Stream Hawk

Streamhawk

Reaction score
Hi all,
I finally joined this site again! Anyways I live in Bellingham, born & raised in Seattle. II got myself a career in the natural sciences working for a tribe. Lifelong Seahawk fan. Literally, Hawks and I share the same birth year ;) Love the legit hope for Macdonald (what a hire) era.
Go Hawks!

Attachments

• IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3

Lagartixa

Reaction score
You say you finally joined "again," so I guess it's "welcome back," even though I'm relatively new here (arrived in November of 2020) and probably wasn't here when you were here previously. So welcome back!

You attached this pic twice to your post:
That is really cool. How did it happen?

You said
I got myself a career in the natural sciences working for a tribe.

I'm curious, because if I had to define myself in one word, the word would be "scientist." I'm obviously much more than just that, but it's the best single word to describe me. And I'm not just talking about education or a job or something. It's how I interact with the world since I was a little kid. So I'd like to know more about what you do.

OP
OP
S

Streamhawk

Reaction score
You say you finally joined "again," so I guess it's "welcome back," even though I'm relatively new here (arrived in November of 2020) and probably wasn't here when you were here previously. So welcome back!

You attached this pic twice to your post:
View attachment 64688
That is really cool. How did it happen?

You said

I'm curious, because if I had to define myself in one word, the word would be "scientist." I'm obviously much more than just that, but it's the best single word to describe me. And I'm not just talking about education or a job or something. It's how I interact with the world since I was a little kid. So I'd like to know more about what you do.
Haha, computer glitches yesterday so apparently I posted the pic twice:) That was at a game in ~2015 when my wife and I were walking around looking for her vegan diet options. I believe we were playing the Panthers (my first witnessed L) and no one was outside. The trainer walked by with Taima, and we were blown away. She let us hang out with her and of course, I took a selfie!

I am officially a geomorphologist and work in river restoration.

RiverDog

Reaction score
That's me, Riv! I saw Hawkshack was down so I came back to this site. It seems much more active.
Yeah, it was down yesterday morning and still is today, and you're right, this forum has 4-5 times as many participants as the Shack, but it's down considerably from a few years ago. It used to be that I didn't like .net because it was too heavily trafficked, lots of incidents where two or three people would get into a pissing contest that distracted from the topic and my post would get buried. I got the impression that I was talking to myself, that no one was reading them.

The pissing contests between posters still happens more than it should and I wish the mods would crack down on it, but in addition to the reduced volume, this site added a reaction feature so I don't get the feeling that no one reads my comments like I used to. IMO it's a lot better now than it was 5 years ago. I still like the smallness of the Hawkshack and hope they get it back up and running, but this place, although it has its warts, is a good alternative.

Glad to see you're here. You're a good football mind whom I've always respected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Streamhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, it was down yesterday morning and still is today, and you're right, this forum has 4-5 times as many participants as the Shack, but it's down considerably from a few years ago. It used to be that I didn't like .net because it was too heavily trafficked, lots of incidents where two or three people would get into a pissing contest that distracted from the topic and my post would get buried. I got the impression that I was talking to myself, that no one was reading them.

The pissing contests between posters still happens more than it should and I wish the mods would crack down on it, but in addition to the reduced volume, this site added a reaction feature so I don't get the feeling that no one reads my comments like I used to. IMO it's a lot better now than it was 5 years ago. I still like the smallness of the Hawkshack and hope they get it back up and running, but this place, although it has its warts, is a good alternative.

Glad to see you're here. You're a good football mind whom I've always respected.
I did an emoji - that’s a plus for this site. Thanks for the kind words. I’ve always respected your football opinions, too. I believe I “e-met” you and others at the old PI forum. The shack is having a little too many pissing matches the last year or two, even causing what’s his name to bail. I’ll give .net a whirl as I need my Hawk fix and love chatting about them.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Welcome back. Always happy to have enthusiastic fans return.

We are still working on the pissing matches, but finding the right balance takes time. I think we have made great progress to returning the tone here to what it should be over the last year. Please do stick around and help us get the rest of the way there with positive participation.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Welcome back. Always happy to have enthusiastic fans return.

We are still working on the pissing matches, but finding the right balance takes time. I think we have made great progress to returning the tone here to what it should be over the last year. Please do stick around and help us get the rest of the way there with positive participation.
Like I told my friend Stream Hawk, this place is quite a bit better than it was 5 or so years ago, which is one of the reasons why you see me participating more than I have in the past.

The problem with the pissing contests is that it tends to bury relevant comments. People have the tendency to page to the bottom of a thread as it's not always possible to read all of the posts, and if it's diluted by a bunch of back-and-forth your step sister is uglier than mine type stuff between two or three posters, the relevant comments tend to get lost. That's one of the reasons why my past participation was limited, because I got the sense that no one was reading my musings and that I was talking to myself.

It is better than it used to be, but I do wish you folks would crack down on it more. From time to time, I actually see mods participating in this childish behavior. Nothing personal, just my humble opinion.