The Seahawks need to let Irvin go.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Omahawk":2ux2vn7j said:
Sure. Let him go. I'm indifferent about it. Send him off in a cab with Marshawn, Jimmy and Chancellor. Then use that money to buy a new offensive line. The solution is right there. You're welcome.
I agree with about half of that. I would give resigning Irvin a shot, if he wants too much then let him go. I love Marshawn but bringing him back makes zero sense. I would definitely bring Kam back if he honors his contract and shows up at the beginning of the season. As for Jimmy Graham, I can't believe all the people who want to get rid of him. We were down to TE's like Helfelt and Coffman at the end of the year and even took a shot with McCoy again. Maybe Graham isn't much of a blocker but that is why some people are blocking TE's and some aren't. He had never been asked to do this in his career yet we expect him to be great at it immediately. Some fans act like he was such a disappointment, that disappointment was our leading receiver when he was injured. He also had 8 catches for 140 yds against Carolina the 1st game, I think that might have helped the 2nd game. There is also a belief that our offense took off because of his injury, the offense took off because it was changed. Graham was having a great game when he was injured. He would have only enhanced the offense and I can't wait to see Wilson throwing to him next year once we actually turn the reigns over to him. His contract is not that unreasonable and the combination of Graham and Willson could be a great duo at TE. The one thing I hope to not see is Cooper Helfelt again.

Largent80

Reaction score
ctrcat":2ni4yrvk said:
I'm saying this now because I have no clue what will happen and so that my comment can hold some weight in objectivity.

But if the goal is to wipe the smile off Cam Newton's pearly whites and compete for HFA/the NFCC, the job will be significantly more difficult without Irvin IMO.

Even if he goes to Atlanta I doubt he'd be near the nuisance he has and could be with the Hawks.

VERY few players can be a hindrance to Cam's size and speed, and Irvin is one.

The ONLY person that cares about Newton is you around here. This thread is about Irvin not your man crush. One player does not a defense make, bye Irvin.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
kf3339":2p1yq9w7 said:
It is all well and good to think that Irvin is a LB we need to re-sign. He has done an above average job for us these last few years. But if this last season has proved anything it's that we need to allocate more money to out OL, which means some D players may need to go.

I see Irvin in that group that needs to leave and his spot filled by a draft pick. I also think you may see a trade for Kam which will net us some more cap room. While it may seem this will weaken the defense initially, I believe a beefed up experienced and veteran OL will more than make up for this with longer sustained drives. That will help our defense more than anything else.

Hope PC and company see this as well.
I couldn't agree more. :thirishdrinkers:

CANHawk

Reaction score
I love Bruce. He's super underrated. I hope they make him a fair offer (but don't break the bank). Hes a big part of what we do...

dogorama

Reaction score
Mixed feelings about him. One thing I do know is that we need more pressure on opposing QB's and losing one of the few we have may not be the wisest move. I think you have to know you can find better before you let him go but that also depends on what he is asking.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I love Bruce. Crazy athletic and versatile. Ive watched him cover OBJ and rush the passer. Great againt the run. I dont get the lack of love for him.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Subzero717":342b5pbv said:
I love Bruce. Crazy athletic and versatile. Ive watched him cover OBJ and rush the passer. Great againt the run. I dont get the lack of love for him.
Definitely no lack of love from me. Looking at the situation realistically, I doubt the Seahawks will be able to match what free agency demand will drive his price to. I think that's where most of us are at, so we're sorta moving on.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Largent80":iyo5h2us said:
ctrcat":iyo5h2us said:
I'm saying this now because I have no clue what will happen and so that my comment can hold some weight in objectivity.

But if the goal is to wipe the smile off Cam Newton's pearly whites and compete for HFA/the NFCC, the job will be significantly more difficult without Irvin IMO.

Even if he goes to Atlanta I doubt he'd be near the nuisance he has and could be with the Hawks.

VERY few players can be a hindrance to Cam's size and speed, and Irvin is one.

The ONLY person that cares about Newton is you around here. This thread is about Irvin not your man crush. One player does not a defense make, bye Irvin.

Irvin was a factor against Kaep (kept him from running) on "The Tip" and is one of very, very few players that can run down Cam. With Carolina emerging as our biggest obstacle in the NFC, we all should care about Newton.

Rob12

Reaction score
Subzero717":13tpgirt said:

Lack of love? I think that's a bit melodramatic.

We can't tie up $25-30M a season in our linebackers. It's that simple. Vinny Curry just got roughly $9.5M a season from the Eagles, and his resume isn't as impressive as Bruce Irvin's. Teams are paying pass rushers an insane premium these days, and that is what Irvin will be marketed as. He's gone, because we don't have the money to match a team that will overspend. It sucks, but it's the nature of the game and we should be used to it by now. Someone is going to give him anywhere from $6 to $8M a season and it's not going to be the Seahawks.

He's gone... It's not about a lack of love. When I hear complaints from Seahawks fans, Bruce Irvin has never really been one. But it's simple economics at this point.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think Bruce is going to go somewhere and light it up as a pass rusher. I don't know what it is, but he doesn't seem to have been used as a pass rusher in Seattle. He wasn't consistent, so he couldn't be used as the Leo and he had good players playing in front of him. I think he'll be considered "a good one that got away", if he ends up leaving. I could see Pete thinking Bruce is ready to take over at Leo and letting Avril go. That move would make paying Bruce possible.

Seymour

Reaction score
rideaducati":214r8omn said:
I think Bruce is going to go somewhere and light it up as a pass rusher. I don't know what it is, but he doesn't seem to have been used as a pass rusher in Seattle. He wasn't consistent, so he couldn't be used as the Leo and he had good players playing in front of him. I think he'll be considered "a good one that got away", if he ends up leaving. I could see Pete thinking Bruce is ready to take over at Leo and letting Avril go. That move would make paying Bruce possible.

Wow....really? Maybe you need to look 10 yards down the field behind the opposing QB where Bruce over runs the play and re-evaluate your statement. Also, they tried him at LEO and that experiment failed, so he is no longer worth the 1st round pick or the $ another (more desperate) team may give him.

SirTed

Reaction score
No idea what the $$ would be, but I think if we can make it happen reasonably with Bruce, we should think about it.

It is tough having all that money tied up in the LB's, but it's foolish to think that a rookie can come in a and consistently set and hold the edge on the strong side, oh, and come down to DE and rush the passer.

Not saying we can't find an option, or perhaps options to fill the hole in FA - maybe we can. But we're not talking about a plug and play situation here, IMO - as far as the draft is concerned.

Hawks46

Reaction score
firebee":2qbd0zhn said:
My gut feeling says Atlanta pays him to reunite with Quinn. Atlanta needs a hybrid LB / DE pretty bad and Irvin's a guy that would step in and make an immediate impact, knowing the defensive scheme that's already in play there. Not to mention... Atlanta is pretty close to home for him.

the Jags desperately need some pass rush as well. They're getting there on offense and Bradley could see Irvin as a good partner with the kid they got last year that blew out his ACL in the preseason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well Vinny Curry with the Eagles just signed a monster extension, so I don't think we have to worry about Irvin. Someone's going to overpay for him..........he's just too freak of an athlete with potential.

Mick063

Reaction score
Not worth a big contract.

Time to break out the SPARQ spreadsheet and sign a couple rookie free agents to dirt cheap contracts. Let them fight it out for the starting job. Spend the savings on a new left guard. Plan to let the option for Britt to expire. He went from right tackle to left guard to (I predict) out of the league.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Mick063":1a2f3e3y said:

Time to break out the SPARQ spreadsheet and sign a couple rookie free agents to dirt cheap contracts. Let them fight it out for the starting job. Spend the savings on a new left guard. Plan to let the option for Britt to expire. He went from right tackle to left guard to (I predict) out of the league.

What Britt option? He is signed through the 2017 season and would then be a UFA.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SauceTownHawk":jpua2pfm said:
What would it cost to franchise tag him?

The average of the top 5 at his position.. Linebacker is over $13 million.

crosfam

Reaction score
Mick063":vnd1gzes said:

At worse, Britt will be a back-up who dresses every week, for us or somebody else. Barring injury, he will be in the league through his second contract, however lucrative that will be. Decent to very good run blocker, a bit challenged in pass protection - just like 1/2 the lineman in the NFL. I do predict he will be our starter at G or RT next year (if Gilliam is moved to LT and we don't draft a RT early). And everybody on this board will go crazy :sarcasm_on:

Irvin - will be gone, and I congratulate him on the big contract. I just hope the Seahawks and Irvin take the high road and avoid any silly "disrespect" talk. It will be about economics, strategic planning, and the salary cap.

Rob12

Reaction score
Is KPL not thought of too highly? I think he could be a viable replacement for Bruce.