Starting O-Line.......

had2bhawk

Reaction score
kearly":dxilpcsy said:
For as long as Okung is in there, this OL will be relatively decent in protection. Our power run situational blocking might be tough to watch this year, though.

This, Okung is really a question. Seems to have nagging injuries constantly. I hope I'm wrong but he will miss 8 games at least this year. He has given Seattle his best but it's time we realize LT is too much for him. Bailey can't do the job right now and is going to be the loose Band-Aid when Okung's toe, ankle, calf, shoulder or chest give out on him again. I really worry about that left side, blind side for Wilson, and really think that all harm is going to come from there. If Okung is healthy for a good part of the season maybe, Seattle can find or build a replacement.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":3j6cl296 said:
"Nowak is the wildcard. He’s never played on the offensive line during a real NFL game."

Wow, didn't know this. He must've really proven himself to be the best option. I can only hope.
Hasn't seen all the stunts. Never made line calls. Preseason is vanilla.

I don't get a good feeling about this. LJP had been there, done that.

Takes two antacid and chants "In Pete I Trust, In Pete I Trust."

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I want to add that there has been a lot of angst and complaining about the Seahawks MO especially towards Cable but I support it.

For every Soloki hype, a player like Nowak is allowed to rise up and sieze opportuntity even over two holdover linemen in competition , LJP and Lewis.

For every polished Moffitt, a raw Sweezy is allowed to out compete him.

For every Carpenter and Britt, moved inside to amplify the player's strengths and to mask short-comings, a Giacomini or Gilliam rises out of the ranks.

I could go on and on over different positions as well.

The starting O-Line has potential to be a qauality unit and I hope to hell injury luck and general wellness will allow the unit to stabilize and galvanize over the long-term and into the Play-Offs because the depth does look a little weak.

But I have to agree with Cable, the starting group looks like it has the raw potential and nasty athleticism to be his best group yet.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1p62b7h8 said:
I want to add that there has been a lot of angst and complaining about the Seahawks MO especially towards Cable but I support it.

For every Soloki hype, a player like Nowak is allowed to rise up and sieze opportuntity even over two holdover linemen in competition , LJP and Lewis.

For every polished Moffitt, a raw Sweezy is allowed to out compete him.

For every Carpenter and Britt, moved inside to amplify the player's strengths and to mask short-comings, a Giacomini or Gilliam rises out of the ranks.

I could go on and on over different positions as well.

The starting O-Line has potential to be a qauality unit and I hope to hell injury luck and general wellness will allow the unit to stabilize and galvanize over the long-term and into the Play-Offs because the depth does look a little weak.

But I have to agree with Cable, the starting group looks like it has the raw potential and nasty athleticism to be his best group yet.

I just wish that they got a chance to work together for more then one season before we do the Cable Shuffle again.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm hoping to see them play well tonight with all of Oakland's #1's on the field. Next week they face the Rams front 7 on the road and it counts.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
We know how badly these members of the OL group can whiff at times.

What I am looking for: Less False Starts from Okung.
Crisp snaps from Nowak. Getting off the double and getting onto a LB. I don't think they are going to ask muchmore. Russ better keep his hot read in sight, I expect teams to try nd rattle the new center with middle blitzes.
Gilliam has talent. What is his Kryptonite? Is it speed, is it power? Is it guys who get low?
I get a feeling that LG is going to be OK. Britt is a smart guy, I think he can get the hang of pass pro in that spot. Vs the Chargers I saw him pull right and he can move in space, he was doing things Carpenter could physically never do. And while young, there is depth.

I expect 6 games or so of hiccups, then if the group has remained healthy, it should become clear what we have. Aaron Donald is a big test for Nowak, and we need Nowak to not only be good, but to stay healthy. Our depth at center remains a area of concern.

And now that Russ is getting paid in gold bars, the bitching about the collective line is going to be damn near unbearable.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Largent80":w4fv2lhg said:
I'm hoping to see them play well tonight with all of Oakland's #1's on the field. Next week they face the Rams front 7 on the road and it counts.
They do? It does?

Ruminator

Reaction score
If we somehow manage to keep the number of fourth downs to 6 or fewer in each of the first two games, that would be a very pleasant surprise. I fear there will be 8+. But we can't have our offense barely playing in a game, so we may be depending on our defense to get the opposing team's offense off the field quickly so our own offense can get the reps it needs. I'm sure they're up to the task, so we could be seeing a large change-of-possession number.

sutz

Reaction score
I know one big determinant for OL quality is time spent playing and practicing together. More than any other unit on the team, they need the cohesiveness that only comes with continuity, practicing and playing together day after day, week after week. They need to learn each other's habits, strengths, and weaknesses, and how to best cover for each other. One thing that seldom gets mentioned about the Seahawks benchmark for O-line quality-the 2005 unit-is that they had been together, more or less continuously, for several years. Sure, there was a ton of talent, but they knew each other and how to cover for each other when things went squirrely, which they always do. Would love to see something like that grow and develop here.

I'm just glad they have settled on a core group that hopefully will get the chance to develop the kind of unity that a good O-line needs. Often, that is all that is needed for the group to overcome any individual weaknesses that might exist and succeed with teamwork.

Sometimes (maybe always) it's an all or nothing choice. You pick the guys you think will succeed and keep them out there through some tough times until they succeed. Can be painful for us fans to watch at times, but that's kind of the way it is. Continuously rotating guys in and out doesn't help much.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Our line looked decent enough in the last game. That is enough for me honestly. As long as the line remakns adequate the others will have an opportunity to shine.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I didn't think those 5 together were as horrible as people made them out to be. Actually I thought they played pretty well together. The OL takes time for them to gel and I think it will be more than fine this season. In fact, I think they will surprise with their level of play

RussB

Reaction score
Why is everyone so worried about the O-line, what the team lacks in the o line makes up for in the defense . They have marshawn lynch and jimmy graham who are playmakers along with wilson. And a defense that can get takeaways consistently and set the offense up with good field position. Also tyler lockett and the special teams have improved. The team is fine ......chill out.

The cowboys for example have a great o line but lack in every other area

Fade

Reaction score
01) My major concern was Britt at RT, since he has been moved I'm cool now.

02) Inconsistent play at LG & C (Unger always injured) has been par for the course. Maybe Britt can be an upgrade at LG and Drew Nowak can play all 16 at C.

03) Seattle was 8-2 without Max Unger last season.

04) Projecting forward the Hawks could be even younger and inexperienced next year. If Okung & Sweezy aren't re-signed, and I would be okay with it too. Okung is injury prone, and I don't believe in paying OGs unless they are ALL-PRO.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
2Cool4School":1tap4q8f said:
Why is everyone so worried about the O-line, what the team lacks in the o line makes up for in the defense . They have marshawn lynch and jimmy graham who are playmakers along with wilson. And a defense that can get takeaways consistently and set the offense up with good field position. Also tyler lockett and the special teams have improved. The team is fine ......chill out.

The cowboys for example have a great o line but lack in every other area

Hear, hear.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Cable's ZBS, by his own admission, takes a few games to get rid of the kinks. And this assumes you have the same starting five guys playing. This has pretty much never happened in the PC/JS era. It doesn't matter who is playing or long a player has been in the scheme. The O-line needs consistency to gel.

If we can finally have the same O-Line start each game consistently than i am not worried at all.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
OL looking better tonight...it's the Raiders backups but the blocking seems to be much improved.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":l33eq6eu said:
olyfan63":l33eq6eu said:
MontanaHawk05":l33eq6eu said:
Seattle has allowed only two sacks in two games with that starting line. Makes sense.

The low sacks-allowed numbers were because the offense was on the field so little. On the many, many 3 and outs, though, give the boy credit, Archer usually did a nice job of getting rid of the ball prior to a sack.

I know, I know, you just didn't feel like putting one of these, :sarcasm_on: in your post for something so obvious.

No need to be abrasive. I doubt that Archer, of all people, was responsible for avoiding sacks well or that one sack per game doesn't mark an improved OL even if the offense does see less time. It's much more likely that the rearranged OL simply managed to match talent to position better.

Darn, I thought I was just being descriptive, not abrasive. You must have this confused with my posts in other threads... It was hard to watch the Offense struggle the first couple-three preseason games, which started with the O-Line. My comment was more about Archer than the O-Line. O-Lines do take some time to jell, and Carroll/Cable have been throwing players against the wall to see who sticks.

Pandion has pretty well nailed it in his two posts in this thread.

Pandion makes a great case how the 2015 O-Line > 2014 O-Line at 4 positions.
Then he makes the further case that 2105 Center > 2014 Center, when the position, i.e., # starts by different players, is taken as a whole. So, I'm pretty much with him, and he's got me sold...

'Hawks 2015 O-Line > 2014 O-Line, at ALL 5 POSITIONS, INCLUDING CENTER.

Longer-term, Sokoli looks like he could be a terriffic player too. Too early to tell right now.
Through the magic of Carroll, Cable and Schneider, 2015 Seahawks will be effectively getting an improved O-Line and then Jimmy Graham for free.

McGruff

Reaction score
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/09/0 ... cable-micd

A video worth watching. Lots of praise for Gilliams. Lots of harping on Bailey. Lots of really cool insight into Cable's new coaching style.

And it was interesting to see him and Seto working closely together quite often . . . the two primary rivals for future head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":17ilyd28 said:
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/09/05/seahawks-saturday-night-tom-cable-micd

A video worth watching. Lots of praise for Gilliams. Lots of harping on Bailey. Lots of really cool insight into Cable's new coaching style.

And it was interesting to see him and Seto working closely together quite often . . . the two primary rivals for future head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

This deserves its own thread.