The Athletic's Mock Draft for SEA, 4/24/2023

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
This morning, Michael-Shawn Dugar, the principal Seahawks writer on The Athletic staff, published his final mock draft for our team. I believe that a lot of you here will like what he did. Nobody will love every pick. I didn't, but overall I believe that it's a great haul.

In summary, he didn't draft a QB, he made three trades ending up with 10 players and a future 2024 1st round draft pick, and he believes that he selected four potential Week 1 starters.

At #5, with Bryce Young, Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson and Anthony Richardson already gone, TEN trades up from #11 to #5, in exchange for their #11, their 3rd round pick (#72), and their 2024 1st round pick.

At #11, Seattle selects EDGE Nolan Smith of Georgia.

With the #20 pick, Seattle again trades down, this time from #20 to #25. In exchange, Seattle gets #25 from NYG, and their 3rd round pick (#89).

At #25, Seattle selects G O'Cyrus Torrence of Florida.

At #37, Seattle stays put and selects C Joe Tippman of Wisconsin.

With NYJ on the clock at #43, Seattle trades up... giving up pick #52, #123 and #151 to the Jets.

At # 43, Seattle selects DT Mazi Smith of Michigan.

At #72
(from TEN), Seattle selects LB Dorian Williams of Tulane.

At #83, Seattle selects RB Tyjae Spears of Tulane.

At #89
(from NYG), Seattle selects WR Jonathan Mingo of Ole Miss.

At #123, Seattle selects TE Zach Kuntz of Old Dominion.

At #154, Seattle selects DT Karl Brooks of Bowling Green.

At #237, Seattle selects CB D'Shawn Jamison of Texas.

I wasn't enamored with O'Cyrus Torrence in the 1st round but other than that, I sure like Dugar's picks.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
That's nearly my ideal draft. Clear pass rusher. Clear NT. Prioritizing OL over skill positions. Not going CB or WR until a bit later. Getting a future 1st, from a team that may struggle next year. I'd be giddy with this.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Nolan Smith? No thanks. He’s an athletic freak with no stats. He should have dominated with Carter and all the other talent around him. He seems more like a guy we could take a chance on at 20, but not as our top pick. We can’t afford to screw this pick up, our D is bad due to to many years of bad picks.

Last edited:

Anajimmc

Reaction score
I've played around and done tons of mocks. I've selected all except 237 multiple times.

James in PA

Reaction score
Yea, that draft feels a little too cutesy for me. definitely something they would have done prior to last year. Therefore I can see them doing something like that, but I hope not. Just take Jalen Carter in that scenario.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
"With NYJ on the clock at #43, Seattle trades up... giving up pick #52, #123 and #151 to the Jets."
"At #123, Seattle selects TE Zach Kuntz of Old Dominion."

# 123 was traded already.... :)

WarHawks

Reaction score
At #5, with Bryce Young, Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson and Anthony Richardson already gone,
IF, and that's a huge if, they feel that strongly about one of those 4 that they would actually trade down with Stroud, Levis and Carter still on the board, then they should try to trade up. They have the draft capital to get a difference maker that can tilt the field, not trade down and settle. This is the year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, it's just a mock. There's hundreds of them. Trading down at 5 wouldn't be my choice either. At 20, sure.
If it's a garbage mock, let's see yours. Not trying to argue, I just like seeing mocks, and I'm curious what yours looks like.
Not who you WANT, but what they will do.

Rat

Reaction score
I love O'Cyrus and he hit on some nice later round picks, but I think he got poor value on the first trade down. Not getting anything better than a 3rd this year for trading out of the top 10 would be disappointing.