Spiking the football

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":2p0bwt3n said:
mrt144":2p0bwt3n said:
Seymour":2p0bwt3n said:
GeekHawk":2p0bwt3n said:
Good thought, if we would have had a timeout left. Which we didn't.

Guess I wasn't paying that close of attention and assumed he kneeled down then called a time out. It is definitely listed as a spike in game log.

How many IPAs deep were ya Seymour? We won't judge here ;)

Actually none...for 32 years at least. 8)

I was more concerned about SeaBass on the next play then how we downed the ball.

Then I'm just gonna chalk this up to 'old-man-doze-itis' ;)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":245omc94 said:
2) 4 secs left, no timeouts left, clock is moving. IF there is illegal motion, false start (I mean a flinch can be a false start) anything not done right there is a 10 second runoff.

I get running the clock to 4 secs when you have a timeout left. Then if there is a penalty you use your timeout instead of the 10 sec runoff. So what are your thoughts on doing this at 4 secs over at 11 secs.
It's a spike play. No one moves for any reason except for the center hiking the ball to the QB, and the QB spiking the ball. No one has to block anyone, no one needs to go in motion. Barring terrorist attack, or epilepsy, there's no reason for anyone to move.

sutz

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3sga5f04 said:
sutz":3sga5f04 said:
Sequence went:

1. Lockett reception at the 10. About a minute left and no time outs.

2. 1st down, kneel down, clock runs down.

3. 2d down kneel, clock still runs.

3. 3d down, spike the ball to stop the clock at 4 sec.

4. 4th down FG. Win.

Back in the good old days, sometimes they would attempt the FG on 3d down so if there was a fumbled snap or something they could go again. Nobody does that anymore. Besides, time was tight and with no TOs.

You skipped a couple of Carolina time outs
You're right, of course. I kind of oversimplified, but the logic of the progression is still vallid. It was the right strategy.

Latest posts