The Legacy of Jake Browning

getnasty

Reaction score
I should have done more research Russell doesn't have near a good enough winning percentage to mentioned in the same breath as Browning. Now Tom Brady in NE a better comp.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

getnasty":grixv159 said:
I should have done more research Russell doesn't have near a good enough winning percentage to mentioned in the same breath as Browning. Now Tom Brady in NE a better comp.

You are just arguing against yourself, I never compared Jake to RW.

If you want to debate something, post something worthwhile, you're just making manipulative posts trying to put words in my mouth. It's not intelligent and you are not fooling anyone.

sdog1981

Reaction score
How can you defend him? He will always be remembered as the QB who held back the best defenses the school has had since the 1990's.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
getnasty":1zo00jn5 said:
His legacy will be similar to Trent Dilfers legacy with the Hawks.
Wrong! Dilfer won at least ONE big game. Jake Browning won ZERO big games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sdog1981":212kmo1q said:
How can you defend him? He will always be remembered as the QB who held back the best defenses the school has had since the 1990's.
THIS!

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Jake Browning legacy? The last 4 years were not the Jake Browning legacy. I see the last 4 years of the wasted Myles Gaskin legacy. The coaching staff consistently tried to execute/force bad passing focused early game plans. They gave up way to early on the run multiple times.

A lot of people talk about the 4 years of Browning, instead of the 4 years of Gaskin, its a shame.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why do people assert this last 4 years as poor? Played in a national championship semifinal. Played in a rose bowl. Continually a part of the national conversation.

Did it go as well as it could? Certainly not. But it was a remarkable 4 years considering the depths the program rose from.

Now... with the taste back in their mouths, can the Huskies build on it and even take the next (which again is the last) step... thats where they are.

Thats better than 95% of the programs in the country and miles ahead of anyone in the pac 12.

There are 4-6 truly elite programs. Washington is just on the outside of that... as are programs like michigan, auburn, maybe notre dame and Wisconsin in terms of consistency.

This is not bad. You can paint Brownings legacy within that however you want (great stats, didnt win the big one) but hes a significant part of a significant rise in husky football

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Browning is probably the least talented statistically impressive QB I have ever seen. The dude has such an unimpressive physical profile and skill set, it really is remarkable.

To me, his legacy is that he was the QB on some good teams during a time when the PAC 12 was mostly crap, and he was carried by an elite run game and defense.

He was almost never great in the big games when the team really needed him, but he was good at beating up on and racking up stats against inferior competition.

He won't even get a sniff in the NFL due to his noodle arm and tiny frame.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Next year, we have that kid that transferred from (Georgia?) and everyone is going to see what they have been missing.

I am sure Browning did what he could. He just did not have the talent or tools to do the job.

The disappointing part was that so many pieces of a great team were in place. The comment on Gaskin is a good one too. Gaskin was the one that really carried this team.

Gaskin and that defense. However, with the quality of WRs and TEs this team had, it makes you wish the QB was not the massive weak link on the field that he was.

He did what he could, he was just overmatched. It was more just squandering the opportunity we had with all those other great players where not having a great QB made such a difference.

sdog1981

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ism1vrq said:
Next year, we have that kid that transferred from (Georgia?) and everyone is going to see what they have been missing.

I am sure Browning did what he could. He just did not have the talent or tools to do the job.

The disappointing part was that so many pieces of a great team were in place. The comment on Gaskin is a good one too. Gaskin was the one that really carried this team.

Gaskin and that defense. However, with the quality of WRs and TEs this team had, it makes you wish the QB was not the massive weak link on the field that he was.

He did what he could, he was just overmatched. It was more just squandering the opportunity we had with all those other great players where not having a great QB made such a difference.

There were parts of the filed that were completely closed off to the Husky offense due to Browning's arm. Once teams figured that out they just ran pressman and blitzed knowing he would never burn them deep.

Ohio State did not go into cruise control in the 4th QTR they turned the engine off completely.

chris98251

Reaction score
The topic is legacy, I think it is going to be much like Locker and Pickett. Not remembered unless Googled.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":1kaz5ei7 said:
Why do people assert this last 4 years as poor? Played in a national championship semifinal. Played in a rose bowl. Continually a part of the national conversation.

Did it go as well as it could? Certainly not. But it was a remarkable 4 years considering the depths the program rose from.

Now... with the taste back in their mouths, can the Huskies build on it and even take the next (which again is the last) step... thats where they are.

Thats better than 95% of the programs in the country and miles ahead of anyone in the pac 12.

There are 4-6 truly elite programs. Washington is just on the outside of that... as are programs like michigan, auburn, maybe notre dame and Wisconsin in terms of consistency.

This is not bad. You can paint Brownings legacy within that however you want (great stats, didnt win the big one) but hes a significant part of a significant rise in husky football

It's called perspective, EXCELLENT post!

getnasty

Reaction score
DomeHawk":36j5dqov said:
Uncle Si":36j5dqov said:

It's called perspective, EXCELLENT post!

I don't think by any stretch people think the last four years for UW football have been poor and I'm not sure anyone is saying that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Alot of people are saying it didnt meet expectations and Browning is the reason. Its all over this thread in particular.

And i dont disagree with the idea Browning didnt take his chance to cement his legacy as the greatest Husky QB ever. He certainly had the chances over his 4 years.

Outside a few here skewering him relentlessly for not being elite, i think browning will be remembered as the qb who oversaw the revival.

Next qb can be the one who took the Huskies to that next (final) level.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
He's UW's Cody Kessler, Smart, great attitude, tough, and maximized his physical skills, unfortunately his physical skills were not enough to push him over the top.