Texans WR Andre Johnson released

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sekiuHAWK":33aa925q said:
The thing that excites me about AJ is his ability to block on the outside. Our running game and passing game would both improve if we landed Johnson in my opinion.
This is something that shouldn't be overlooked combined with his size. Like others have said I would wait for him to be released if possible and go after him and see if he would go for 2 years/12-14M.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Johnson is everything you want in a football player. Big, physical, tough, plays the game the right way. I think he's got a perfect personality and fit right in here. He would bring so much to the table and he makes too much sense. I really hope we see him in Seahawks blue.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Why do I have a feeling Johnson is going to be a Seahawk in a couple of weeks?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Andre Johnson is an awesome character guy. I remember watching an E-60 on him, very humble guy with a good heart. I think he'd fit perfect on the Hawks. For as good as he was, arguably the best WR for a 3-4 year stretch, he was never a "premedona" WR. I always have thought of him and Calvin as the ultimate professionals at the WR position. Must be something with the last name Johnson :lol:

I think he ends up one one of two teams. Either us or the Patriots.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1op3cs9s said:
titan3131":1op3cs9s said:
IF BALDWINS COOL WITH IT LETS GET HIM

I'm glad we're making our personnel decisions based on Doug Baldwin's feelings now.

Baldwin would probably be angry...........................

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Would you rather trade a mid round draft pick and restructure his contact to around 7 mil a year

Or

Get into a bidding war on the open market and pay 9 mil a year?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Would be a huge addition.

He's upset he'd be a backup/rotational guy. Here in Seattle, he's a day one starter.

Trading for him (or waiting till cut) would not alter possible comp pick calculation for losing Maxwell

If you can get his cap figure around 4m, then it affords some significant flexibility for Seattle in the draft. For starters, you probably aren't in the Jaelen Strong market in R1. Seattle can still be in the market for late day 2 options, even early day 3. It also likely means moving on from Kearse, using the 2.7m it'll take to tender him for a 2nd round pick as part of AJ's contract allocation.

Seattle could then focus early draft on other positions. Whether it's an OT to possibly succeed Okung in 2016. Or a RB to succeed Lynch. Or a highly athletic defensive talent who drops (Bud Dupree?). Possibly opening up the selection for Maxx Williams at TE. Or just trading back for more picks which we love to do.

Would also open up the possibility of a player like Tyler Lockett who would instantly upgrade the Walters roster spot. Giving a player who can be effective on returns, and also a quality slot receiver prospect. Or a third round selection of Chris Conley if he should drop that far. Really it allows Seattle to cull the 2nd tier WR market in the draft which is pretty extensive this year.

Adding AJ really opens up the draft for Seattle. We have the starter position open for him. On a SB contending team. The money would have to be right. But it's really a quality option for a role we really want to fill.

bigcc

Reaction score
if cole beasley is getting 4/13.6 with 7 guaranteed, a receiver of Andre's caliber is going to command wayy too much.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bigcc":3tplmllh said:
if cole beasley is getting 4/13.6 with 7 guaranteed, a receiver of Andre's caliber is going to command wayy too much.
Why would you use a Cole Beasley comp? The contract the Hawks would offer/redo has nothing to do with what Beasley got from the Cowboys...did you think Johnson would accept 4 mil a year? He's worth more than Beasley and the Hawks can pay him more too

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Although he's not cut yet, another option who could be in the 3-4 million range would be Stevie Johnson of the 49ers.

He's still only 28 years old. Was an exquisite player at Buffalo, and just never meshed well in San Fransisco. He was a pretty poor fit for the team needing a quality passer with anticipation, instead of just a hard thrower. He is currently a player worth watching, because SF is up against the cap (only 6m available). Johnson's cap hit is 6m by itself with $0 in dead money.

He is the one WR in this league (well other than OBJ now) who has shown the ability to just turn Richard Sherman inside out. A great, not good route runner who knows how to get open. He's the kind of player that could work wonders in the competitive crucible that is the Seahawks practice field. Someone who could really mentor our WR corps in the arts of the receiving craft like Sherman does for our CBs. If only he could play with a QB that likes to throw to open receivers ...

Back to Johnson though. We had a discussion recently about the virtues of pursuing Vincent Jackson. A move I am very much against. Jackson is a player who is frankly not terrificly skilled at the business of catching footballs. He sports a very low catch to target ratio. I compared him to Luke Willson of 2014. Which should be damning as I think we all considered his pass catching to be an area of concern even at the TE position. The fact he fared better than Jackson who is supposed to be a WR should raise everyone's Houshmandzadeh sense. Even when playing with Rivers in his prime, his catch rates were in the mid 50s.

Johnson by contract is a marvelous catcher of the football. Despite the laundry list of QBs inferior to our own Tarvaris Jackson in quality -- his catch percentages over the last 4 years: 58%, 60%, 69% and 62%. A very reliable pass catcher indeed.

For a player 'losing a step', it's not affected his ability to catch footballs at a high rate.

ceej22

Reaction score
I would love to get him for under $5 mill/yr. I don't see him wanting to come here though. There are other contenders where he will have a chance to put up 100/1,000 (Patriots, Colts, Broncos, etc).

QuahHawk

Reaction score
At this point in his career I doubt stats are his #1 objective. Although there are the Jared Allens of the world.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Im torn on this honestly. We need the big body WR no doubt, but I would like to see someone younger to develop chemistry with Russ over a few years and not a one or two year player and the tail end of his career.

2_0_6

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3egnauzo said:
I'm getting a more 9er-y vibe for AJ.

I heard this swirling around the interwebz today also. Having him and Boldin would make their WR's probably the oldest combo in the league.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm with the Lawyer Milloy school of thought that Andre Johnson would be a great mentor and example to some of our younger wide receivers. I'd bet anything he and Russ will develop chemistry almost like it was instant. (Because they will both work their asses off to do that)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I covet him for the simple fact that he whooped the shit out of Cortland Innegan.

Status
Not open for further replies.