The John Schneider Show 4/4/24

sc85sis

Reaction score
This really shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. Both guys have been clear all along that they worked as a team. When they disagreed, they found ways to work things out in a manner they both could live with.

The only reason Pete insisted on the “final say” language in his contract was because he had NO say when he was with the Jets and Pats.

sutz

Reaction score
This really shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. Both guys have been clear all along that they worked as a team. When they disagreed, they found ways to work things out in a manner they both could live with.

The only reason Pete insisted on the “final say” language in his contract was because he had NO say when he was with the Jets and Pats.
People love, love, love to remote psychoanalyze coaches and GMs and imagine all of the behind the scenes stuff. :LOL:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
People love, love, love to remote psychoanalyze coaches and GMs and imagine all of the behind the scenes stuff. :LOL:

Much of the "analysis" you get from sportswriters and talking-head mediots is amateur psychology on "patients" with whom they've never had a real conversation (they might have had a brief interaction or participated in one or more short segments on TV).
That ends up being reflected in the opinions of people on talk radio and uh... discussion forums. How many times have I read here about how some $#!+ty-ass player will now have a "chip on his shoulder" :rolleyes: as if that could make a tangible difference in his ability to be a good player in the NFL? There's also the whole "the guy's a winner" nonsense, as if one player could be responsible for the success of a team of dozens of players and dozens of coaches and support staff.
What I think most sports fans don't understand, when they call players things like "lazy" or "not supremely talented, but a hard worker," or when they think having "a chip on his shoulder" will make a measurable performance difference, is that every top-league professional athlete is a freak of nature who has also busted his ass to get where he is*.

When people don't understand the strategies, the tactics, or the numbers, they resort to amateur psychology on "patients" they've never met.

And that extends to coaches and executives. Every Seahawks roster adjustment or in-game decision ends up generating speculative amateur psychology on the people involved. It's all nonsense, but the people who do it don't realize it, because they grew up seeing professional sportswriters and sportscasters getting paid well to crap out such "analysis," and since it's pretty obvious those professionals don't have any relevant background or sufficient knowledge of the individuals involved to be able to formulate such analysis rationally and scientifically, then of course non-professionals are just as qualified to do the same thing. They're not wrong about that. Every sports fan is just as qualified as a professional sportswriter or sportscaster to make up useless bull$#!+ like "is a winner" or "chips on their shoulders" or imagined office politics in an office they've never visited, between people they don't know.

* (That description of players was taken from a comment on the USENET newsgroup rec.sport.baseball in the 1990s by Gary Huckabay, one of the founders of Baseball Prospectus. I've used it a lot over the years.)

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score

I love that segment so much. Cuban utterly destroys the whole narrative-driven, utter-bull$#!+ mediot content and points out there were real X's-and-O's explanations for all the stuff Braynless attributed to amateur-psychological BS he just made up as a way to attack a player (LeBron James). The key quote, after Braynless says "well, that's all I saw" at about 3:12: "[t]hat's exactly right. That's all you saw." Cuban can see that Braynless does not have a real understanding of what went on in the 2011 or 2012 NBA finals, and he points it out to everyone. GLORIOUS!

SeaWolv

Reaction score
This has been the point I and others have been trying to illustrate. Yeah they may have worked as a team but JS knew PC had veto power and had to limit his personnel choices to options he knew PC would accept or veto power would be invoked. So he just didn't force the issue. He now no longer has that constraint which means he can make the choices he wants without having to pay deference to PC.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So those excusing JS for a lot of the BS moves and giving him a free pass can now shutup?

bileever

Reaction score
So those excusing JS for a lot of the BS moves and giving him a free pass can now shutup?
Yes, the idea that it was all John has me worried. If JS was responsible for Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Sheldon Richardson and Jamal Adams, then we have a problem.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Yes, the idea that it was all John has me worried. If JS was responsible for Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Sheldon Richardson and Jamal Adams, then we have a problem.
If John wasn't on board with those moves, then they never would have happened. He's the one ultimately that is having these conversations with other GM's.

If you're expecting them to operate in a different manner when it comes to transactions, free agency, the draft, etc. then you're mistaken. I never have understood why he would get less credit or blame for certain moves based on what we know. Pete would obviously give his input. But John is pulling the trigger. You're naive if you think otherwise.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Those were all moves for one of two things, satisfy Wilson and give him the weapons he asked for and create a tilt on the field or a last desperation push to win by Pete. Failure of Wilson to use and target them in the roles they do best because of his limitations or the OC's non call or design of plays to take advantage of their strengths or both. The defensive guys were pushes to go over the top for a push I am almost positive and Pete would have wanted these types of guys figuring he could handle them. Both problem children with previous teams as well.