Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

King Dog

Reaction score
I'm cool with bringing back TJack. He went 7-7 here and we're better now. He knows the offense and guys respect him in the locker room. You can't really ask for more in a backup when Quinn is your next best option.

If he has to play in a game or two, maybe he eeks out a win.

kearly

Reaction score
First, I'm really glad that PC/JS are at least flying him in. It makes sense to at least give him a workout and a fair shake after being such a class act for us the first time around. I hope they sign him and give him a real shot at the roster, but just giving him a chance is a nice start. He deserves it.

Second, Seattle might conceivably keep Quinn and Johnson even with the addition of T-Jack. We don't have 3 QBs fighting for "starter" reps this offseason and there should be enough reps to figure out who our #2 QB should be even if there are 3 guys vying for it. It would probably be better if they kept it to a 2 man competition, but if that happened I'm guessing they keep Quinn and axe Johnson, which I wouldn't care for much.

I hope they sign him. It really did seem that T-Jack was starting to gel at the end here, and don't forget that Seattle actually entered the 2012 league year banking on T-Jack as our 2012 starter (Flynn was unexpected, and Wilson was not a sure thing until we secured him in the draft). He's not a great starter, but he's not that different from guys like Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. If Harbaugh can make those guys productive, I don't see why Pete couldn't do it with the best roster in the league.

Mostly though, I just hope we sign T-Jack because I don't feel great about banking on a sub 5'11" mobile QB to stay healthy while rushing for 500-1000 yards this season. Wilson is a bulky QB for his height and knows how to preserve his body, but it's just one of those things, he's a higher risk for injury than most QBs. Therefore it's that much more important to have a backup who can at least keep the team from being a disaster. With T-Jack, he may not be pro-bowl material, but we know what we are getting, and it's good enough to win games on this roster.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I get the feeling that there is a "broken hearts club" forming for TJack on this message board. I'm speechless at the "we weren't very nice to TJack" sentiment that I am hearing. IMO....we don't owe him "Jack"! Some here seem to have forgotten how BAD he really was when he left....and guess what? He's hasn't gotten any better in his old age!

pinksheets

Reaction score
Reports coming in that in preparation for his Seahawks visit, TJack brushed his shoulders off.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The team respected him. That's important. He played with a torn muscle. He showed heart. When - not if - Wilson misses a game or two, a guy like TJack can keep the team rolling. I don't have much faith in the guy, but Carroll evidently has enough to give him a shot and that's good enough for me.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":oivy393y said:
I get the feeling that there is a "broken hearts club" forming for TJack on this message board. I'm speechless at the "we weren't very nice to TJack" sentiment that I am hearing. IMO....we don't owe him "Jack"! Some here seem to have forgotten how BAD he really was when he left....and guess what? He's hasn't gotten any better in his old age!

Which is why he isn't STARTING.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Tjack is the best back up in the nfl. The seahawks would be lucky to have him. I mean he led the seahawks to the worst offense in the nfl with the same exact offense Russel Wilson had. Look up the definition of insanity and that would be signing Tjack. Its cute there flying him in but there wont be room on this team. For a statue that wont throw the ball. The Seahawks FO signing and drafting Quaterbacks left and right, is not banking on tjack being the starter.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Bring him him and let's see which one of the 3 QB's wins a spot.

Quinn- Probably the smartest in the film room of the 3 and might actually help make RW a better QB but is limited on the field

T-Jax- Is physically gifted, though as nails, and has earned team respect but his accuracy is sub par.

J Johnson- The most upside but is not as seasoned or respected and would be learning from RW not helping him

I'd let RW pick who he wants as his backup.

kigenzun

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3gleoq9c said:
Quinn threw for over 300 yards and 4 TD's against Detroit and went 19 for 23 and 2 TD's against Carolina and that was in different systems with crap teams. Jackson has had 7 years in the league with a ton more starts and playing time and has never put together a single game like those and he has been on absolutely stacked teams. He couldn't crack the active roster in a new system in Buffalo and was cut in favor of Kolb and a rookie.

I'll take the guy that can occasionally show something even in a putrid situation over a guy that has been carried his entire career and shown really much of nothing.
Thank you :)

Why speculate? Watch the tape. I know y'all hate Notre Dame but imagine the players we have on those routes. Miller, Willson, Rice, Baldwin, Tate, Harper, and Harvin. We all know what routes they run. Its not that much imagination after all. Quinn can make the throws we need to facilitate this offense scoring TD's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE With our defense, that will win games.

btw Brock Huard should know better. He had a shot at being a 3rd round pick Seahawks QBOTF, and blew it. Maybe we should give him another shot this year too... why not? He was good as a Husky, and holds a fond place in our collective memories right? The truth is... He sucked. And is retired now. Notice the parallel?

Truly, I don't understand the logic of the Tjackers on this board. If he can't win as a starter, how do you figure he's gonna be able to win a clutch game or two as a backup? If he can't beat out Kevin Kolb in Buffalo, how do you figure he can... or needs to be... on our final 53 in 2013? Its ridiculous.

But hey... why are we all even arguing it except out of pure offseason boredom?
So yeah. Sure. Fly 'em in. Try 'em out. "Always compete" 'em all you want. Straight up against both BQ & JJ he will be cut because both BQ & JJ have better backup &/or practice squad potential. But why just reminisce? Sign Tjack and put him back out there... watch him suck it again, and then trade 'em to Jacksonville for a 6th... err I mean, let him go out to pasture once and for all. Geez.

"Free at last Free at last... thank God almighty we have Russell Wilson instead of Tjack."

pinksheets

Reaction score
We were near .500 with TJack, what more can you ask from a backup? Do you think if Brady Quinn started 16 games he'd get us to 8 wins, 9 wins? I don't care if Quinn has 2 magical games, so did Flynn and he's not much of anything, I just want a guy who can be a placeholder and let a great team around him get things done and run the offense. TJack can do that. The Quinn-Panthers game was after the Belcher murder-suicide, and the refs directed the game. Did the Chiefs even get a penalty in that game? Take that one with a grain of salt. Quinn is flat out awful most of the time, TJack is average-ish most of the time, and terrible sometimes. You aren't getting a backup with big upside without getting that guy in the draft.

TJack would give us one of the better backups in the league, no question for me.

pinksheets

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1skoiu65 said:
He is average AT BEST. That will not be good enough. When has he ever won a game in the clutch, EVER?
How many teams have backups that are above average quarterbacks?

Stacks

Reaction score
It would be nice if we sign him and cut Quinn on the same day. He's a shoe-in for #2 no point of even having any sort of "competition". He already knows the offensive terminology and most of the playbook.

Does anyone know if Johnson is still PS eligible?

mcbobly

Reaction score
pnwhawk25":3g7xgocc said:
I'm not a fan of either, but I'll take Quinn.
AMEN, T-joke sucked and I don't wanna hear all those lame excuses about a torn pec because he sucked in MN and he sucked here too. I am absolutely stymied they would even consider such a HUGE mistake...again

pinksheets

Reaction score
mcbobly":2o9fvfqz said:
pnwhawk25":2o9fvfqz said:
I'm not a fan of either, but I'll take Quinn.
AMEN, T-joke sucked and I don't wanna hear all those lame excuses about a torn pec because he sucked in MN and he sucked here too. I am absolutely stymied they would even consider such a HUGE mistake...again
Imagine Quinn as our starter in 2011, we'd probably have drafted Andrew Luck.

JKent82

Reaction score
kearly":2uf3y11f said:
He's not a great starter, but he's not that different from guys like Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick.

Shots fired there. (Though I suspect you mean more style, ie limited reads)

Anyways I hope we do bring Tarvaris back. He's solid, knows the system, and I trust him one hell of a lot more than I would Quinn. Unless Quinn's arm strength has improved I don't see him doing that great in this system, still remember him back on the browns trying to throw deep in a game and he couldn't keep it in bounds or long enough. Anybody watch him much at the end of last year?

Hope we keep Jerrod though, young upside and all. The reworked throwing motion story is always hope-inducing.

Then again the whole Brady Quinn is a film rat thing seems beneficial for Russell. But man, Brady Quinn...

Best of all though, we really can become the 2010 Vikings passing attack. (Well the post Brett Favre injury, pre Joe Webb taking over for injured Tarvaris one. I should not have spent the time reading about the 2010 Vikings. I am the holder of much useless info)