TAKE THE POINTS

mikeak

Reaction score
sutz":3gyk46on said:
Happens all the time. When it works it's brilliant, when it doesn't work it sucks. :laugh:

I agree that this is how people look at it and it is stupid.

When my team plays basketball and they randomly throws up a 3 I frequently say stupid, see it go in and remain convinced it was stupid. It applies to everyone except Steph Curry who can't take a dumb shot but that is another discussion

My point being is that you should judge these calls prior to them happening. I was all for it before they ran the play (like I was for Oakland going for 2) - I will just clarify in the future that I am for it based on the playcall. You have to be able to pick up inches on two running plays if the first one doesn't get it just go again. I will always be for this and heck actually want them to do it more even on their own side of the field (I know will never happen)

Point being you should have a philosophy that dictates what you do and then you just live with the outcome. What makes it hard for many of us is that we are for the going for it but HATE the playcall. Just like we hated passing for it on obvious running down with an empty backfield. It is hard for others to grasp (apparently and not pointing the finger at you) but it wasn't necessarily the pass that we so detest. It is the formation combined with the pass.

Line up for the qb sneak, line up for the power run and run something surprising out of it - I am TOTALLY fine with it. Even the same pass play (but you really hope for a pass play beyond the LOS). It is just stupid to line up for something that doesn't look like run and then pass from it when everyone expects you to run

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":24t728z4 said:
sutz":24t728z4 said:
Happens all the time. When it works it's brilliant, when it doesn't work it sucks. :laugh:

I agree that this is how people look at it and it is stupid.

When my team plays basketball and they randomly throws up a 3 I frequently say stupid, see it go in and remain convinced it was stupid. It applies to everyone except Steph Curry who can't take a dumb shot but that is another discussion

My point being is that you should judge these calls prior to them happening. I was all for it before they ran the play (like I was for Oakland going for 2) - I will just clarify in the future that I am for it based on the playcall. You have to be able to pick up inches on two running plays if the first one doesn't get it just go again. I will always be for this and heck actually want them to do it more even on their own side of the field (I know will never happen)

Point being you should have a philosophy that dictates what you do and then you just live with the outcome. What makes it hard for many of us is that we are for the going for it but HATE the playcall. Just like we hated passing for it on obvious running down with an empty backfield. It is hard for others to grasp (apparently and not pointing the finger at you) but it wasn't necessarily the pass that we so detest. It is the formation combined with the pass.

Line up for the qb sneak, line up for the power run and run something surprising out of it - I am TOTALLY fine with it. Even the same pass play (but you really hope for a pass play beyond the LOS). It is just stupid to line up for something that doesn't look like run and then pass from it when everyone expects you to run

Problem with forums like these, is there are so many armchair qbs out there that people say they were against it before it happens, but we have no way of knowing they really were so it usually just comes off as whining after the fact.

I usually like to go for it in similar situations, but yesterday, for some reason, I felt differently. Maybe it was the way the game had been going, maybe it was too much pulled pork at halftime, I don't know, but yesterday I wanted to take the points. I still don't blame him for going for it, only that it wasn't the call I felt was proper at the time. Of course if we went play by play, there are lots of plays I'd have called differently....probably why I'm not a football coach.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Not that it matters, but I don't have much confidence in our kicking game at this point.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
If we would have taken the 3pts, when the dolphins scored the TD later we would have only needed a field goal to win the game with a hobbled Wilson instead of the touchdown.

I was cringing when we went for 4th down (especially with that horrible play call). I remember Carroll his first couple years always going for it down on the goal line and then not getting it and post game noting that he learned his lesson and in the NFL you take the points. I don't know why in a close game when we were struggling on offense and our defense was stout why he didn't listen to himself from 4 years ago.

We're lucky it didn't end up losing us the game.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ we still had to score at the end of the game. I get 3 is easier than 7 - totally get it.

I do think if we are up by 4 they take the points, up by 3 they know that Miami can win with a TD so they go for it