The Niners' gameplan to combat the 12th man

jeffjtk123

Reaction score
Yeah that letter is stupid. As a Niner fan I am embarrassed about that.

I think ALL DB's hold on almost every pass play. The difference is that the Hawk'd DB's hold but also play incredibly physical, so it just seems worst then it is. Roddy White said:

"These are the toughest guys you are going to face," Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White said of the Seattle Seahawks' secondary on NFL Network's "NFL AM." "The way that they scheme, the guys that they have out there playing man-to-man coverage. They are all tall, they are all long, they are all lanky guys. They have perfected holding."

I think that sums it up pretty well. I don't think you have "perfected holding." Its just a by-product of playing incredibly physical football, which so far has worked nicely for the Hawks. I would be more than happy if the Niners adopted a coverage style similar to the Hawks. The Niners tend to play off coverage, which is kind of stupid considering we rely on a 4 man rush. The Hawks in the past have gashed us with short quick routes.

Regardless, I think if the Niners decide to go no huddle its a mistake. You simply need to utilize motion and bunch formations to disrupt the way the Hawks like to play defense. I wouldnt be surprised though Roman tends to try to be cute with playcalling.

lsheldon

Reaction score
#49ers … Is the #Seahawks secondary really the NFL's grabbiest group? NFL Films' Greg Cosell weighed in on @KNBR …

“I think that’s probably myth,” Cosell said. “When you watch tape, everybody does stuff. It’s just you’re talking about a good team that’s in the spotlight, very visible, with a lot of talkative guys. And I can tell you right now – and I know in San Francisco they may not like to hear it – that’s the best secondary in football and it’s not close.

"Earl Thomas is hands down the best free safety in the game, there’s probably no one in the discussion. (Cornerback Richard) Sherman, if you just watch Sherman on film, the guy is unbelievable. It’s the old Michael Irvin discussion about him pushing off. After awhile, it’s irrelevant. If the flag’s not out, then it doesn’t matter. It’s not a hold.”

http://sulia.com/channel/san-francisco- ... ce=twitter

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
My version...

Dear Commissioner Goodell:

This weekend the Seahawks will play the 49ers in the NFC Championship game for the right to advance to the Superbowl. The NFL community (ie. players, coaches and fans) are discovering a disturbing trend that any NFC West fan has know for at least three seasons that could directly affect the outcome of the upcoming championship game.

The 49er fans are not acting within the confines of what we like to think are the qualities that normal red-blooded American football fans around the rest of the NFL exhibit and they are bringing down the image and integrity displayed by the rest of us.

When one team's fan are afforded valuable air-time for their typical amount of complaining against other teams, it starts to become what the rest of us know as simply "whining". Based on the antics of their animated and irrational coach, this fan base is quick to complain, but then cheer when their team does the same. They complain about loud stadiums, then send out a communication on how to be loud, they complain about tough playing defensive players, but then play tough themselves, they complain about cheap shots, but then head-butt and trash-talk on the field. Hard to understand what they are really complaining about, but it takes away from the competitive spirit of the game which in turn takes away from the entertainment value of the game.

Their complaining is now obviously just a last effort feeble attempt to influence the commissioner of the NFL to give them favor. The NFL is experiencing record ticket sales and TV viewership, and teams around the league are seeing an increase in fan support. If it were widely known that certain teams were just whiners like this, I am certain the popularity of the NFL would plummet.

Casual fans, drive-by fans, hard-core fans, current players, coaches, commentators and anyone with a shred of testosterone are all talking about the increase in whining the 49ers are getting away with. When will the NFL or anyone put a stop to this? I know that the 49ers are the league's most whining team in all of football. They are certainly not being reprimanded enough if this whimpy-assed, little girl, tattle-tale tactic is a sign of what is to continue.

As a life-long fan of the National Football League I would ask you to be a good steward of the game and put a stop to the negative antics of these whiny 49er fans and allow us, the normal fans of the NFL, to watch a truly spectacular game this weekend without hearing their sorry complaints. Win or lose we simply ask for a fair competition of grown men (without whining). We would be happy just playing the game.

sorry this is purely in bad humor, but I couldn't help it