The power spread offense?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":24lxuptz said:
I think if we can gain yards and score points in power, then we'll run a lot of power. Of course, it's nice to have an option to motion your TE or RB, but those concepts have existed since day 1 with Lynch and Zach. Marshawn was a very skilled receiver. Zach was a plodder, but he was game-athletic and had soft hands.

Vannett strikes me as a Zach Miller prototype; Procise is here to replace Marshawn's receiving and Pete's always been a fan of dynamic RB/WR hybrids (see: Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin, even Golden Tate to an extent). Not sure this signals a new era of Chip Kelly football. These two prospects fit within types that Pete has liked in the past.

That's said, it's nice to have options. Our protection, our lack thereof, may force our hand once again.

But make no mistake, this draft was a lot about getting our bully-swagger back. That's power football.
Pete likes to pass believe it but he isn't Chip Kelly and understands control of the time clock. But never fool yourself if Pete has the weapons he'd totally go with a pass heavy offense if that's where the talent lies.

He'd prefer balance where Wilson is passing 30-35 passes minimum a game even though he and every NFL fan knows he could be the actual fulcrum of the offense. Pete needs a year or two more to accept what the offense will be if he actually let's Wilson do his thing.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3og2yhp0 said:
But never fool yourself if Pete has the weapons he'd totally go with a pass heavy offense if that's where the talent lies.

I have to disagree. I don't see any historical basis for that. Everything he's ever done for this offense has been about the run game in one way or the other, even the selection of Wilson himself who was also desirable for his ability to run.

We just spent five picks on a 1st round road grader, a second-level blocking TE and three (three!) running backs. There is no design here of going pass-heavy. It's run or bust with Pete. He will not be pushed around again like he was in Carolina.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17k4vvq6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":17k4vvq6 said:
But never fool yourself if Pete has the weapons he'd totally go with a pass heavy offense if that's where the talent lies.

I have to disagree. I don't see any historical basis for that. Everything he's ever done for this offense has been about the run game in one way or the other, even the selection of Wilson himself who was also desirable for his ability to run.

We just spent five picks on a 1st round road 66grader, a second-level blocking TE and three (three!) running backs. There is no design here of going pass-heavy. It's run or bust with Pete. He will not be pushed around again like he was in Carolina.
I need to clarify, he desires balance but if the situation dictates he will go for it. As it is we finally have Wilson pretty much at the correct level (30-35) passes a game. That's at the very edge of a passing offens

I know you prefer 3 yards and a cloud of dust but it's not going to happen. So sit back and relax like myself and watch how an elite quarterback changes a fanbase and a franchise.

Remember I grew up in the Bay Area when Joe Montana totally changed the 49ers into a national franchise just like Brady and New England 10 years later.

It really is all about who your quarterback is. Since we actually have a decent one. I'd say relax while you watch and learn especially in the case of John Elway. His hate is deep and he traded up for a crap quarterback with us......think on it for a minute young padawan. I'm sure you will get who got who on that deal, like usual.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3hbg4i8e said:
DavidSeven":3hbg4i8e said:
MizzouHawkGal":3hbg4i8e said:

We just spent five picks on a 1st round road 66grader, a second-level blocking TE and three (three!) running backs. There is no design here of going pass-heavy. It's run or bust with Pete. He will not be pushed around again like he was in Carolina.
I need to clarify, he desires balance but if the situation dictates he will go for it. As it is we finally have Wilson pretty much at the correct level (30-35) passes a game. That's at the very edge of a passing offens

I know you prefer 3 yards and a cloud of dust but it's not going to happen. So sit back and relax like myself and watch how an elite quarterback changes a fanbase and a franchise.

Remember I grew up in the Bay Area when Joe Montana totally changed the 49ers into a national franchise just like Brady and New England 10 years later.

It really is all about who your quarterback is. Since we actually have a decent one. I'd say relax while you watch and learn especially in the case of John Elway. His hate is deep and he traded up for a crap quarterback with us......think on it for a minute young padawan. I'm sure you will get who got who on that deal, like usual.

yabal

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1vxxjnat said:
DavidSeven":1vxxjnat said:
MizzouHawkGal":1vxxjnat said:

Seriously, what in the world does this have to do with the OP?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1w9158g2 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1w9158g2 said:
DavidSeven":1w9158g2 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1w9158g2 said:

Seriously, what in the world does this have to do with the OP?
You will figure it out soon enough. Just have faith and accept change.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1gk9eytp said:
MizzouHawkGal":1gk9eytp said:

We just spent five picks on a 1st round road grader, a second-level blocking TE and three (three!) running backs. There is no design here of going pass-heavy. It's run or bust with Pete. He will not be pushed around again like he was in Carolina.
I don't think the design is to be pass heavy either. I think the design is to have versatile personnel who can get the defenses to commit to the run or pass on a play by play basis, then shift formation and hit them where they ain't, within the confines of down and distance. A committment to run or pass is immaterial in my mind. The Carolina game you mention, first there was a commitment to the run in that game, it just blew up in their faces, and this new group of draftees and free agents will still get pushed around by the Carolina front. Carolina spends and spends, both draft and cash, on the front 7. We save and save, on the O-line. Webb, Sowell, whoever our center is, Ifedi...They are not pushing that Carolina front around in 2016 any more than they did in 2015.
If Pete is stubborn enough to say run or bust vs Carolina, he will have the same result. The run game will always be a big part of what we do, but it has to be. How can an offense be versatile if it isn't good at either the run or the pass?

I guess my point is that being run first, or pass first, as a team philosophy, is far from what they want. Versatile? Hell yes.

hawk45

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3tn0gd20 said:
Prosise and Vannett are players who could line up in a spread, and motion to a power formation. Or line up power, and motion to a spread to get matchups on linebackers. Instant advantage offense.

Graham is not a legit blocker, he does not create a mismatch by motioning from spread to off tackle, and while Vannett is hardly the downfield threat that Graham is, he does have good hands, and won't whiff on screen blocks for WRs. Rawls is not an ex WR, so motioning him out wide does not really stress the defense. But Prosise? He can motion from tailback to WR or slot, and now some linebacker is boned.

I expect that to be part of our offensive identity by 2017. I expect 2016 to see the slow integration of more of those principles.

This switching from power to spread and vice versa seems like such a foolproof way to gain an advantage I'm instantly terrified Bevell is going find a way to turn it into a fatal flaw that sucks the entire offense into its black hole.

I find myself wishing every offseason that they absolutely do NOT acquire any game changers on the offensive side of the ball so that we avoid Bevell designing something new or adapting. My fear of Bevell outweighs the (admittedly large) excitement I get envisioning some poor LB trying to stay with Prosise. Prosise out in space would be a nightmare, if I were an LB I'd just sit down on the field in protest.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
pehawk":2ovq2r95 said:
Hopefully Varnett can seal the edge like Zach used to. When Zach left so did the Seahawks preference to run stretch outside.

G'damn that'll be huge if it works.
Vannett

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":31l7mymj said:
MizzouHawkGal":31l7mymj said:
DavidSeven":31l7mymj said:
MizzouHawkGal":31l7mymj said:

What?
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

Stone Cold

Reaction score
I was just watching Prosise highlights and immediately thought of Dion Lewis and the threat he provided New England before his injury. And if you remember in the AFC championship game Lewis's replacement (James White?) dropped a number of touchdown opportunities in the 4th Qtr that would have probably won the game for NE with the way Manning was playing to close the game.

This player type can be seen as a luxury, and maybe the value isn't great in the 3rd, but if he can provide a similar impact to a Dion Lewis or Shane Vereen you'd probably have to say the pick was a success. And I'm excited to see if he can.