This feels like PCs end at USC

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2k3vjyax said:
This is on Pete, plain and simple.

Our talent hasn't changed, we're not crippled with any major injuries, our scheme hasn't changed. Yet it's now 10 weeks into the season and we're seeing the same undisciplined team making stupid mistakes, penalties and breakdowns on BOTH sides of the ball.

That my friends is coaching.

Pete's laissez faire style of coaching is starting to work against this team.

I'd also add in his continued stubbornness to wait until deep into 2nd halves to change the way the game's going. For 3 quarters all we did is rush 4, and watch Palmer pick apart our soft ass zone. For 3 quarters we continued to run the ball unsuccessfully with slow tempo.

Pete for all his attributes, and there are many is one of the most stubborn coaches I've ever seen. Pride, ego, I don't know what it is, but he absolutely REFUSES to change his schemes and in game tactics until sometimes it's too late......and for 5 losses this year, it's been too late.

This is so very true. Many on this board don't want to admit it, but your observation is right on in my book.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1gxq59ok said:
Mtjhoyas":1gxq59ok said:
This has been the least fun I've ever had as a Seahawks fan. We've had far worse records in the past, but it's hard to stomach this W-L record with the type of talent and expectations we have. It's beyond frustrating. I will always be a fan, but I gotta say; turning on the games on Sunday is an act of "well...I guess I'm gonna go through this again."

I can't speak for you, but I had way less fun watching the Hawks getting blown out every week in Holmgren's last year and Mora's only year. I'll take a disappointing competitive team like this over those teams any day of the week.

This is true, but it is also true that I found some of the awful 90's teams far more entertaining than this one this year. I really don't think I would feel any different if they had managed to win a few of the losses because I have walked away from several of the wins feeling not very entertained.

firebee

Reaction score
bighawk":33fyjm0d said:
This is why they call it overreaction Monday. No defense will dominate being on the field for almost 40 minutes the offense must do its job and play smash mouth football I thought the defense played great except for Sherman trying to jump a route on Floyd. The offense isn't carrying its share of the load and I blame Cable for trying to convert guys into lineman and Bevell for his predictable play calling. Changes needs to be made.

Predictable??? We're well beyond predictable... His playcalling is just flat out moronic. He's a clown and the Seattle FO needs to stop letting him turn our offense into his circus.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkFan72":21e2hdao said:
Mtjhoyas":21e2hdao said:
This has been the least fun I've ever had as a Seahawks fan. We've had far worse records in the past, but it's hard to stomach this W-L record with the type of talent and expectations we have. It's beyond frustrating. I will always be a fan, but I gotta say; turning on the games on Sunday is an act of "well...I guess I'm gonna go through this again."

I can't speak for you, but I had way less fun watching the Hawks getting blown out every week in Holmgren's last year and Mora's only year. I'll take a disappointing competitive team like this over those teams any day of the week.

You just described an 8-8 team that stays there for a decade.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Meh, disagree.

This far from the least amount of fun I've had as a Hawks fan though it sure ranks as amongst the most extremely frustrating to watch even though the the team almost gets there but loses those close games when they won them over the past few years.

The team is generally quite talented but has some key issues that are not seemingly ever being fixed. the 4th Q offensive struggles continue, the D is letting opponents come back at the end of games, the Oline is awful, the offence simplistic and ineffective when important, the penalties continue at a numbing rate.

This feels nothing like the end of Pete at USC, but it feels as if there is a factor missing on both sides of the ball.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
It does seem similar, I have to agree. It's just frustrating seeing how close we are in EVERY game only to come up short. The killer instinct is missing, the passion does not seem to be there anymore. It's almost as if they need a losing season just so they can be the underdogs again so they can have more to play for.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't really see the connection at all. The O-Line is far from stacked.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1gnrr32l said:
This feels eerily similar to PC's run at USC. By the end of his tenure, USC still had major talent, but just wasn't a very good "team." This feels so similar to that. We have all-world talent, but there's no magic, no spark. It's palpable.

I am probably stating the obvious, but I think there is major dysfunction happening under the surface with this team. I've always loved RW, but I think he has lost the team. He has certainly lost his ability as a QB. He was Peter Pan for his first 3 years. Unfortunately, the pixie dust has worn off and he has refused to become an adult (pocket QB). This is total speculation, but it just "feels" like he has nobody backing him in the locker room (not laying blame anywhere). I'm not terribly sure how this gets resolved/fixed.

Not sure what else to say; if this trend continues, I gotta say I won't be shocked to see PC bail. I really do believe there is severe dysfunction happening behind the scenes. It's the only way I can explain how a team this talented can be so consistently bad.

Major changes need to happen in the Offseason...

I think we need to trade Jimmy Graham (not fault of his own). His stats will end up fine on the year, but it just feels all too forced. He had some major drops yesterday that really killed us. Considering his non-value in the blocking game, he can't have multiple drops like that.

I think Cable/Bevell need to be canned. I read a great analogy, Tom Cable is the Rob Ryan of offensive line coaches. The hype doesn't match the results.

We need to draft a QB in the mid rounds. Mainly as a "get your shit together, RW." The trend is very troubling. I would like to think the dysfunction on the OL has been the biggest impact, but I don't think I want to wait around to find out.

We need to draft OL and acquire a blocking TE. This should need no explanation. The OL is beyond pathetic. The penalties are just a killer.

I tweeted this to Davis Hsu yesterday. As an ND fan, I loathed Pete while he was at USC but they were pretty amazing. Nothing pleased me more than witnessing the fall of "Troy." Pete had so much talent, but it crumbled underneath him for various reasons. I too think there are some similarities here. We had a shot to win back to back Owls, but couldn't get it done. I think the next few games will tell the tale. We may or may not make the playoffs, but we will learn a lot about how Pete handles the adversity, after much success. I hope he is able to learn from the past this time around....

acbass

Reaction score
I've thought this same thing. I watched Trojan Wars recently and saw some strikingly similarities. The game against Texas seemed to steal that teams soul. Very much in the same way im starting to think the Super Bowl did the same thing. This season is so weird. They have all the talent in the world but something just seems to be off. Maybe it's just they lost their "mojo" so to speak.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jv8fwiy said:
HawkFan72":1jv8fwiy said:
Mtjhoyas":1jv8fwiy said:

You just described an 8-8 team that stays there for a decade.

or the Patriots since Brady... but yeah.

AVL

Reaction score
Speculation about this team is seldom accurate.

I'm holding on to that, even tough a lot of negative weird sh!t has happened.