The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tical21

Reaction score
The good vets aren't inspiring anyone and it makes everybody press. I can't remember ever seeing a team so in need of fresh young talent. Unfortunately, we don't have any coming anytime soon. It is time to completely start over and see if we can get a couple exciting young players for Felix and/or anybody else we might be able to get good prospects for. If we do it right, Taijuan and Marte should be the only players on the current roster that should be on the roster two years from today.

We changed 75% of the roster and it didn't change a thing. That tells you it is a culture thing. There is an apathy in that building that needs to be blown up. It is time for the fans to start riding Cano verbally. Can you imagine if NY or Boston paid that kind of money for a player and he does this? Only 7 more years.

sutz

Reaction score
I had an idea. Tell all of them jokers to shave the facial hair, go full on Yankees on them. Then tell them they can grow them back when they get above .500 for a full week.

Hey, baseball stuff ain't registering with them. Probably spend more time combing their beards than in the batting cage.

Hawker

Reaction score
That 2-1 start (could have easily been 3-0) is a distant memory.

Sigh.

Subzero717

Reaction score
The core Cano, Cruz and Seager seem to be the worst part of the line up right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Subzero717

Reaction score
Why aren't the other teams bothered by Safeco? I cant wrap my head around it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1shulc75 said:
The good vets aren't inspiring anyone and it makes everybody press. I can't remember ever seeing a team so in need of fresh young talent. Unfortunately, we don't have any coming anytime soon. It is time to completely start over and see if we can get a couple exciting young players for Felix and/or anybody else we might be able to get good prospects for. If we do it right, Taijuan and Marte should be the only players on the current roster that should be on the roster two years from today.

We changed 75% of the roster and it didn't change a thing. That tells you it is a culture thing. There is an apathy in that building that needs to be blown up. It is time for the fans to start riding Cano verbally. Can you imagine if NY or Boston paid that kind of money for a player and he does this? Only 7 more years.

It starts at the top. Does anyone even know who our owner is? Some faceless Japanese conglomerate full of dudes in suits sitting around a conference table 5,000 miles away.

Add in the fact that Lincoln and Armstrong have literally been stealing their paychecks from the M's for going on decades now, worst executives in baseball history with their heads so far up their butts that they can't even see straight.

So until there's a passionate owner who's 100% engaged in the success of his baseball team who will hire the right baseball executives to run his team and work in unison with the GM and manager? Loserville will continue.

Msfann

Reaction score
Subzero717":3plyv46w said:
Why aren't the other teams bothered by Safeco? I cant wrap my head around it.

Here's a post from blstoker on another forum about that.

"People have said and alluded to that other teams can come into Safeco and hit the ball where the Mariners can't, The numbers show that it's pretty evident that away teams don't hit any better in Safeco than the Mariners, and overall they may be slightly worse, and it really doesn't matter how far back you go.

.........................Mariners.................Opponent
10 years - .(.249/.308/.378/.686).(.246/.310/.382/.691)
5 years - ..(.235/.298/.367/.665). (.236/.298/.367/.662)
3 years - ..(.244/.305/.388/.693). (.237/.297/.376/.673)
2 years - ..(.247/.304/.388/.693). (.229/.290/.361/.652)

Opponents aren't coming into Safeco and having a field day while the Mariners can't hit. The team does need to improve their bats at home, and it would be nice to see the season home split close to .260 this season (currently sits at .155). If they can do that, and the pitching keeps the opponents around .230, we'll see some great success at home - unfortunately that's a big if."

So my question then is why is Safeco such a crappy place to hit in and what can be done about it? Its not the air, that might only effect some home wall scrapers. It cant be the lighting because they just replaced all of the field lighting this year. The players originally hated the backdrop and they changed it but guys still aren't hitting the ball. They replaced most of the team and they STILL cant hit the damn ball at home.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
just move in the walls... or build a team that plays to your parks strengths.

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1tecfbdo said:
just move in the walls... or build a team that plays to your parks strengths.
Well, they did move the walls in a few years ago. I don't think that helps averages, though, mostly just home runs.

Supposedly, we were building a team that better suited the stadium this year, with more speed and better averages rather than pure power hitters. The bats certainly haven't woke up yet, but there have been other breakdowns, too. Some serious pitching breakdowns have led to big run deficits that basically take the 'small ball' approach off the table. When you're down by 5-6 runs in the 7th inning, it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade outs for bases by sacrificing. There have been some poorly timed errors (if there's ever a good time for them) that have extended innings, and frankly, I've seen more than a few questionable ball/strike calls that extended at bats farther than they maybe should have gone.

I hate to say "bad luck" because even if it is bad luck, it's the kind of thing that takes the heart out of the team, and certainly the fans. It's like everybody on the field and in the stands is waiting for the next shoe to drop, the next swing at a pitch in the dirt with RISP, the next wild pitch, or bobbled ground ball. Right now, it feels like everybody is expecting the worst, and we've had many years of getting just that, so it isn't really all that unreasonable to do so.

The announcers keep pumping the kool-aid, but the team really needs to start producing if they want to win the fans back. Finish April 15-20 games back, and we'll be averaging less than 10k fans/game again.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
So typical:

Mark Trumbo .464 AVG, 2 HR, 5 RBI, .500 OBP
Adam Lind: .059 AVG, 0 HR, 0RBI, .059 OBP

I don't know what it is, but players always play their worst with the Mariners. How many times do we see someone play well before they come here, struggle with us, and then do well once they leave? Either that or we just kill their careers and they never recover.....cough cough Jeff Cirillo and Chone Figgins.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Can't believe I just did this, but I got $70 to win $50 on the M's today. I'll be an actual fan today for obvious reasons. They had a players only meeting after yesterday's game plus trying to avoid the home-stand sweep.

kearly

Reaction score
Mariners BABIP is now at .224. And those numbers don't include yesterday's shutout loss which will likely tank that number further. The horrible luck just continues... in fact it seems to somehow be getting worse.

Most teams have an unlucky stretch like this during the season. It just sucks that for Seattle, it happened right out of the gate.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
I'm not buying the unlucky rhetoric.. They suck.. That's it.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
That double play seager just hit into w the bases loaded... Very mariner like

Status
Not open for further replies.