Super Bowl kickoff time

chevelle03

Reaction score
With the NFL becoming more and more popular in the UK, and the fact that games are now played here and there is even talk of an NFL franchise in London, I am surprised to see that the Super Bowl is still kicking off at 11:40pm GMT. The NFL seems to be trying very hard to build a fanbase over here, and yet the biggest game of the year is unwatched by many for the sole reason that it is on too late.

So I was just wondering, if the kickoff time was moved back to 1pm PT would this put any damper on the Super Bowl experience for US fans?

lsheldon

Reaction score
It wouldn't matter to me what time it was on here locally. DVR it and watch the next day.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The TV networks would never go for it. February is a "sweeps" month, meaning "Prime Time" advertising rates are set by how the networks perform in the TV ratings during this month. It's why we always see big events, special episodes, etc. during February, May, and so forth. The game will cross into Prime Time hours on the east coast and also act as a big lead-in to the show that immediately follows.

It's all about the money for the networks too.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I suppose it won't be moving anytime soon, due to network deals. But say that London did get a Franchise I think it would have to move then. I was just thinking it might be logical to move it first, in an attempt to further the sport's already surging popularity. The Premiere league comment, while understandable, is not really the same situation as there isn't really much of a fan base in the US from what I know, and there hasn't been a push to market the sport like the Nfl is here.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
lsheldon":3j3t47m9 said:
It wouldn't matter to me what time it was on here locally. DVR it and watch the next day.

With the Hawks in the game, I'll be staying up!

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
Maulbert":2wn0gpqb said:
Would the Premiere League shift their championship to appease US fans? I don't think so.

If the Premiere League would make a larger profit by doing so, I don't see why not.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chevelle03":x3pygyql said:
Maulbert":x3pygyql said:
Would the Premiere League shift their championship to appease US fans? I don't think so.

If the Premiere League would make a larger profit by doing so, I don't see why not.

But that's just it. The league would stand to lose more money in the US than they would gain in the UK by moving it up. I guarantee it. Especially considering a 9pm start in the UK still wouldn't end until after 12am over there, so the additional viewership would be negligible at best.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
Maulbert":32s3ky0w said:
chevelle03":32s3ky0w said:
Maulbert":32s3ky0w said:

But that's just it. The league would stand to lose more money in the US than they would gain in the UK by moving it up. I guarantee it. Especially considering a 9pm start in the UK still wouldn't end until after 12am over there, so the additional viewership would be negligible at best.

You're probably right, but could you elaborate a bit on why you gaurantee they would lose so much money in the US?

Also, what do you think about a franchise in London? Do you think that's a real possibility? If it is, then I think making the biggest game of the year watchable by most people in London would have to follow. A 9 pm start would allow people to watch it in pubs and have viewing parties at their houses. I think it would make a big difference.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chevelle03":2dkgsq1t said:
Maulbert":2dkgsq1t said:
chevelle03":2dkgsq1t said:
Maulbert":2dkgsq1t said:

You're probably right, but could you elaborate a bit on why you gaurantee they would lose so much money in the US?

Also, what do you think about a franchise in London? Do you think that's a real possibility? If it is, then I think making the biggest game of the year watchable by most people in London would have to follow. A 9 pm start would allow people to watch it in pubs and have viewing parties at their houses. I think it would make a big difference.

First, not nearly as many casual fans would watch the game the earlier it's placed. Part of it's appeal is as a primetime event. Primetime NFL games always get higher ratings, partially because TVs are almost always on at that time of day. Second, you'd also box out Hawaii and Alaska, where the game would start at 11am and 12pm, respectively.

I think a London franchise would be detrimental to the league. Travel time is already an issue with west coast teams historically struggling in 10am starts. A London franchise would only exacerbate this. Plus, the majority of players would be from the US. How would they feel about having to relocate their family to London, or worse, live anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 miles away from their family for half the year? Last year, Ryan Clark came out and stated he would retire before he'd play for a London franchise. It's not an uncommon opinion. Plus, I think it would be foolish of Goodell and the owners to put a team in London considering how many metropolitan areas remain in the US without NFL teams (LA, San Antonio, Portland all come to mind) that would love their own franchise.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
Good points, Maulbert, thanks.

I'm definitely not advocating a London franchise, in fact I am surprised about all the talk about it. I'm even surprised that the Wembley games are still going, and there's now three of them every year! I can't believe teams are willing to give up a home game for that.

I am, however, excited about the growing popularity of the NFL over here and I like the prospect of actually being able to watch the super bowl with other people. Not that it matters this year as either way I'd be skyping with my family back in Washington. Go Hawks!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Counterpoint: What about other countries? Your question presupposes only the UK deserves a change, and since they don't, the time should stay as it is.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":162qo8n5 said:
Counterpoint: What about other countries? Your question presupposes only the UK deserves a change, and since they don't, the time should stay as it is.

Well the NFL is making a big push to increase the sport's popularity in the UK as I explained in my original post, and that is exactly why I asked the question the way I did. However, the time change would allow other European countries to watch the game (and I know that Germany has a lot of fans: http://www.dw.de/nfl-set-for-most-popul ... a-17905146).

Outside of Europe, the support for the NFL is very thin from what I know, and changing the time to suit, say, China or Australia is just not feasible so why even ask the question.

rideaducati

Reaction score
sc85sis":1irpmxbx said:
The TV networks would never go for it. February is a "sweeps" month, meaning "Prime Time" advertising rates are set by how the networks perform in the TV ratings during this month. It's why we always see big events, special episodes, etc. during February, May, and so forth. The game will cross into Prime Time hours on the east coast and also act as a big lead-in to the show that immediately follows.

It's all about the money for the networks too.

I don't get why the sweeps happen in February and then most shows start back up in April.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
chevelle03":gry8yveb said:
Maulbert":gry8yveb said:
chevelle03":gry8yveb said:
Maulbert":gry8yveb said:

I don't like the idea of a Franchise in London due to the sheer travel distance that would be required of West Coast teams. I like the idea of Europeans getting in to our game, but I see it having an adverse effect on teams that have to cross the distance from the West Coast USA, to the UK.

themunn

Reaction score
Maulbert":2x0v9fhi said:

They'd do whatever makes the most money

original poster

Reaction score
As a fan from the UK I don't want a franchise in the UK, I just don't think it would work, if I was a neutral fan I'd be more inclined to be up for it and start supporting them properly, but putting a team in London will not stop me from supporting the Hawks.