There goes our run game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Sweezy's block on that GIF. He slowed his guy down. Play was a gain. And as pointed out, If Lynch follows the FB, the play is a bigger gain.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1awimejf said:
Nothing wrong with Sweezy's block on that GIF. He slowed his guy down. Play was a gain. And as pointed out, If Lynch follows the FB, the play is a bigger gain.

Not saying you're wrong, but you really need a Mrs. Sweezy tag.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2j2t8cs6 said:

In the wide zone, or stretch, it's not about just slowing the backside down, you want them on the ground. The whole reason for the 1 cut and go is the timing and speed required on that cut to blow by that backside cut while the defender is getting off the ground. If they eliminate that 1 on 1 cut it will be much more difficult to hit that backside run (but I don't think this rule does that). Also, I'm saying backside here but the reality is that there is so much horizontal movement at LOS, that cut is basically an Off Tackle run in relation to original alignment.

The 7 tech EMOL (end man on line) played outside contain. That's the FB and HB first read (if EMOL helmet is inside tackle/TE bounce, if outside change course to G/T gap). RB's eyes go to the Guard immediately as the running back changes course from aiming at TE's outside hip. Depending on which way the G's hips declare the hole, RB runs inside or outside that block. If the DT gets washed out, Marshawn would have been right on this run.

In any case, I can't think of a MIKE call where the Playside Guard would be cutting the backside LB. He should initially looked for playside DT body to combo with the tackle and then moved to the Playside LB and NOT cut him but instead man him up and either run him into the pile of bodies wide or seal him. If that playside DT instead pinched hard, Sweezy would have stayed with him and the Playside Tackle instead would have slid to the Playside LB.

The guy that should have been responsible for the backside cut block is the backside tackle. Notice how #68 blocks nobody and is kind of like WT?! Sweezy blocked his guy instead of staying on his feet with the playside backer. That's why #75 grabs #68 subtly as he releases, to stop that pursuit backside cut block. It's infuriating that the refs don't call that Defensive Holding penalty more but it is what it is.

The more I watch film, and admittedly, this particular play is tough, because it's a GIF that starts after snap with no pause and no other angles, the more I believe our linemen don't suck physically, we just end up being assignment wrong way too often.

Further, from what I've watched from last year so far, Rawls reads these plays WAY better than Marshawn. Isn't that exciting.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":119ns3ok said:
Scottemojo":119ns3ok said:

In the wide zone, or stretch, it's not about just slowing the backside down, you want them on the ground. The whole reason for the 1 cut and go is the timing and speed required on that cut to blow by that backside cut while the defender is getting off the ground. If they eliminate that 1 on 1 cut it will be much more difficult to hit that backside run (but I don't think this rule does that). Also, I'm saying backside here but the reality is that there is so much horizontal movement at LOS, that cut is basically an Off Tackle run in relation to original alignment.

The 7 tech EMOL (end man on line) played outside contain. That's the FB and HB first read (if EMOL helmet is inside tackle/TE bounce, if outside change course to G/T gap). RB's eyes go to the Guard immediately as the running back changes course from aiming at TE's outside hip. Depending on which way the G's hips declare the hole, RB runs inside or outside that block. If the DT gets washed out, Marshawn would have been right on this run.

In any case, I can't think of a MIKE call where the Playside Guard would be cutting the backside LB. He should initially looked for DT body to combo with the tackle and then moved to the Playside LB and NOT cut him but instead man him up and either run him into the pile of bodies wide or sealed.

The guy that should have been responsible for the backside cut block is the backside tackle. Notice how #68 blocks nobody and is kind of like WT?! Sweezy blocked his guy instead of staying on his feet with the playside backer. That's why #75 grabs #68 subtly as he releases, to stop that pursuit backside cut block. It's infuriating that the refs don't call that Defensive Holding penalty more but it is what it is.

Wow. Every once in a while .net shocks me with its knowledge.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":2x5zexwo said:
Scottemojo":2x5zexwo said:

In any case, I can't think of a MIKE call where the Playside Guard would be cutting the backside LB. He should initially looked for playside DT body to combo with the tackle and then moved to the Playside LB and NOT cut him but instead man him up and either run him into the pile of bodies wide or seal him. If that playside DT instead pinched hard, Sweezy would have stayed with him and the Playside Tackle instead would have slid to the Playside LB.

The more I watch film, and admittedly, this particular play is tough, because it's a GIF that starts after snap with no pause and no other angles, the more I believe our linemen don't suck physically, we just end up being assignment wrong way too often.

Further, from what I've watched from last year so far, Rawls reads these plays WAY better than Marshawn. Isn't that exciting.

l9BPj34.gif

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2016":21s0u4c4 said:
Sgt Largent":21s0u4c4 said:
Scottemojo":21s0u4c4 said:

l9BPj34.gif

Yep, nobody blocked the MIKE on this play. Coaches don't design too many runs where the MIKE is completely unblocked (none) so this is either some ISO variant where there is no read and the FB ISOs the MIKE inside and he (FB) is wrong, or Sweezy is wrong. I pick the latter as most likely.

Edit..Edit..Edit..Ok...sigh, I can't see the #s of the Center and Backside Guard. But the one on his face in front of #54...The Center....Yeah that one...he's wrong. Maybe #60, if so, that is Unger and I didn't expect that :lol:

Knowing this now, after getting a headache trying to watch this on repeating GIFs, Unger may have called 54 as the MIKE and Britt didn't pick up the call and went for the same guy (Unger may have felt Britt couldn't get there). In that case the FB would pick up the Fill in the read hole but Marshawn didn't trust the FB and went off script.

Still don't like that line call, I'd want #91 or whatever as the MIKE and that leaves my FB free as a lead searcher.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":2pe8rfn1 said:
hawknation2016":2pe8rfn1 said:
Sgt Largent":2pe8rfn1 said:
Scottemojo":2pe8rfn1 said:

l9BPj34.gif

Yep, nobody blocked the MIKE on this play. Coaches don't design too many runs where the MIKE is completely unblocked (none) so this is either some ISO variant where there is no read and the FB ISOs the MIKE inside and he (FB) is wrong, or Sweezy is wrong. I pick the latter as most likely.

Edit..Edit..Edit..Ok...sigh, I can't see the #s of the Center and Backside Guard. But the one on his face in front of #54...The Center....Yeah that one...he's wrong. Maybe #60, if so, that is Unger and I didn't expect that :lol:

Unger had a pretty terrible game in the Super Bowl. Collins got the better of him a few times, forcing Lynch to cutback.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":120euaj3 said:
Sgt Largent":120euaj3 said:
Scottemojo":120euaj3 said:

In any case, I can't think of a MIKE call where the Playside Guard would be cutting the backside LB. He should initially looked for DT body to combo with the tackle and then moved to the Playside LB and NOT cut him but instead man him up and either run him into the pile of bodies wide or sealed.

LOL nevermind that I couldn't even figure out who the Center was for 3 posts :?

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":8i89txjp said:
McGruff":8i89txjp said:
Sgt Largent":8i89txjp said:
Scottemojo":8i89txjp said:

LOL nevermind that I couldn't even figure out who the Center was for 3 posts :?

I was doing the same thing from the backside angle. Trying to figue out who was Sweezy and who was the center, and which of the 3 bodies rolling on the ground did good and which didn't. Its hard to read a GIF.

sc85sis

Reaction score
GIFs don't allow any time for your brain to process what you're seeing--who's where--before the action starts. And when the action is rolling it's so fast that it can be impossible to distinguish people without that initial frame of reference.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tom Cable was a horrible coach that cost the Seahawks 3-4 wins every season. No matter what "style" of blocking he picked it would have failed because of his non-coaching.

Jville

Reaction score
I get where this is coming from ..........

Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

Rule 7: A tactic that drags on for too long becomes a drag. Commitment may become Ritualistic as people turn to other issues.

....... rules attributed to S.D.A.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":2gqy116w said:

Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

Rule 7: A tactic that drags on for too long becomes a drag. Commitment may become Ritualistic as people turn to other issues.

So, Jville. . . I'm having trouble following (forgive my slowness here). I'm assuming that quoting Alinsky (this is the SDA you mean, right? . . . and not some rules regarding sexual displays of affection or from the seventh-day christian people) has some bearing on the discussion; but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

Jville

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1q1v2cpd said:
Jville":1q1v2cpd said:

So, Jville. . . I'm having trouble following (forgive my slowness here). I'm assuming that quoting Alinsky (this is the SDA you mean, right? . . . and not some rules regarding sexual displays of affection or from the seventh-day christian people) has some bearing on the discussion; but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

Your all over it ..... Saul David Alinsky is correct ...... although referencing such a source might brush up against forum etiquette.

OP
OP
Mick063

Mick063

Reaction score
Jville":a9pbjw3m said:

Not intellectually intimidated in the slightest. There is an old saying: "Know your audience". The most effective speakers/writers attempt to connect. Want to be clearly understood. Those that attempt to communicate at a level beyond median audience comprehension are merely caught up in self perceived superiority.

Jville

Reaction score
Mick063":2mpjvsow said:
Jville":2mpjvsow said:

Not intellectually intimidated in the slightest. There is an old saying: "Know your audience". The most effective speakers/writers attempt to connect. Want to be clearly understood. Those that attempt to communicate at a level beyond median audience comprehension are merely caught up in self perceived superiority.

Rule 2 : Never go outside the experience of your people. The result is confusion, fear, and retreat.

....... my condolences to anyone who finds the reading of rules credited to a third party as intellectually intimidating. I really think we are all much stronger than that. Although, I can fully appreciate frustration with the continuing chaos Alinsky's rules bring to discourse ..... all the more reason to expose it's use.