Stop hating on Wilson

CANHawk

Reaction score
I'm not understanding. We're Run first team that plays great defense. Our marquee back got 140 and 2 td's and our D held one of the most prolific offenses of this generation to 15 points, all of which came on some fluky bullshit in the fourth quarter.

What exactly is everyone's malfunction? That is exactly who and what we are.

purpleworld

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":13hjch7d said:
purpleworld":13hjch7d said:
In the 2 years that RW has been our QB, can anybody show one game that he WAS the reason we lost it? In watching the Colts/Patriots tonight, i can easily say that Luck lost this game for the Colts....how about RW??? Anyone???
Not explicitly no. I can however think of a few that he pretty much single handedly won, and some others where he balled out and the team lost.

Very true!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think the reason Wilson is getting criticized is that he has looked distinctly worse this month than he did the rest of the year while up against other very good pass defenses. He also looked better in last year's playoffs, on the road. There was the weather and the game plan, yes, but that has nothing to do with his accuracy on short passes. It also has nothing to do with him bailing out of the pocket too quickly.

I think the receivers have been dropping a lot of passes the last few games as well, and Pete has repeatedly said that the game-planning has gone into the bunker ever since the last Saints game. But Wilson has definitely shown signs of a sophomore slump. Let's see how he recovers from it.

The Outfield

Reaction score
CANHawk":1qir3pld said:
I'm not understanding. We're Run first team that plays great defense. Our marquee back got 140 and 2 td's and our D held one of the most prolific offenses of this generation to 15 points, all of which came on some fluky bullshit in the fourth quarter.

What exactly is everyone's malfunction? That is exactly who and what we are.

[youtube]tD4q3leE5Uw[/youtube]

hoxrox

Reaction score
To me, he's looked tentative ever since he fumbled the ball in SF. He's been jittery in the pocket. Hasn't been decisive on runs where there's been green grass. Maybe the hits have been catching up him? I haven't seen the poise or pocket presence that we've grown accustomed to.

With that being said, I have a feeling he's going to come through for us next week.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Something that I have been thinking about lately in regards to the play of RW, could the lack of must win games over the last month have an effect on him and the play calling? As an example, early in the year he had a couple of games with some fumbling problems. He said he would get that fixed and he did. He obviously spent time working on this to correct it.

So then, during the latter part of the season with HFA practically wrapped up did RW and the coaching staff then go into tinkering mode? Did they look at it as an opportunity to work on specific parts of the offense much like preseason? If they did this before HFA was wrapped up, it could be considered dangerous thinking and reckless or it could show the confidence they have in each other and their ability as a team. An attempt to improve the overall effectiveness of the offense or just continue to grind out the things that you do?

What throws this theory into question was the play yesterday unless you factor in the weather, the game plan to showcase Harvin, and the conservative nature of the play calls.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
maybe he is over reacting to the "protect the ball" mantra? He seems to be hesitating instead of just playing. I also don't believe our recent game plans have done much to help him regain confidence. I hope Percy can go next week and if so I hope he and Russ will be able to pitch and catch some this week so as to help Russell develop chemistry. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for Russell to adjust how he leads a player who is that much faster than his other receivers in just the split second he has and with so little practice.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2frepeta said:
I think the reason Wilson is getting criticized is that he has looked distinctly worse this month than he did the rest of the year while up against other very good pass defenses. He also looked better in last year's playoffs, on the road. There was the weather and the game plan, yes, but that has nothing to do with his accuracy on short passes. It also has nothing to do with him bailing out of the pocket too quickly.

I think the receivers have been dropping a lot of passes the last few games as well, and Pete has repeatedly said that the game-planning has gone into the bunker ever since the last Saints game. But Wilson has definitely shown signs of a sophomore slump. Let's see how he recovers from it.

Yes, this is probably why he is getting criticized. I believe the entire offense and Bevell gets equal blame.

Also, what was Pete's statement about the game planning has gone into the bunker?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sorry but if you give Wilson credit, I think you have to give him blame when he earns it too.

Wilson is everything I could ever want in a QB for all the stuff off the field. Hell, if he was starting a cult I would probably join it (maybe not, but maybe...). But he isn't supposed to be a cult leader, he is supposed to be a QB.

On the field his leadership, energy and confidence are stellar. His ability to perform in big games is stunning. Even the big pass in this last game was one he had to fight with and make, at a time when the game might have been getting away from us.

But as far as passing the ball, he hasn't been stellar. He has been average, or worse.

The truth is that Wilson has been closer to Dilfer than Brady lately. Dilfer won a SB, so I suppose there is a place for that but I know we are pinning all our hopes on winning it all based on how great we expect Wilson to be. But he just played a playoff game where he completed NINE passes in the WHOLE GAME.

We are now facing a team that is substantially better and soundly handled a team we struggled with. If Wilson cannot produce in that game, we cannot win. So yes, Wilson needs to step up or it won't matter.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The Outfield":3kmf6sku said:
Broke it up for you.

Look yea Russell hasn't been his usual self for some games now but didn't ya see Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively.

If ya don't believe him look at what the Patriots did today. It was raining similar to Seattle so they ran it alot and won that way. Brady didnt even have a TD pass ( like Russell ) and threw it only 6 more times than him (although he was more effective).

The Patriots did today what the Seahawks wanted to do. The plan was to run it down their throats (like the Patriots did to the Colts) and have Russell be effective and opportunistic (like Tom Brady was). Russell ran the plan correctly in the first half but the Saints were able to neutralize him in the second.

Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did.This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back sometime. He does have problems pulling the trigger sometimes but as we can see he is following a plan given to him.

Im not trying to say Russell didn't play bad cause he really did, im just saying it is really hard for a qb to get in rhythm when he only throws it 9 times each half. Also lets not forget that he made the play when we needed him to so lets take it easy on the guy. With that said the passing game must improve because our defense can not bail us out every time.

If Percy is out next game that will definitely be disappointing and will decrease our chances of advancing to the SuperBowl slightly. But enough with the negatives, were one game away from the SuperBowl baby! Lets be happy for the team and celebrate! That was a hard fought game and they deserved it!

I also heard from someone that the Hawks came out in the 3rd quarter and played conservatively (see all the run plays run at the start of the 3rd) because of the increased rain/wind and the fact that they didn't want to turn the ball over.

You are correct PC came right out and said it, RW was 7-11 at half time and then only threw 7 passes the whole send half, hard to stay in warm that way.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sc85sis":1njl28ln said:
Sorry, but I couldn't read that. Please use paragraphs.

As to your subject line, I'm not hating on Russell. I love what he brings to this team, both on and off the field. That does not mean, however, that I'm unwilling to comment when he's struggling a bit.

He has not been himself the last several games. It's not all on him, but some of it is. There are times when he has had running room and hasn't taken it because he's too focused on getting a big passing play. He has admitted he doesn't actually like to run. That's fine, but when that is the best option, take it and don't hesitate. His decision making could be a little faster in general. And at times his accuracy has been off. Last night it was mostly due to the wind.

Receivers also have to work harder to get open. The o line still needs some improvement. And play calling could also improve at times--and that's on Pete too, not just Bevell.

Looked at singularly, these are small things. The issue is that they're happening all at once. We've played tough defenses recently and haven't seemed to fully adjust yet.

We did get the running game going last night, another area with which we've struggled. So that's a good start.

One down, one to go.

again saying he has not been himself the last several games is wrong

yesterday not good
Game before 65% completion 102 qb rating Rams
Game before not good AZ
game before 67% completion 86 QB rating only because of one improbable int. NYG
game before 60% completion 82 QB rating again due to a hail mary int SF
game before 73% completion 140 QB rating NO

So again only 2 bad games, 2 good games, and 2 great games.

But I agree yesterday not good, but again I put very little of that on him. I pu tit mostly on play calling as PC has said they have been conservative in play calling since the first NO game, which coincidentally is when we clinched the playoffs.

Anthony!

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":byy461ta said:
Something that I have been thinking about lately in regards to the play of RW, could the lack of must win games over the last month have an effect on him and the play calling? As an example, early in the year he had a couple of games with some fumbling problems. He said he would get that fixed and he did. He obviously spent time working on this to correct it.

So then, during the latter part of the season with HFA practically wrapped up did RW and the coaching staff then go into tinkering mode? Did they look at it as an opportunity to work on specific parts of the offense much like preseason? If they did this before HFA was wrapped up, it could be considered dangerous thinking and reckless or it could show the confidence they have in each other and their ability as a team. An attempt to improve the overall effectiveness of the offense or just continue to grind out the things that you do?

What throws this theory into question was the play yesterday unless you factor in the weather, the game plan to showcase Harvin, and the conservative nature of the play calls.

Good thoughts, they said after the game a lot of the offense was built around Harvin for this game, maybe him going out threw everything into a funk.

Anthony!

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3hxkm1l1 said:
Sorry but if you give Wilson credit, I think you have to give him blame when he earns it too.

Wilson is everything I could ever want in a QB for all the stuff off the field. Hell, if he was starting a cult I would probably join it (maybe not, but maybe...). But he isn't supposed to be a cult leader, he is supposed to be a QB.

On the field his leadership, energy and confidence are stellar. His ability to perform in big games is stunning. Even the big pass in this last game was one he had to fight with and make, at a time when the game might have been getting away from us.

But as far as passing the ball, he hasn't been stellar. He has been average, or worse.

The truth is that Wilson has been closer to Dilfer than Brady lately. Dilfer won a SB, so I suppose there is a place for that but I know we are pinning all our hopes on winning it all based on how great we expect Wilson to be. But he just played a playoff game where he completed NINE passes in the WHOLE GAME.

We are now facing a team that is substantially better and soundly handled a team we struggled with. If Wilson cannot produce in that game, we cannot win. So yes, Wilson needs to step up or it won't matter.

again in correct as he has not been avg of late, so see below

yesterday not good
Game before 65% completion 102 qb rating Rams
Game before not good AZ
game before 67% completion 86 QB rating only because of one improbable int. NYG
game before 60% completion 82 QB rating again due to a hail mary int SF
game before 73% completion 140 QB rating NO

So as you can see he has had 2 bad games, 2 good games, and 2 great games, and this despite the play calling.

Domseahawks

Reaction score
When Russell has been called on to win the game for us he has got it done. Not worried.