Thanks for the trade!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Bill Barnwell of Grantland weighs in on the trade. Some relevant parts of his piece are included below:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-n ... ent-where/

Using the Draft Pick Value Calculator generated by Chase Stuart at Football Perspective, we can estimate the difference in value between the two draft picks. We also have to guess where New Orleans’s draft pick will land, since compensatory picks have yet to be handed out, but it should come within one or two slots of the 110th overall pick. Using those figures, the balance of what the Seahawks sent amounts to the equivalent of the 65th pick in the draft — the first pick of the third round. That certainly sounds a lot less dramatic than dealing a first-round pick for a fourth-rounder.

While his background is obviously unconventional, the Seahawks don’t need to do anything extraordinary to get Graham involved. They’re going to throw the same sort of seam passes that Wilson would throw to Zach Miller and Luke Willson in the past, just more often and with more success. Graham is going to be a nightmare for teams that try to push a safety in the box to stop Marshawn Lynch, because there are only about a dozen players on the planet who can cover Graham one-on-one, and two of them happen to play for his new team.

Barnwell acknowledges that Graham's contract is going to be a little unwieldy for the Hawks, and suggests that it may force an either/or choice between Graham and Lynch in 2016. But he also talks about why Unger was included:

A Pro Bowl–caliber center who has struggled to stay healthy in recent seasons, the 28-year-old Unger was just about due for a new deal. He was entering the third year of a four-year, $26 million extension that has relatively docile cap hits of $4.5 million in both 2015 and 2016. After that, a healthy Unger would have likely expected to see his cap hit double, pointing to the Alex Mack deal as a comparable contract. Seattle couldn’t afford to give Unger that much money, and in trading him now, it was able to get a serious asset who upgraded them at a more meaningful position.

And he sounds more than a little concerned about the Saints:

For the Saints, this is a serious repudiation of their all-in philosophy from a year ago and the quality of the team Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis thought they had built. I wrote about their cap woes in December, and while I pointed out the accounting method that would enable them to overcome their $27 million nightmare and get underneath the hard cap, there wasn’t going to be much space to reshape their franchise.

New Orleans had already cut Curtis Lofton and Pierre Thomas this offseason, but to make serious changes to its roster in the years to come, it was going to have to carve one or two of the top salaries off the books. One of those players, apparently, was Graham. While the Saints get $19 million in cap relief over 2016 and 2017, they don’t actually save any money in 2015. With the dead money on his deal, Graham’s cap hold actually rises from $8 million to $9 million. The Saints then add the $4.5 million on Unger’s deal to their 2015 cap, and they’ll also owe an extra $750,000 or so for the salary difference between the draft picks they just traded.

After battling so hard to get underneath the cap of $143 million, New Orleans is already nearly $3 million over the cap. Loomis suggested after the trade that he made the deal to improve New Orleans’s defense, which certainly makes it strange that he traded Graham for a center and not a defensive player.

To say the Saints players aren’t taking this well might be an understatement. Brees noted afterward that he was shocked by the trade and ” … loved [Graham].” Cornerback Keenan Lewis publicly said he wanted the remaining three years of his contract guaranteed or wanted to be released, which ranks right up there with “Operation Shutdown” as far as hollow, leverage-less threats go. The Saints brought in Tramon Williams for a visit last night, but they’ll have to convince him to work with a very strict, player-unfriendly contract structure to come to New Orleans. They’ll also have to convince him he isn’t coming to a team that’s falling apart.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":39i5sh0e said:
HawKnPeppa":39i5sh0e said:
Funny how all of the posts in this thread ignore what Guido said about Graham's injuries, and how those injuries have caused his play to regress. This deal isn't as lopsided as it looks.

Where is this "regression" of which you speak? I don't really see a case to be made for it in these numbers. The most significant difference is in the 2014 vs. 2013 TDs but I don't see a pattern here. Especially not in the number of annual receptions.

Rec Yards TD
2011 99 1,310 11
2012 85 982 9
2013 86 1,215 16
2014 85 889 10

edit: Tried to cleanup the table formatting. Sorry if it doesn't come out right. Point is, there is no regression in Graham's number of receptions. 2014 TD's are down from 2013 but on par with 2011 and 2012.
I think he may be referring to his last few games last year. At least that is what some saints fans brought up when discussing it with them. Five games is not a regression especially if he was playing injured. Something to note perhaps

all I care about is the 10 plus touchdowns per year. He is a huge red zone target and what the Hawks lacked. I'm excited to see him hit the field.

McGruff

Reaction score
At least one Saints fan is pretty upset about losing Graham . . .

[youtube]Y7eB82FsFP4[/youtube]

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ei61xk9 said:
I had no idea the African American gingers were so popular with the ladies.

I'll share a lady secret - men magically get more handsome for each inch of height over 6 feet and each zero in their bank account. Even gingers.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Guido, what are your thoughts on Jimmy's "defiant dunks" in last year's preseason games that cost 15 yard penalties?

And was there a rift over the WR/TE contract argument or was it "strictly business?
\"

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
ivotuk":2sg7mfrr said:
Guido, what are your thoughts on Jimmy's "defiant dunks" in last year's preseason games that cost 15 yard penalties?

And was there a rift over the WR/TE contract argument or was it "strictly business?
\"

Hmm...he will learn from Lynch to abuse...err, I mean abide by the no fun league rules strictly but at the same time, get fined only. Poor lynch will not be able to crotch grab next year...or ever...unless they are way up in score....

netskier

Reaction score
Re rift, wide receivers get paid a LOT more than TEs when franchise tagged, and NO was using him as a WR most of the time, so several million dollars were at stake.

Jville

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":1btcm1vo said:
As much as I love Graham I can't help but be very enthused about this deal. It frees up the cap situation, gives the Saints the much needed anchor at center, adds a second first round pick and give the other two very capable TE's (Ben Watson and Josh Hill) more playing time.

Center Max Unger was credited with being a big help with the zone blocking scheme in Seattle. That and his proven leadership would appear to be an important attribute for the Saints in 2015.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/575767110816677888[/tweet]

jackflash50

Reaction score
I see this as a win/win. Yes Unger was injured a lot of last year but I would never bad mouth him. He gave the Seahawks some great years. The Saints interior line is strong. Add Unger to that line and they are looking good inside. On the Seahawks side that means Carp and Unger are gone. While Carp never became what we all expected he did have a good year last season playing LG. Replacing 2 O-line spots is tough considering this team lives & dies with #24 running the ball to set everything else up. I would love to see them bring in Wis to play center but they did prove last year that for 10 games they could get by w/out Unger. In getting Graham the Seahawks picked up probably the best red zone TE in the NFL over the past 3 seasons. Graham is still young & should open things up for the rec'ers as well as Wilson in a double TE set. I do feel the Seahawks may have gotten the better of the deal in the end however the Saints didn't lose in this one.

Jville

Reaction score
The Max Unger acquisition was the prerequisite for rebuilding their offensive line.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/576070599212163072[/tweet]

Ben Grubbs was a 16 game starter. Looks like they are rebuilding and need a smart guy (Unger) in the middle to help lead the way.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/576082353308590080[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/576080684835438593[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/576081604239446016[/tweet]

Barthawk

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":3n1h1f6n said:
As much as I love Graham I can't help but be very enthused about this deal. It frees up the cap situation, gives the Saints the much needed anchor at center, adds a second first round pick and give the other two very capable TE's (Ben Watson and Josh Hill) more playing time.

From the looks of it you might be visiting several other boards with this same salutation.