Thoughts after re watching

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2womo2in said:
Blitzer88":2womo2in said:
After thinking it over, the best play for Russell at the end was to spike it as you said. Would had at least 20 seconds on the clock, plenty of time to pick up another 10 yards or so and another spike to set up a tying FG.........
LOL, You mean a Chance for ANOTHER wide Left miss by Walsh?

I was also hoping for a spike, but to be consistent on my criticism Russell didn't spike it last week and it led to an easy Graham TD to win the game.

BUT, that was also a day when the offense was rolling and clicking. They were anything from that yesterday, so maybe spiking would have been a better idea seeing as the offense couldn't get out of it's own way all day yesterday.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ckyb5du said:
scutterhawk":3ckyb5du said:
Blitzer88":3ckyb5du said:
After thinking it over, the best play for Russell at the end was to spike it as you said. Would had at least 20 seconds on the clock, plenty of time to pick up another 10 yards or so and another spike to set up a tying FG.........

I was also hoping for a spike, but to be consistent on my criticism Russell didn't spike it last week and it led to an easy Graham TD to win the game.

BUT, that was also a day when the offense was rolling and clicking. They were anything from that yesterday, so maybe spiking would have been a better idea seeing as the offense couldn't get out of it's own way all day yesterday.

I understand the not spiking it thing, because I didn't expect them to spike the ball there. They flat out said that they would rather get a play off instead of spiking the ball. Said that's how they practice it and that's how they do it in game situations. That's great when people aren't necessarily expecting it, but when you tell people that's what you do every time, then they are going to game plan for it. Without any surprise element, sometimes you just need to spike the ball.

Of course, so many things went wrong all game long, that I can't blame any singular moment or person for this one. It was a team effort losing this game.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":nybbm9i7 said:
There was a lot wrong with the game yesterday in no order
oline
penalties
ST
Kicker
QB
Defense when we need it most
Coaching
play calling'play desing
run game
Wrs

This was a total team loss no player or phase of the game is immune to it

This was my feeling as well. There were so many different opportunities that we had to all fail on (some repeatedly) for this loss to come to fruitiion. We really misfired on so many. And truth be told, we got lucky on a lot of mistakes that could have made the outcome much worse.

Execution really killed this game. We misfired terribly all game long. If defense holds a late lead, we win. If offense can manage scores in the first three quarters we win. If special teams doesn't cost us 9 points we win. It seemed a confluence of multiple failures was required to make this game a loss and we saw it all on display.

Not a sexy answer. Not a 'fix one thing and we are whole' kind of answer. We just barfed up a terrible game across the board. Easily our worst game of the season. It happens though and we'll move on from it.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I couldn't figure why Russ kept running to the right. Brown was doing a good job protecting his blind side but it seemed as if Russ didn't trust it. He'd drop back and immediately jet around the right side, all the while it looked like Duane Brown was providing good protection. Hopefully Russ gains some trust in Brown after he sees the tape.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":9l9jykao said:
I couldn't figure why Russ kept running to the right. Brown was doing a good job protecting his blind side but it seemed as if Russ didn't trust it. He'd drop back and immediately jet around the right side, all the while it looked like Duane Brown was providing good protection. Hopefully Russ gains some trust in Brown after he sees the tape.

I think it's muscle memory after running for his life for the better part of two years. Eventually, Russell is going to get used to a protected blind side, having a clean pocket to climb or rolling to his left. He's still learning to strike the right balance between patience in allowing plays to develop vs. getting the ball off quickly to the correct read. A solid LT should aid him immensely in that progression.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":33crtbys said:
Sgt. Largent":33crtbys said:
scutterhawk":33crtbys said:
Blitzer88":33crtbys said:

I understand the not spiking it thing, because I didn't expect them to spike the ball there. They flat out said that they would rather get a play off instead of spiking the ball. Said that's how they practice it and that's how they do it in game situations. That's great when people aren't necessarily expecting it, but when you tell people that's what you do every time, then they are going to game plan for it. Without any surprise element, sometimes you just need to spike the ball.

Of course, so many things went wrong all game long, that I can't blame any singular moment or person for this one. It was a team effort losing this game.

Last week was a play with about 25-28 seconds left and we were within a TD distance and the Houston defense was a mess on that play

This week was completely different - yardage was different, the defense being set was different, clock was different

A spike with 20 seconds left and I believe we had a timeout left (could be wrong forgot to run it back and check) and we have about 3 plays left at that point.

Instead we basically turned it into a Hail Mary 8 yards further back

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3iuj54dl said:

Because for most right handed QB's, especially scrambling QB's like Russell it's much easier to roll out and scramble to their right so they're not throwing across their body.

The problem now is teams know this, so they always have their left DE stay wide to cut off Russell's escape lanes that way. Which is why he's always running into a DE and having to throw it out of bounds what seems like 20 times a game.

Chapow

Reaction score
The penalties were what killed us IMO. 16 penalties for 138 yards. That is damn near impossible to overcome and yet we almost did anyway.

I keep seeing people say the offense played liked complete garbage. Did they though? 437 yards of offense doesn't exactly scream complete garbage to me. Washington had 244 yards, almost 200 less than us. That's pretty dominating in our favor.

Again, it was the penalties that doomed us IMO. The 3 missed FG's sure didn't help either. Even with all that going against us, it still took an amazing catch at the end of the game to beat us by 3 points and if just one of those 3 FG's is a make instead of a miss, we're almost certainly winning that game.

I get that it sucks and it looks bad, but it took a perfect shit storm of a lot of things going against us to lose that game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3qwjssnt said:
kidhawk":3qwjssnt said:
Sgt. Largent":3qwjssnt said:
scutterhawk":3qwjssnt said:

Last week was a play with about 25-28 seconds left and we were within a TD distance and the Houston defense was a mess on that play

This week was completely different - yardage was different, the defense being set was different, clock was different

A spike with 20 seconds left and I believe we had a timeout left (could be wrong forgot to run it back and check) and we have about 3 plays left at that point.

Instead we basically turned it into a Hail Mary 8 yards further back

I understand it's different, I'm merely repeating what I heard from Wilson after last week, and that is they practice it like that and they will almost always run a play in these situations during the game. I think when you do something that they expect, it can hurt you at times like these. They need to use situational awareness instead of always just relying on what they do in practice for these 2 minute drills.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Why were we in such a hurry to score the go ahead TD?surely we should have run more time off the clock.
Thoughts guys.

Chapow

Reaction score
beaumaris":2avm85k9 said:
Why were we in such a hurry to score the go ahead TD?surely we should have run more time off the clock.
Thoughts guys.

An opportunity to score a TD presented itself in a game in which we were losing with less than 2 minutes left. Are you saying we should have passed on that opportunity?

Sorry, you just don't do that. So many things could happen. Penalties, sacks, plays for no or minimal gains, missed FG's. Sure, it would have been ideal to take more time off the clock, but taking the lead at that point is way more important than anything else. You never know what's going to happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3q4h3cuh said:
I understand it's different, I'm merely repeating what I heard from Wilson after last week, and that is they practice it like that and they will almost always run a play in these situations during the game. I think when you do something that they expect, it can hurt you at times like these. They need to use situational awareness instead of always just relying on what they do in practice for these 2 minute drills.

It's absolutely situational awareness, that was my point.

Situational awareness last week was Russell and the offense was on a roll the entire game against an exhausted confused Texans D...............so don't spike and take advantage.

This week? Dysfunctional offense that couldn't get anything going all day, and couldn't get out of it's own way. So probably spike and get everyone on the same page. Russell getting tripped and being down by contact was the perfect microcosm of what the offense was doing the entire game, making it harder than it had to be.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1xe9vis7 said:
The receivers are not creating a lot separation because Darrell Bevell has had the same route tree since 1992. He doesn't know any better and hasn't shown any inclination to learn from what new NFL offenses are doing. Look how much the Rams offense has improved since going from Fisher's OC to McVay's. The Seahawks' own passing game would see similar improvement if they moved on from Bevell to a more astute play caller.
Thank you!

I've said it many times before, Bevell's style of offense has not "evolved" with the times.

Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball only works if you are capable of running the ball.

Bevell' pass plays are very vanilla. Russ scrambles and receivers play backyard football.

I won't bash the offense too much. The offense put the game on ice but the defense got torched.

This loss was on the defense as much as the offense.

The Seahawks are a Jekyll and Hyde team.

No consistency.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Chapow":2z6w9p99 said:
beaumaris":2z6w9p99 said:
Thoughts guys.

An opportunity to score a TD presented itself in a game in which we were losing with less than 2 minutes left. Are you saying we should have passed on that opportunity?

Sorry, you just don't do that. So many things could happen. Penalties, sacks, plays for no or minimal gains, missed FG's. Sure, it would have been ideal to take more time off the clock, but taking the lead at that point is way more important than anything else. You never know what's going to happen.

Many things can happen you say.Right,we left way too much time on the clock,and guess what we got beat. :(

Latest posts