The O is great; D Bad

Scout

Reaction score
That's a baseball analogy.
In football, every game counts a lot more.

Since going to a 17 game season I disagree.

The NFL seasons are longer compared to the past and you can recover and make the playoffs now with the new playoff format.

calinator

Reaction score
I know it gets talked here ad nauseum like a joke to a point but this is why you get Jalen instead of Witherspoon. DBs can only do so much back there and they are completely reliant on pressure and it starts with your defensive front.

Scout

Reaction score
I know it gets talked here ad nauseum like a joke to a point but this is why you get Jalen instead of Witherspoon. DBs can only do so much back there and they are completely reliant on pressure and it starts with your defensive front.

True to an extent but you can make it work if you employ the Patriots scheme or something similar The Patriots put a premium on finding DBs that can play which allows the Patriots to do creative things on the front end.

The Hawks are not doing anything creative on the front end with Hurtt so far but that could change. With the talent the Hawks have on the backend they can be more aggressive with the front seven IMO.

Scout

Reaction score
The third down defense continues to be god awful even on 3rd and long
Prevent style defenses don't work in the modern NFL.

With the talented DBs the Hawks have they should just send an extra rusher on every third and long.

Last edited:

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
31 points. Consistly in shell coverage.

If Geno didn't play like an MVP, you wouldn't be heaping praise on the defense.

You're boiling it down to W-L results.

My concern is process.

And that brief series where they were pressure based in the 2nd half only proves, I am correct.

They need to trashcan the shell coverage, show pressure, bring pressure, and play more man behind it.
Process my arse...the D overall played well against a very good offense. It's wWeek 2 of the season. Show me any coach in sports that says "Results don't matter, it's the process that counts". Sorry...it's a dumb perspective.

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Process my arse...the D overall played well against a very good offense. It's wWeek 2 of the season. Show me any coach in sports that says "Results don't matter, it's the process that counts". Sorry...it's a dumb perspective.
“Just win Baby.” This win is a much needed elixir that should right the ship and reinforce some confidence that we are on the right track. I have high hopes for this team, especially the secondary.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Waldron called a mostly great game, especially with two back up OT’s who surprisingly were great. K9 did what he could without any room, Geno was locked in besides that horrific sack, and Lockett came up huge all day.

Defense is atrocious for the most part, run D been a surprise. Love needs to be situational player, he somehow was worse in coverage today than last week. Spoon flashed playmaking which is something desperately needed on that unit but got caught on the fleaflicker for sure. Adams is hopefully a fire starter next week when he gets back, desperately need more talent on the field. Pass rush kinda woke up at end but Goff was still mostly unaffected.

Good win overall, 0-2 would have been tough.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Waldron called a mostly great game, especially with two back up OT’s who surprisingly were great. K9 did what he could without any room, Geno was locked in besides that horrific sack, and Lockett came up huge all day.

Defense is atrocious for the most part, run D been a surprise. Love needs to be situational player, he somehow was worse in coverage today than last week. Spoon flashed playmaking which is something desperately needed on that unit but got caught on the fleaflicker for sure. Adams is hopefully a fire starter next week when he gets back, desperately need more talent on the field. Pass rush kinda woke up at end but Goff was still mostly unaffected.

Good win overall, 0-2 would have been tough.
I’d be looking at Waldron’s and Geno’s bounce back performances if not for the disastrous final regulation series. Both made up for it in OT, spectacularly but in the most critical part of the game they made inexcusable errors. Can’t leave it up to a coin flip next time. Left a little bit of a bitter aftertaste on a good win. But it was a win so I’ll take it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's not its just the drumbeat
I think that’s a little unfair. They gave up 30+ points. I don’t think anyone would argue that’s good? The Lions also lost their starting running back and their all pro receiver for portions of the game. They did get some stops at crucial times but I think overall even Pete would say that wasn’t a great effort or even adequate.

LTH

Reaction score
I would disagree with that assessment, I think the pass rush and the coverage work together. If the coverage is great it gives the pass rush more time to get home. I think that Goff gets the ball out really quickly and because of this it makes it hard for the pass rush to get to him. I think the coverage is going to get better I noticed that Bryant and Brown were getting picked on in the last two games... they are getting better but the more they play the more the D is going to tighten up. Yes there needs to be better pass rush but they do work hand in hand.

LTH

LTH

Reaction score

My concern is process.

And that brief series where they were pressure based in the 2nd half only proves, I am correct.

They need to trashcan the shell coverage, show pressure, bring pressure, and play more man behind it.
Yeah and if the D didn't stop the Lions 2 times on 4th down, get a pick 6 and 3 turnovers and 2 sacks the game would have been drastically different. Where you lose me is you don't give credit where credit is due. It's a process everything works together... it takes time to fall into the scheme. Be patient... it doesn't matter what happen in the last 5 years as you say what matters is what's happening NOW!

LTH

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Yeah and if the D didn't stop the Lions 2 times on 4th down, get a pick 6 and 3 turnovers and 2 sacks the game would have been drastically different. Where you lose me is you don't give credit where credit is due. It's a process everything works together... it takes time to fall into the scheme. Be patient... it doesn't matter what happen in the last 5 years as you say what matters is what's happening NOW!

LTH
Because there is an agenda. Statements have been made and the point of no return reached in thier mind. Normal, logical discussiions are out the window.

LTH

Reaction score
Because there is an agenda. Statements have been made and the point of no return reached in thier mind. Normal, logical discussiions are out the window.
He never responds to my REPLYS on his posts that must be the reason.

LTH

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I think that’s a little unfair. They gave up 30+ points. I don’t think anyone would argue that’s good? The Lions also lost their starting running back and their all pro receiver for portions of the game. They did get some stops at crucial times but I think overall even Pete would say that wasn’t a great effort or even adequate.
Why is it unfair? The D came through when they needed to and contributed immensley to the win, including adding 7 points to our score. 3 turnovers and 2 4th down stops. The D can build on this game. Certainly a different team than the one I expected to show up. Proud of those guys!!!

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

My concern is process.

I want to see Adams and Witherspoon playing at 100%. That would allow the Seahawks to effectively do what you’re talking about.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Why is it unfair? The D came through when they needed to and contributed immensley to the win, including adding 7 points to our score. 3 turnovers and 2 4th down stops. The D can build on this game. Certainly a different team than the one I expected to show up. Proud of those guys!!!
I think it’s unfair to say they played great when you gave up 30+ points and they didn’t have two of their best offensive players for large portions of the game. You can still be proud for the stops when they needed them. I think both can be right and I would bet Pete would say the same. Goff was Uber efficient most of the game too so something we can improve on. Hoping Witherspoon getting reps will help

Ozzy

Reaction score
I want to see Adams and Witherspoon playing at 100%. That would allow the Seahawks to effectively do what you’re talking about.
I’m excited to see what Witherspoon can do, he can definitely move the needle for the defense in a big way.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Our defense is completely built to win now. We are missing some depth but this personnel should be able to create havoc. That’s my expectation going in. I am worried about our schemes and adjustments which are on the coaches but skill wise this should be a great looking defense barring injuries.