Thank you Pete and John

chris98251

Reaction score
Curious who Pete talked to, betting his mentor Bud Grant before he dropped these decisions.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3kkk6kho said:
I'm shocked, I never thought this would happen. However I do think Paul Allen gave Pete a call and was like, "Isn't it interesting how all these coaches are getting fired? Anyway gotta run."

LOL

Hawks46

Reaction score
I theorized that this was why he was starting to lose the locker room and players.

Always compete seemed to only be on the field and the sidelines were getting a pass. I'm hoping the players buy back in and we get a few more good years out of this core while adding younger blood.

They've gone a fantastic job on the DL, the secondary looks decent, and there are some good OL pieces.

Plus we're going to have some cap space when Chancellor and Avril come off the books.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":l96s7r29 said:
I know some disagree, but I think this was the owners call!
Regardless, I’m happy it happened.

I also believe this was coming from the Boss man directly.

tc06067

Reaction score
I don't think PA made Pete do it. I think Pete would have walked away if forced to do something he didn't want to do.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I put my money on JS being the one putting his foot down with Paul backing him putting pressure on Pete. When GB came calling for JS, it was supposed to be his dream job, no way he turns down the dream job if he's not getting any ability to dictate direction on the team and they went ahead with the status quo again. I believe he laid it on the line, if I'm here and I stay, changes are being made, this is my team, I'll outlast Pete, I'm with ya but we're making my changes. Paul backs him and Pete has no choice but to get on board.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I for one am glad it's happening this year and not last. The NFL is a business. You simply do not run an efficient business with high turnover. It's the difference between leadership and whoever runs the Browns

You stick with your guy who's shown success before, especially if you're making the playoffs. And you stick with em until they've proven they can't get it done and we fall flat. That's why I'm kind of glad we missed the playoffs. But you don't go firing people left and right, that's not what STABLE franchises do

THE TABS

Reaction score
Watching what happened in Green Bay last week showed me that, even stable successful organizations that stay true to their philosophies know when to make changes. Yes, losing Aaron Rodgers for the majority of the season was a big reason why the Packers missed the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, but they had a lot of other issues, so, they did what needed to be done; they shook up the coaching staff, and reassigned key front office figures.

Just when it looked like we were going to stay the course, we get what happened today. I give Pete credit, this was not a knee-jerk reaction to a disappointing season; it was a series of calculated moves that absolutely had to be done.

Letting these coaches go was the easiest part of this offseason. Now comes the hard part...who to cut, who to keep, who to sign, and who to draft. Now I’m not dreading it.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1vpk3221 said:
I for one am glad it's happening this year and not last. The NFL is a business. You simply do not run an efficient business with high turnover. It's the difference between leadership and whoever runs the Browns

You stick with your guy who's shown success before, especially if you're making the playoffs. And you stick with em until they've proven they can't get it done and we fall flat. That's why I'm kind of glad we missed the playoffs. But you don't go firing people left and right, that's not what STABLE franchises do

I'm not, I feel like we got a burned year out of this. It takes time for a new oc and dc to get his team up to speed, that could've been this down year but we stayed the course to what end??? This was far from a knee jerk reaction this was a downward trajectory that went on too long and the injuries just sped up the timeline or we may be riding this out another offseason. If we crept in to the dance, anybody believe the status quo would have changed??? I'm all for calculated smart decision making and I like the steady hand at the wheel we've had but you've also got to know when it's time to move on. I just feel like we left it long but in the end this was gonna be a down year either way and changes are made, so I'm hopeful and optimistic going forward.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete has final say on player personnel and full say on coaching staff. It’s in his contract. It’s the only way he would agree to return to the NFL after having no control in his two previous head coaching stints in NY and NE.

This was his call. It’s possible Paul made suggestions, and I would not be at all surprised if Pete and John discussed plans, but the decision was Pete’s.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":1kj7qm9i said:
I had to get on just to see how many people have just had there mind blown... Walsh losing those games was a blessing in disguise. If we made the playoffs this probably doesn’t happen.

Interesting point

djb28

Reaction score
I would like to think that this place was the reason. Any player or coach viewing these boards over the past few years already had it placed into their subconscious that these men should be dismissed!

Latest posts