Super Bowl LII: Eagles vs. Patriots Game Day Thread

mikeak

Reaction score
Files played great. Lots of tight throws into tight windows.

Now he gets traded to the Browns, plays one year on a low paying contract, looks like crap and never fully cashes in

The NFL is a bit about luck. Imagine if Foles only signed a one year deal with the Eagles? How much would he be getting paid now?

knownone

Reaction score
I know this is a down year quality wise for the NFL but damn, this was the sloppiest defensive performance I've seen in a Super Bowl in 20+ years and these were two top 5 defenses. Now I'm even more annoyed Seattle missed the playoffs, they could have beat Philly and they'd stand a chance against Brady and that defense.

adeltaY

Reaction score
knownone":gdodbbdl said:
I know this is a down year quality wise for the NFL but damn, this was the sloppiest defensive performance I've seen in a Super Bowl in 20+ years and these were two top 5 defenses. Now I'm even more annoyed Seattle missed the playoffs, they could have beat Philly and they'd stand a chance against Brady and that defense.

Philly kicker might have missed an XP, but he hit three clutch FGs... I don't think the Hawks would've got that kind of production from their guy. :pukeface:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
mrt144":3qlse6a4 said:
adeltaY":3qlse6a4 said:
bmorepunk":3qlse6a4 said:
In the last 13 seasons the Patriots have won two Super Bowls. Two. That's one more than the Seahawks during that period. And we know how close 49 was. And saw the most insane collapse ever last year.

Belechick and Brady are the best. But they play in a crap division nearly every year. I'm tired of hearing about the "Patriot Way" being how the Seahawks should do everything just like them. If it was so amazing, you'd think the Patriots would have managed to win more than two Super Bowls. It turns out it's even hard for the best, and not everything they do is something other teams should emulate.

Who else has as many wins in that period? The Giants and Steelers? How many AFC championships and SBs have the Pats been to in that time period? There's something to be said for putting your team in the position to win a ring. They've gotten way closer far more consistently than any other team in recent history. Making AFC championships and superbowls matters. It's a testament to being one of the final four or better damn near every year and that means something.

Extend your arbitrary time range by four years and they have, what, five rings in 17 years?

Encompass the near misses and the ruined perfect season...I mean cmon, the Patriots stumbled onto something that has far eclipsed anything else in a span of time, no matter how you dice it, is a smidge more impressive than anyone else. What can be learned from it?

They're better than everyone else. But once they got past that initial roster (defense) that got them three in four years (which was still tight, it was never easy like many make it out to be), they've only pulled it off twice over the last 13 seasons with the greatest coach and QB of all time. The same number of times as the Giants and the Steelers.

I'll gladly take that kind of situation, and we've actually had a decent approximation of it in Seattle. But when I see the cabal of our own fans talking about the Patriots like the things they do are sure-fire, it just comes out as ridiculous. The difference between the Seahawks and Patriots in terms of Super Bowl wins since the 2005 season is one play right at the goal line. And I hear a lot about how nothing the Seahawks do matters if they don't win a Super Bowl, which I don't agree with. I'll take any season where they have a shot.

We've had people whining about "one and done" a lot (even though they're just wrong since that hasn't happened since 2004; the Seahawks have won a playoff game every year they've been in it going back to 2005). New England has done better in the same period since the Seahawks pulled their heads out of their butts after a 20 year run of ass, but if Super Bowls are the only thing that matters, the Seahawks haven't done that much worse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Great game, and an even better gameplan from Peterson (from Ferndale btw).

Finally a coach with the balls to keep attacking and taking it to the Patriots, instead of getting conservative with a lead. That was awesome to see............and good for Foles, one of the greatest SB stories ever. Backup to dueling Tom Brady, and holding his own to be the SB MVP.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18gs01b6 said:
Great game, and an even better gameplan from Peterson (from Ferndale btw).

Finally a coach with the balls to keep attacking and taking it to the Patriots, instead of getting conservative with a lead. That was awesome to see............and good for Foles, one of the greatest SB stories ever. Backup to dueling Tom Brady, and holding his own to be the SB MVP.

Absolutely one to remember!

hawkman

Reaction score
mikeak":1kstr6am said:

Now he gets traded to the Browns, plays one year on a low paying contract, looks like crap and never fully cashes in

The NFL is a bit about luck. Imagine if Foles only signed a one year deal with the Eagles? How much would he be getting paid now?

Foles is going to get paid. There will be a big fat extension signed before he takes another snap.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
It was a gg. It was horrible defensively. I mean they missed assignments and missed tackles and dropped picks. If you love offense, you got it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
mrt144":248gg2p4 said:
chris98251":248gg2p4 said:
mrt144":248gg2p4 said:
Impressive to see a coach use a player's strengths from a previous tenure and get enough out of him to win. Tip of the hat to Pederson.

This is what adapting to your players strengths can do versus trying to force something to work against them. The faith he had in Foles to make plays and be on the receiving end of the trick play was something Bevell would never have done in a key moment.

Well thats the thing, Bevell did indeed call of few of those but not when the entire weight of the game hung on it at that point. Totally agree on working against players strengths and abilities...shameful.

Well, except for the Green Bay NFCCG...

mikeak

Reaction score
hawkman":ww9fntfa said:
mikeak":ww9fntfa said:

Foles is going to get paid. There will be a big fat extension signed before he takes another snap.

No incentive. Trade for him now - you could franchise him for two seasons and over the next three still pay the same or less than if you gave him a big deal now.

That gives you 1-2 years to really figure out what you got and then cut your losses / sign a big deal with him. That is way better than signing a FA that may flame out.

I would trade a low 1st rounder / 2nd knowing I can franchise him twice but I get a really cheap year to figure out what he truly is worth.

253hawk

Reaction score
knownone":17fa608v said:

It was like watching two defenses playing prevent for 60 minutes (especially Philly's). It was enjoyable in its own way, but a lot less intense than SB 50 when the defenses were slugging it out and you were on the edge of your seat to see which offense would get a big play to crack the game open. Last night's was like basketball where it was just going to come down to who had the ball last.

chris98251

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":98tuvybq said:
chris98251":98tuvybq said:
mrt144":98tuvybq said:
Impressive to see a coach use a player's strengths from a previous tenure and get enough out of him to win. Tip of the hat to Pederson.

This is what adapting to your players strengths can do versus trying to force something to work against them. The faith he had in Foles to make plays and be on the receiving end of the trick play was something Bevell would never have done in a key moment.

I think I would of had a heartattack and died had Bevell tried to....on 4th and 1.....go with a backup TE throwing the ball to the QB and if ANYONE follows said QB that play is most likely a bust. People like the result of the play but IMO it was a stupid playcall honestly worse than our goalline play but the result was good so people wont criticize it

Back up TE that was a QB at Texas A&M, Foles who is a great Athlete, thrown to a place nobody but Foles would catch it at, risk was no score on the drive and Patriots get the ball almost in their own end zone, score and it creates some extra thinking by Patricia and Belichek. It was also a play that they didn't have practices to prepare for and that one of their DB's didn't know was coming. It was a play that had Foles not been open all the TE had to do was try to run it in, look for someone else or throw it away.

Low risk high reward versus risky and High risk and cost you everything.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I think they should keep Foles. Will Wentz be fully healthy to start the season? Seems doubtful