The emergency qb rule

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
...rather than use the emergency Qb rule...

They put him on the 53 for the emergency quarterback rule. He flies to Pitt with his team only to find the next day that kyle had made him a healthy scratch vs simply inactive And thus able to dress as the emergency Qb.

Why would he do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
you gotta stop talking about the niners and their QB. Just worry about the hawks organization going forward. I mean if you really want to know then go to their message board

What? This is where we talk about any nfl team nit named the Seahawks.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
They put him on the 53 for the emergency quarterback rule. He flies to Pitt with his team only to find the next day that kyle had made him a healthy scratch vs simply inactive And thus able to dress as the emergency Qb.

Why would he do this?
"Niners sat their rostered Qb rather than use the emergency Qb rule"

I think that exactly is the emergency QB rule.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
No, the rule actually allows for one additional inactive—the Emergency quarterback—to dress. They can only be active if both qb1 and 2 become injured or are ejected.

Put simply, the 9ers realized no advantage by not allowing Allen to dress.

QWERTY

Reaction score
No, the rule actually allows for one additional inactive—the Emergency quarterback—to dress. They can only be active if both qb1 and 2 become injured or are ejected.

Put simply, the 9ers realized no advantage by not allowing Allen to dress.

What are you talking about?

Brock and Darnold were dressed, and Allen is the emergency QB.

Why would Kyle activate 3 QB's?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
What are you talking about?

Brock and Darnold were dressed, and Allen is the emergency QB.

Why would Kyle activate 3 QB's?

The emergency Qb rule allows teams to add a designated INACTIVE third Qb without his counting toward the game day roster count as long as he’s on the 53. So of course Kyle wouldn’t activate Allen. The mystery is why he didn’t let Allen dress at all, given that he dedicated a 53 man spot to Allen already and had flown him to the game.

Trey Lance in Dallas was declared inactive and then dressed as the emergency Qb. Fans clamored For him to enter the game in that blowout, which he couldn’t in that role.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
The emergency Qb rule allows teams to add a designated INACTIVE third Qb without his counting toward the game day roster count as long as he’s on the 53. So of course Kyle wouldn’t activate Allen. The mystery is why he didn’t let Allen dress at all, given that he dedicated a 53 man spot to Allen already and had flown him to the game.

Trey Lance in Dallas was declared inactive and then dressed as the emergency Qb. Fans clamored For him to enter the game in that blowout, which he couldn’t in that role.
Cool story. Again why do you keep track of such trivial sh*t? And why do you care?

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score

Why would he do this?
Doesn't make sense to me either. Fortunately for the 49ers it was immaterial this time.

flv2

Reaction score
Officially Allen, (49ers), and Lance, (Cowboys), were both inactive as opposed to being active but did not play on the NFL's gamebooks. I watched the Cowboys and Lance was clearly dressed to play if needed. I didn't watch the 49ers game and I don't know if Allen was dressed. The NFL doesn't seem to have a 3rd QB designation for fans or media to see. This is probably just a 1st game communications glitch. If Shanahan didn't have Allen dressed as the 3rd QB then he's an idiot, but I have to assume he did. Perfectly valid thread by the op.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Officially Allen, (49ers), and Lance, (Cowboys), were both inactive as opposed to being active but did not play on the NFL's gamebooks. I watched the Cowboys and Lance was clearly dressed to play if needed. I didn't watch the 49ers game and I don't know if Allen was dressed. The NFL doesn't seem to have a 3rd QB designation for fans or media to see. This is probably just a 1st game communications glitch. If Shanahan didn't have Allen dressed as the 3rd QB then he's an idiot, but I have to assume he did. Perfectly valid thread by the op.

Cbssports confirmed they were both inactive, however only Lance was allowed to dress. In the end, the crowd was clamoring for Trey to finish, which he couldn’t Unless he had been made active costing a roster spot.

Cbs called Allen not being dressed a “coach’s decision.” But so was the decision to roster Allen in the first place.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
Allen being on the 49ers active roster didn't make any sense to me if Purdy was healthy.

There were 7 AFC teams with a 3rd QB on the active roster for Week 1 of the 2023 season. The game logs show all 7 teams having 48 players being on the game day roster with the 3rd QBs being inactive scratches. I don't believe this is accurate. I don't believe teams turned down the opportunity to name an emergency QB. Logically this has to be a communication glitch. (I didn't bother checking the NFC).

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Allen being on the 49ers active roster didn't make any sense to me if Purdy was healthy.

There were 7 AFC teams with a 3rd QB on the active roster for Week 1 of the 2023 season. The game logs show all 7 teams having 48 players being on the game day roster with the 3rd QBs being inactive scratches. I don't believe this is accurate. I don't believe teams turned down the opportunity to name an emergency QB. Logically this has to be a communication glitch. (I didn't bother checking the NFC).

The glitch is by design.

The emergency Qb will always be counted as ”inactive” but it should be with an asterisk for The ones who dress.

Shan is probably rethinking Allen as he brought in Ian Book Today. Fine, but you only had Allen on Sunday when you could have released him and instantly signed him to ps if he agreed.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I think Shan should make a play for Cooper Rush. Trade Allen and a fifth rounder To Dallas and both he And Jerruh get what they want. Rush won four games in relief of Dak, and might provide competition to Darnold. Whereas, Jerruh would have the opportunity to elevate Trey to Qb2

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Saints also don’t seem to understand this rule. When Haener got suspended, they immediately redesignated Taysom Hill as a Qb, one that won’t be able to dress until three weeks after his elevation. Why? Because only qbs who have practiced exclusively at Qb for three weeks are eligible.