The team may be too young.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CANHawk":64871za1 said:
Love them to death, but Michael Robinson, red Bryant and Chris Clemons get WAY too much credit on this board...

For sure, you can see how this team's seamlessly transitioned after their exit with continuing to win and no locker room problems. :roll:

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mpqyd3m said:
CANHawk":3mpqyd3m said:
Love them to death, but Michael Robinson, red Bryant and Chris Clemons get WAY too much credit on this board...

For sure, you can see how this team's seamlessly transitioned after their exit with continuing to win and no locker room problems. :roll:

correlation /= causation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":2erasuf1 said:
Sgt. Largent":2erasuf1 said:
CANHawk":2erasuf1 said:

You guys are naive to think that missing these guys hasn't contributed to the locker room problems. Big Red and M-Rob were arguably the most well respected Hawks in the history of the franchise.........and when they spoke everyone listened.

Now we got guys like Russell, Sherm, ET and Doug trying to fill the void of leadership, and apparently it's not working so well.

Way too much credit? Nope, maybe not enough credit.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ph47waj said:
Cartire":2ph47waj said:
Sgt. Largent":2ph47waj said:
CANHawk":2ph47waj said:

You guys are naive to think that missing these guys hasn't contributed to the locker room problems. Big Red and M-Rob were arguably the most well respected Hawks in the history of the franchise.

Welp, that's my daily recommended allowance of hyperbole. :roll:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Those guys were in the lockerroom last year when Harvin supposedly bodyslammed Tate on his head. You lose a couple games by razor thin margins, and suddenly some national guys who don't even follow the team write sensationalist articles that get them airtime on TV. That is exactly why Seattle's press-room was more full this past week than it was for the NFCCG. Defending champs lose to the lowly Rams and the Sharks smell blood.

Not saying anything is true, not saying anything is false. Just don't buy into the media hype. The national guys have a "downfall" narrative to sell to the public. If they had been losing last year, then there would be some other factoid discovered or conjecture created for them to exploit.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't think the team is "too" young so to speak, I actually think we are on average a little older than last year, which just happens to be the year we did something slightly significant :thirishdrinkers: . I think because of injuries however, PLAYERS who are "too young" both age wise and team experience wise, are being forced to step up.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":zqqfmine said:
Those guys were in the lockerroom last year when Harvin supposedly bodyslammed Tate on his head. You lose a couple games by razor thin margins, and suddenly some national guys who don't even follow the team write sensationalist articles that get them airtime on TV. That is exactly why Seattle's press-room was more full this past week than it was for the NFCCG. Defending champs lose to the lowly Rams and the Sharks smell blood.

Not saying anything is true, not saying anything is false. Just don't buy into the media hype. The national guys have a "downfall" narrative to sell to the public. If they had been losing last year, then there would be some other factoid discovered or conjecture created for them to exploit.

You don't think teammates coming to blows night before super bowl and in preseason this year, off the field, isn't a story or rare? You think this is the press just reaching for a downfall narrative?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
pehawk":2hi0zx9g said:
DavidSeven":2hi0zx9g said:

You don't think teammates coming to blows night before super bowl and in preseason this year, off the field, isn't a story or rare? You think this is the press just reaching for a downfall narrative?

I think he is just trying to point out that it's the media's job to sell something as "important" and a "must read", whether or not it really is. Tate being body-slammed was definitely news to me and surprising, but in the grand scheme of things, players get in fights. It just happens, they get over it, sometimes the outside finds out, sometimes it stays in the locker room.

pehawk

Reaction score
I've heard 3 long time veteran players say they've never heard of fights off the field. Never. On the field, sure, but not carried into the lockerroom or media room.

And, I don't blame the media for doing their job.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":2qlbn7zk said:
DavidSeven":2qlbn7zk said:

Not saying it isn't rare or didn't happen. Just that these tangential things are only highlighted if they can push a "downfall" storyline, which can only be done if the team is losing. I believe Baldwin said that plenty of negative things could've been written about the team last year when they were winning and dominating the Super Bowl. For example, I, and several others, speculated last year that Percy's mystery hip recovery didn't pass the smell test, but that was largely ignored at the national level. That's why I reject the premise that "leadership" or lack thereof is a meaningul distinction between this season and last. The team was a few minor breaks from starting 3-3 last year, too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1bvlk5tc said:
Welp, that's my daily recommended allowance of hyperbole. :roll:

- "One man's hyperbole is another man's truth." - Carrot Top

pehawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, David.

Maybe I'm different, but I love the fact the Seahawks are relevant enough to merit positive or negative attention. 20 years ago they were so irrelevant this city let them move, so, I'm happy on a perverse level.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Players rally around great leaders.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/68Breno/status/439532875256303616[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRyan9/status/439577712810672129[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/439638334961647616[/tweet]

Said Bryant:

“Kam Chancellor is a tone-setter. K.J. Wright is a tone-setter. Mike Bennett is a tone-setter. Cliff Avril is a tone-setter. Clinton McDonald is a tone-setter. Chris Clemons is a tone-setter. And it embodies everything this team is all about. A bunch of misfits, that’s what they called us. A bunch of nobodies. Inexperienced. Ain’t never been there. Well, you see what misfits get you. You see what overachievers get you – 43-8 on the biggest stage in the world. What does that tell you about this team? Great defense, and great character on this team.”

I didn't like it, but I understand why they had to let Red go.

This is a different team now, and they will have to recapture the locker room chemistry and swag they had last year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Comes with the territory. I like the attention, too, but I like to put it in perspective. For me, it's not hard to believe Russell doesn't relate to everyone in the lockerroom. I'm sure the same was true last year when Clem, Red and M-Rob were there. It's also not hard to believe Aaron Rodgers is kind of a diva and viewed by teammates as a spotlight hog. That's just the nature of a workplace that has 100+ people and one guy who gets a lion's share of the attention. All this has nothing to do with anything, unless it actually does (which hasn't been proven to me).

I'm pretty confident that Brady (+ other players) and Belichick don't really see eye-to-eye either. They won a 'ship after Belichick callously dumped the locker-room's most popular player (Lawyer Milloy). The media was salivating to run with a downfall storyline immediately after that happened. They put their pens away when the Pats started winning again.

Same thing will happen in Seattle.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yrijg9n said:
If you mean by too young that we've lost some of the veteran leaders like Red, Clem and M-Rob that were the glue to keeping the locker room together, I agree.

We were the 2nd youngest team ever to win the SB, so it's not just an age issue...............it's an internal leadership issue.

If we want to keep this train rolling in the right direction, guys like Sherm, Russell, ET, Max, Kam, Doug, etc are going to have to do a better job of galvanizing the locker room. I think they're trying, but it hasn't been enough so far this year. Definitely see some discourse on this team right now.
I think that Percy Harvin had a disruptive influence, in that he was a malcontent and getting away with being an "Me First" player, and refusing to play when called upon, that goes against the "All In" mantra.
I believe that this kind of distraction erodes the positives and continuities that Pete has been trying to build into the team first mindset.
We still have Mebane, but of course it could very well be missing the influences that Big Red had with the Defensive Identity.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I suppose you are correct. I wonder how many of those vets might we have held on to were we not paying Percy Harvin's salary? Now that he is gone Is it too late to work a deal that brings back Big Red Bryant?

evergreen

Reaction score
We're really missing our depth that we couldn't or wouldn't afford to pay. The miss on Harvin will balance out the huge hits on all those late round stars we have. Yes it's too late to get it back. We haven't spent all our cap space so there's some $$ that could've been spent this year while the window was so open. Maybe that's JS's plan a step back and then two steps forward. With all our key personnel we could be right back in it next year and so on.

But seriously, how much do you miss Golden Tate returning punts? Do you remember him winning games by running the punt out of the endzone. You think that's gonna happen this year? No Tate, no Rice, No 1st round pick, No $$ for DL depth, and no Harvin. Ouch. That trade could cost us a Super Bowl.

The real void on D is the loss of Chris Clemmons, he's been our best pass rusher for years. He's a big reason Avril and Bennett did so well. We couldn't afford them all but a few would make a huge difference.

So, now we're just one of the pack with a ton of injuries and a penchant for historical losses.

@ SanDiego-1st score on opening drive since 2012, 1st loss by more than one score since RW. Plus Bennett almost swiped that ball out of Rivers hand then he throws game winner to Gates.

vs. Dallas-3rd and 21 at home late in 4th Quarter against the LOB are you kidding me? Who is #35 anyway?

@ St. Louis a fake punt in the 4th while ahead from the punter standing on the goal line? Only happened once-and it was to us! Plus that weird fake punt return that No one's ever seen before.

So either the wheels are coming off or we're just having a bit of bad luck. We'll have to wait to really find out.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If not for some utterly bone-headed in-game coaching, I have no doubt this team would have beaten St. Louis. 4-2 sounds a lot better.

I'm not ready to say that the Harvin thing has segmented the team a whole lot (it threatened to, no doubt), or that the presence of Clem, Red, and MRob would have drastically changed the outcome.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Not age IMO. It's injuries and some of the young guys they counted in not stepping up. Not one DL pick has really panned out.

Scruggs was expected to help out and he was cut once already. Irvin has not taken the next step.

The OL is like it has been pretty much as always. Not very good. Penalties missed blocks etc.

The team still is not in sync and for whatever reason is not as cohesive as in the last couple years. The harvin effect ... Maybe