The official "I hate Gonzaga Basketball" Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags lose to A&M, good start to my thanksgiving.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags about to lose at home to probably one of the weakest Arizona teams in a long time. Zags just aren't that good. Outside of the big 3 they have next to nothing.

It's okay though, it will be the same old story. They will run the table in that embarrassing conference, win their tournament, and then lose in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":y8oiq8md said:
Zags about to lose at home to probably one of the weakest Arizona teams in a long time. Zags just aren't that good. Outside of the big 3 they have next to nothing.

It's okay though, it will be the same old story. They will run the table in that embarrassing conference, win their tournament, and then lose in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.
With the G play they have, you're probably right. Very disappointing loss yesterday what with being at home and all.

BTW, Elite Eight last year , not the "same old story".

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah, guards have been huge disappointment so far. With out Karnowski playing with a 7 man rotation.

Lots of potential to be improved in time for March, but not there yet.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It's too bad Nigel Williams Goss wasn't eligible this year, because he would have made a huge difference. Without productive guard play, I think the Zags are very limited.

So far this season has been subpar to say the least. The Zags season really depends on their early success in the non-conference schedule. They really needed some of these big wins to secure a high seed in the NCAA tournament. It's not like they're going to build a resume playing their conference schedule. UCLA and SMU are their last chances at quality wins until the brackets are released. And I don't think a win vs UCLA will look all that great on their resume. IMO UCLA isn't a top 25 team even though they did beat Kentucky last week. I think if Zags run the table the rest of the season (which will still be hard to do), at best they can get is a 4 seed. And that might be a bit generous.

That loss to Zona was big. The Zags only get a few chances, and they blew that one.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Haha this thread is holding true to form. Zags really do suck. Unless they can beat SMU on the road, they will only have one quality win on their resume come March (beating UConn). Can you imagine how bad they will be next year without Karnowski, Wiltjer and most likely Sabonis? Looks like it will be time to rebuild starting next season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2ywx5qgh said:
Haha this thread is holding true to form. Zags really do suck. Unless they can beat SMU on the road, they will only have one quality win on their resume come March (beating UConn). Can you imagine how bad they will be next year without Karnowski, Wiltjer and most likely Sabonis? Looks like it will be time to rebuild starting next season.
Afraid you're right. But wouldn't that win over UW be considered a quality win? :stirthepot:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2v8sofzj said:
Hawk-Lock":2v8sofzj said:
Afraid you're right. But wouldn't that win over UW be considered a quality win? :stirthepot:

Most likely not. Once conference play starts UW will likely falter. I'd be shocked if they made the tourney this year. They are still 1-2 years away form being taken seriously.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1w13s69k said:
Gonzaga officially sucks.

I'm a born and bred Husky fan but my wife went to Gonzaga... It's been fun to consistently root for a team in March.

Spokane is a lot like a west side city. Hell, places outside of the Seattle metropolitan area on the west side are as Idaohian as the east.

Watched the Huskies get blown out on Thursday in Arizona. Our program is screwed. I like Romar, but we need a new approach to recruiting since the California schools just eat up our top recruits and recruiting is so much different than it was just 10 years ago. It used to be easy to bring local guys here, but it's just not anymore.

Tical21

Reaction score
SonicHawk":4v3khn9f said:
Trenchbroom":4v3khn9f said:

I'm a born and bred Husky fan but my wife went to Gonzaga... It's been fun to consistently root for a team in March.

Spokane is a lot like a west side city. Hell, places outside of the Seattle metropolitan area on the west side are as Idaohian as the east.

Watched the Huskies get blown out on Thursday in Arizona. Our program is screwed. I like Romar, but we need a new approach to recruiting since the California schools just eat up our top recruits and recruiting is so much different than it was just 10 years ago. It used to be easy to bring local guys here, but it's just not anymore.
Ummmmm. Hmmmmmm. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Wellllllllll. What?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SonicHawk":opg7c4oh said:
Trenchbroom":opg7c4oh said:

You must not be paying attention very well. UW is tied for fist place in the Pac12 and has a really bright future. You can hate Romar all you want, but he has UW going in the right direction.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":186ojz89 said:
Incorrect. Beat UW and took AZ to the wire and that's 2 of the Pac's top teams. Are they going to be an Elite Eight team like last year? No. But they're a top 4 Pac team if they're in that conference despite all you wet siders not wanting anything nice for the other side of the mtns.

SonicHawk":186ojz89 said:
I'm a born and bred Husky fan but my wife went to Gonzaga... It's been fun to consistently root for a team in March...........
Yes, nice that you've had someone from the Northwest to root for in March.

I'll say it again, if the success Gonzaga has enjoyed and worked for over the last 20+ years was instead the other Jesuit school in the state, Seattle U., all you wet siders would be all over how awesome they are. But since a Spokane school you won't give 'em squat for credit. How provincial.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":hm8axadg said:
You must not be paying attention very well. UW is tied for fist place in the Pac12 and has a really bright future. You can hate Romar all you want, but he has UW going in the right direction.

We were also ranked last year about 12 games into the season. That didn't work out either.

They aren't going in the right direction, they are just continuing in the average direction.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SonicHawk":yq0ctns6 said:
Hawk-Lock":yq0ctns6 said:

We were also ranked last year about 12 games into the season. That didn't work out either.

They aren't going in the right direction, they are just continuing in the average direction.

It isn't the same. The past few years have been awful for the program, but Romar has gotten us back on track. We have a top 10 recruit coming in next year, the highest ever in the Romar era. Higher than Brockman, Hawes, Brandon Roy, etc. Assuming Murray doesn't declare for the draft after this year (I doubt he will), then there is a good chance we will have two NBA loterry picks playing on our team next year. Just click the link below (pick #7 & #9)....

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft