Thurmond wasn't happy here?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Had zero chance to prove himself for next contract here. Giants give him an opportunity to come in, light it up on the outside and get paid next year. That wont happen, but he liked the chance.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Guy hit a ceiling here. He's obviously not going to pass Sherman and Maxwell seemed to cement a position late last year, so he split for a better chance to start. Can't begrudge anyone for that. I always liked Thurmond and wish him the best. Hope he can finally shake that injury bug...

hawknation2014

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking when I saw what he signed for. There is no way we didn't match that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Wanted to move on" is code for "they weren't interested in re-signing me without clauses because of my poor life choices."

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Pete kept taking his stash and minchies away, I'd be pretty bummed out too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He literally weeded himself down the totem pole.
Given that he was injured early on, Browner come in and made a big splash, then, Thurmond got his chance to fly when Browner got injured, and pissed it away by getting caught smoking the weed, enter Maxwell ,who had been faunching at the bitt to get in and show that he was ready, willing, and more than capable of doing the job, WITHOUT all the baggage.

I do wish him well now, and maybe he can finally catch a break to be a starter there.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":yzp5f0q5 said:
Yet Thurmond will be the slot guy in NY after they signed DRC and already have Prince Amukamara (or however you spell it).

If he signed in NY solely to get out of the slot, he's going to be disappointed.

Yea, this is pretty ironic. The Giants signed Thurmond first, then signed DRC when he was available. Thurmond might actually be the better corner; I honestly think he's better than Amukamara, but Prince was a 1st rounder by the Giants, so I honestly don't think Thurmond will get an honest competition at being a starter.

It's ironic in that if he came here, Pete would give him an honest shot at competing for that #2 CB spot. I'm theorizing that the Giants already have DRC penciled in at one CB spot and Amukamara at the other. He may have gone to NY thinking he was getting a chance to start, but he would've had a better chance of showcasing his skills in this defense next year.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Plus the giants coach is in a 1 year deal, so depending on the wins this year, the organization might go through a lot more changes. So he is taking a risk, but wishing him to come out of this with a huge contract.

keasley45

Reaction score
Thurmond was not unhappy here. He was a guest on NFL Radio today and talked about moving on, his opportunities in NY and his time in Seattle. Really good listen if you can find it somewhere. He said he was looking for a change of scenery... literally a change of scenery. Said he'd been in the PNW for ten years and really enjoyed NY while he was there for the SB. Even went back a few times since to visit. Said he fell in-love with the city and saw the offer as an opportunity to take a new step in his life and career. He spoke very highly of the Seahawk org and talked about all that he learned while he was here and how he hoped to take some of the Hawk' D philosophy / mentality with him and hopefully influence his new team. Talked about how the atmosphere on the team was infectious - everyone scratching and fighting to be the guy to make the play...
It was a good interview.

two dog

Reaction score
I know that when he drew that four week suspension late last year he didn't command
the kind of support and well wishers from this board that he does now. To say nothing
about the lack of respect for him because they seemed to feel that he had not respected
the team or, they, the fans. We hadn't won the S.B. then and a lot of people were fed
up with him.

I'll say the same thing about him as I did about Tate: He's a guy that used to play here,
now he doesn't. And he's probably not coming back. By training camp, Walt the Duck
will be long time gone. Next man up.

BTW the only departed player I feel differently than this about is Clemons. I really wish
we had Clem back but that ship has sunk, been raised and sailed away.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ I feel exactly today the way I felt the day he was suspended. With that...good riddance, don't let the door hit you in the ass. I love these guys with the "Oh I want a chance to start". Well, maybe keeping your ass on the field would give you a better chance @ that.

Everyone is cool because we won the SB. IIRC, it seems his suspension came right in the teeth of our schedule. Why should we have even a little devotion to him? Back then I posted that I was certain he nor Browner would be back. We are getting a rep that I know Pete does not want us to have and I think he will get even more agro going forward. Maybe this is why Michael got no action, too.

Clem, Red and TATE (in particular) I will cheer on almost as though they are still Hawks. But Thurmond? I couldn't give a rat's ass about Walter Thurmond.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I call BS. I heard him on radio the other day. Very gracious. Said with the secondary as talented as it was and the drug thing on top of other guys needing to be signed, simply wasnt room and he knew that going into the offseason.