get receiving weapons for their offense.

Not sure if you realized it but you kinda proved my point. They have tried and failed.

No they have tried and Kaepernick has failed. He's a one read QB. Depth will never be developed or acknowledged as long as Kaepernick is their QB.

Kaepernick has only started a single season's worth of games and during that time, he has shown he is one of the most athletically and physically gifted signal callers in the league.

If you look at the offense the 49ers run, it is probably the most complicated in the league and Kaepernick is still pretty green. Learning the offense and learning how to force the ball to second or third options when his primary option on the play is not open is very likely something he will learn in time.

I think both Wilson and Kaepernick have the potential to be elite quarterbacks some day if they can stay healthy. Based on how tiny Wilson is and how often I see him running for his life behind the line of scrimmage, I think I would give Kaepernick a better chance of that.

StoneCold

Reaction score
CandlestickBum":zjz0hnuk said:
McGruff":zjz0hnuk said:
amill87":zjz0hnuk said:
cover-2":zjz0hnuk said:

Kaepernick has only started a single season's worth of games and during that time, he has shown he is one of the most athletically and physically gifted signal callers in the league.

If you look at the offense the 49ers run, it is probably the most complicated in the league and Kaepernick is still pretty green. Learning the offense and learning how to force the ball to second or third options when his primary option on the play is not open is very likely something he will learn in time.

I think both Wilson and Kaepernick have the potential to be elite quarterbacks some day if they can stay healthy. Based on how tiny Wilson is and how often I see him running for his life behind the line of scrimmage, I think I would give Kaepernick a better chance of that.

Ha ha! Excellent trollage. Will be elite? Hmm, which of these two are being talked about for MVP?

SC

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
CandlestickBum":1cssym2s said:
McGruff":1cssym2s said:
amill87":1cssym2s said:
cover-2":1cssym2s said:

Man, not trying be arrogant, but Wilson is a vast improvement over CK. While i have said that CK is still going to improve, at this moment Wilson makes it look easy. Using the idea of potential durability is a really big reach.

Any QB can get hurt, CK included. RW was running a lot more when 2-3 OLine players were out. Sure he can get hurt, but there has been zero evidence to back up the idea that Wilson isn't durable.

I see posts from Niner fans wishing injury on Wilson during every game thread that they discuss the Hawks. It is like they just assume that it is going to happen because he isn't as big as CK. I have seen CK running for his life too, so I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I would be far more concerned about injuries with Kaep's slight build than Wilsons. He is built like Sherman.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
McGruff":owkvid55 said:
amill87":owkvid55 said:
cover-2":owkvid55 said:
I put it more on the coaching staff. They do things like sign a receiver in the 1st round and then never play him, sign Brandon Jacobs and then don't play him, sign Brian Westbrook and then don't play him. They could have 15 draft picks every year, and if they don't play the guys who make the team, it's never going to do them much good.

They are worse than Holmgren was about that, playing his favorite vets at the expense of everyone else.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Harbaugh is living off of the previous regime's success in terms of draft picks. Once those guys start to leave in FA the Whiners will be back to the bottom of the NFCW barrell and picking in the top 10 every year. Where they rightfully belong.

chris98251

Reaction score
Athletic and Physical doesn't mean good, if the head isn't as tuned in as the body or able to react to a given situation all those physical tools are wasted. There is a long history of QB's that have the physical traits of being a great QB only to fall by the wayside to a less physical speciman that has his head tuned into the game and can win.

It's still early, I would give Kaep till year three of playing to see if his game steps up to another level, if not then he will be on the trade block to somewhere else or a back up roll.

Giedi

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2cz6meiy said:
There is still a lot of time left for CK to improve, but it isn't like the Niners didn't try to improve their WR and TE package. They just relied too much on one WR and didn't hit on their draft picks. Drafting is like gambling and sometimes you just get dealt a bad hand. Vance M, Patton and the addition of Boldin were moves made directly at adding "weapons".

Pete Carroll has a ton of talent in his radar out there. Guys he scouted that were just coming into College when he left USC. He always looks for speed and physically gifted guys that fly under the talent radar, then he gets them on board and gives them a chance, rewarding them for work. Sometimes it is what the staff does with those acquisitions and not just the player.

There is one more factor to consider. While I believe firmly that CK will improve, there is little value in adding weapons if the QB isn't using them or not capable of. It just seems to be the one component that is connected to everything. I know that CK is called "one read" and all that, but I see him as a guy that gets a rapport with a WR and milks that guy out. Take that one guy, maybe two out of the play and CK is not the same guy at all and the Niners offense becomes much less dynamic.

Pete and Bevell have done a fantastic job at the WR position. the 49ers front office haven't done such a great job at the WR position. I think that's the main difference there. AJ Jenkins went bust and I don't think the 49ers have recovered from that. They did choose a Wr and a TE in the draft, but it's not like they have wowed the crowd, they are just doing ok. I wish the 49er organization had the talent/luck in bringing in UDFA wr's who do as well as drafted WRs as Seattle. If there was a missing element to the 49er front office fielding a Super Bowl quality team, it's their lack of ability to pick productive WR's in the draft or via Free Agency.

Galen96

Reaction score
Giedi":1w699lx0 said:
Pete and Bevell have done a fantastic job at the WR position. the 49ers front office haven't done such a great job at the WR position. I think that's the main difference there. AJ Jenkins went bust and I don't think the 49ers have recovered from that. They did choose a Wr and a TE in the draft, but it's not like they have wowed the crowd, they are just doing ok. I wish the 49er organization had the talent/luck in bringing in UDFA wr's who do as well as drafted WRs as Seattle. If there was a missing element to the 49er front office fielding a Super Bowl quality team, it's their lack of ability to pick productive WR's in the draft or via Free Agency.

So explain Ricardo Lockette?

KK84

Reaction score
Galen96":u3o3dt4g said:
Giedi":u3o3dt4g said:

He wasn't Kaep's first read. He never had a chance in SF.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
SC drafts suuuuuuck under Douchebaugh.

Seriously, scroll to the bottom of the page and check out 2011-Present drafted players. Even when they can stock pile massive amounts of draft picks to improve the team, it turns out the best thing they're good at is shitting the bed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_49ers_draft_history#2013_NFL_Draft

Around 48% of the players drafted by Douchebaugh are on the current roster or are getting roles defined for them (ie- guys like Lattimore and Carradine that have been injured all season). After doing some quick research to gather some of these numbers, it's clear, SF is not a very deep team talent wise. Which was the issue on defense, and became even more clear with their Wide Receivers.

Compared to...
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/draft.htm
Roughly 66% of the players drafted by Seattle since Pete took over are on the currently on the roster and/or have a role being defined for them as the season progresses (for example, guys like Coleman, Bowie, or Luke Wilson). Pete is not afraid to take chances, rookies included.

Just another reason this team will be irrelevant again in a season or two, unless they can figure out how to scout players. Their "NFCW dominance" is already being tested by AZ and STL. Meanwhile, Seattle (with PC&JS) are showing how to properly scout, draft, and work players into the program as soon as possible (as long as they can demonstrate their value).

rideaducati

Reaction score
KK84":12uvz7vh said:
Galen96":12uvz7vh said:
Giedi":12uvz7vh said:

He wasn't Kaep's first read. He never had a chance in SF.

Funny how niner fans don't even respond to this fact anymore.