The Elephant in the Room.....

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":124h12u8 said:
Overseasfan":124h12u8 said:
Maybe they just believe in Sherman, Lane and Shead so much that they don't really value CB depth as much anymore. Especially with Elliott being a capable back-up and Powell looking like Shead 2.0

If Simon is the very last CB it could mean that they keep him for upside. To be honest Simon still has more upside than any CB we let go.
A small statistical sample size is often misleading......

During and ever since XLIX he has been an epic failure on game days. I honestly cannot remember him making a standout good play during a game. His body of work on game days isn't the least bit impressive. If I'm an opposing coach or QB my eyes would light up and we are throwing often to whomever #27 is covering.

This isn't an indictment on Simon the person, as I'm sure he is a peach of a guy, it's just the man isn't good at playing defensive back at the the NFL level.

It is really all just a ploy.....after half a dozen pick sixes they will figure it out. :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":nh4yfapy said:
Sports Hernia":nh4yfapy said:
Overseasfan":nh4yfapy said:
Maybe they just believe in Sherman, Lane and Shead so much that they don't really value CB depth as much anymore. Especially with Elliott being a capable back-up and Powell looking like Shead 2.0

If Simon is the very last CB it could mean that they keep him for upside. To be honest Simon still has more upside than any CB we let go.
A small statistical sample size is often misleading......

During and ever since XLIX he has been an epic failure on game days. I honestly cannot remember him making a standout good play during a game. His body of work on game days isn't the least bit impressive. If I'm an opposing coach or QB my eyes would light up and we are throwing often to whomever #27 is covering.

This isn't an indictment on Simon the person, as I'm sure he is a peach of a guy, it's just the man isn't good at playing defensive back at the the NFL level.

It is really all just a ploy.....after half a dozen pick sixes they will figure it out. :2thumbs:
If Simon has half a dozen pick 6's this year, I'll be the first one singing his praises.
But let's be real, your chances of getting eaten tonight by a T-REX in your backyard are likelier to happen. 8)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Same reason they drafted Christine Michael. Stratospheric potential.

Right now, though, he's Cary Williams in terms of his ability to help the team.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Sigh...I thought he was finally cut. I haven't been online reading much lately. Simon should have went and Burley should have stayed. Let's just say, I don't have that 'feeling' about this team this season. ESPECIALLY the defense.

titan3131

Reaction score
i think he intercepted peyton manning once in a preseason blowout? idk cant be sure.

HawkerD

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ncnamqv8 said:
The elephant in the room is usually something people refuse to acknowledge even though everyone has to see it.

Most of us are pretty clear on the Simon concerns.

To me, the real elephant in the room is how average the defense looks, how thin the depth and how it feels like we are shifting the focus to offense as the means to win games.

Which in this decade has not often really been a pathway to successful SB victories.

It does sell tickets though.

At last look the Hawks have no problem selling tickets. Aside from that the one thing that sells tickets is WINNING!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's not really that hard to figure out. Simon still has a lot of potential to be a very good player on this defense. Burley was pretty much insurance for Jeremy Lane. If you are banking on the notion Lane will be healthy every week, Burley is redundant and will not see the field much at all. Whereas with Simon, you're just hoping it finally clicks for him and he lives up to the expectations.

Obviously this move looks bad if Lane gets hurt again and Simon continues to struggle. But to me, that's the line of thinking as to why Simon was kept over Burley.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":jvt9j5rx said:
At what point does "potential" become "unfounded hopes" or "incorrect projection of talent?"

Honest question, because I think we're past that point with Simon, but others don't. To me, Simon has as much potential as, for example, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, and we dumped the latter, but kept the former.

That doesn't mean Simon still can't have that switch kick on though. It took Maxwell a couple of years to figure it out. Browner was a washout in the CFL before he found his place here. Shead was very similar in career path as well.

Burley is a finished product, and Simon *hopefully* is not. That's what this boils down to.

Oh and btw SJB is still on the roster, just on IR.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":263fp7db said:
To me, the real elephant in the room is how average the defense looks, how thin the depth and how it feels like we are shifting the focus to offense as the means to win games.

What are you comparing our depth to? 2013 where it was historically loaded with cheap all-pro talent? Of course it's going to be thin compared to that, welcome to salary cap football.

Our defense is still one of the best, if not the best, units in the game. I feel like a lot of fans consider anything but the 2013 defense to be average and that skews interpretation of the talent we have on this roster.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1131liah said:
TwistedHusky":1131liah said:

What are you comparing our depth to? 2013 where it was historically loaded with cheap all-pro talent? Of course it's going to be thin compared to that, welcome to salary cap football.

Our defense is still one of the best, if not the best, units in the game. I feel like a lot of fans consider anything but the 2013 defense to be average and that skews interpretation of the talent we have on this roster.

True . . . And where are almost all of our big contracts? Where are almost all of our probowl players? In the last two years we've invested 2 high picks in the defensI've line. All while replacing our probowl RB with an undrafted FA and our left tackle with a colleg eTE and a guy who was out of the league last year. It hardly seems as if we are ignoring the dfense and shifting to the offense.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":795f3ls5 said:
TeamoftheCentury":795f3ls5 said:
I'm not as down on Simon as most seem to be. His high ceiling still intrigues me.
Maybe the Hawks are holding onto him try to trade to another intrigued team? I'd prefer to see his career take off as a Seahawk. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised. Let's go, Simon! We need all your potential on full display opposite Sherman. You got this.
Even *allas wouldn't trade for him and they may have the worst secondary the NFL.
Remember what Chicago gave up for Rick Mirer? It only takes one...
[youtube]FhJh1oJo0uc[/youtube]