Tom Cable Week 4 Press Conference

iigakusei

Reaction score
Seymour":1ln20cf1 said:
onanygivensunday":1ln20cf1 said:
Aaron Rodgers has pocket presence that Russell can only dream about.

That, and Rodgers can accurately flip the ball to an open receiver 35 yards downfield in a moment's notice.

No other QB in the league is capable of some of the throws that he makes.

Disagree. Then why does Russell have more hits yet less sacks than Rodgers?

Rodgers (4 games) 15 sacks 27 hits
Wilson (3 games) 7 sacks 27 hits

A QB hit is defined as a play when the QB gets hit while throwing or immediately after throwing the football.
Please tell me this is sarcastic. Rodgers pocket presence is the best in the league and it isn't close. Russ has a lot of talents but pocket presence wouldn't be high on the list.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
adeltaY":3usn0dsd said:
So Cable blames Russ' struggles on bloggers and people on twitter for having high expectations, not the OL? I'm not sure what to make of this, either they guy is incapable of taking any responsibility for the dumpsterfire OL or he's trying to cover for Russ?

Where is the comprehension of what Tom actually said? Where is the author's sense of responsibility? Perhaps another attempt at listening?

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1k3xa19p said:
Baby steps, but some progress.

Reality:

LT- rookie back-up level player playing a new position.

LG- new player to the team (1st year in new system) playing a new scheme with an injury that restricted him in preseason.

OC- experienced player

RG- Experienced back-up level player in first season with a new team playing with a new group after being the #2 in pre-season

RT- 2nd year player playing in new position as a pro with uncertain new players on his left

there is no question that the OLine play has been weak, but the above can offer some understanding why they have struggled to start the season. Do not forget that the team pays their Oline the least of any team in the NFL.

Hopefully the progress will continue.

Jville thanks for posting thelinks to the interview.

Nearly all of the issues you identified have to do with experience or being moved. Pete and John last season finally admitted they made a mistake with too much youth / lack of experience.

They set out to fix that, yet here we are again with nearly the exact same problem.

Similar problem existed in 2015 also. Why would any reasonable person still be patient, our players get older each year.

Lastly, if we are all suppose to know this, what does that say about our leaders that seemingly don't when they play musical linemen every year?

"We always kind of double-trained guys, and we’ve seen how it’s paid off, especially in the last two years,” Cable said. “Most of the time, it takes a little more effort, a little more time from the coach’s side, because it’s a bigger investment. You’ve got to do more and work more.

“There’s also the ego of a player who says, ‘By God, I’m just a right guard, and that’s all I’ll be.’ That’s OK. They can go play for somebody else. They come here, and it’s one of the first things we tell them. We’re going to ask you to do a couple things. They know where they sit right away.”

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
For those interested, Cable did carefully address errors of reading play execution by press and video and blogger and twitting media as well some fans. I think it clear that we don't know what the team knows. Luck Willson, in his good nature manner, also addressed misrepresentations of player performance by those who don't know what the team knows in his interview this week. [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10022799&sid=1013&n=Danny%2C+Dave+and+Moore[/urltargetblank] There are other mentions of the subject by coaches and players in multiple interviews.

Misrepresentation of performances may not be a popular topic. But, it is real. And, it generates a lot of misleading noise.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Seymour":2jpwgzcj said:
jammerhawk":2jpwgzcj said:
Baby steps, but some progress.

Reality:

LT- rookie back-up level player playing a new position.

LG- new player to the team (1st year in new system) playing a new scheme with an injury that restricted him in preseason.

OC- experienced player

RG- Experienced back-up level player in first season with a new team playing with a new group after being the #2 in pre-season

RT- 2nd year player playing in new position as a pro with uncertain new players on his left

there is no question that the OLine play has been weak, but the above can offer some understanding why they have struggled to start the season. Do not forget that the team pays their Oline the least of any team in the NFL.

Hopefully the progress will continue.

Jville thanks for posting thelinks to the interview.

Nearly all of the issues you identified have to do with experience or being moved. Pete and John last season finally admitted they made a mistake with too much youth / lack of experience.

They set out to fix that, yet here we are again with nearly the exact same problem.

Similar problem existed in 2015 also. Why would any reasonable person still be patient, our players get older each year.

Lastly, if we are all suppose to know this, what does that say about our leaders that seemingly don't when they play musical linemen every year?

"We always kind of double-trained guys, and we’ve seen how it’s paid off, especially in the last two years,” Cable said. “Most of the time, it takes a little more effort, a little more time from the coach’s side, because it’s a bigger investment. You’ve got to do more and work more.

“There’s also the ego of a player who says, ‘By God, I’m just a right guard, and that’s all I’ll be.’ That’s OK. They can go play for somebody else. They come here, and it’s one of the first things we tell them. We’re going to ask you to do a couple things. They know where they sit right away.”

Those quotes by Cable are pretty alarming. First off, the line has actually been worse than it ever has the last two years,so the strategy has most certainly not paid off. Most of us would love to have Carp/Sweezy/Giacomini back right now, and those lines were hardly spectacular. And the second part just comes off as arrogant. Tackle/Guard/Center all require specialized skillsets within the context of the o-line; a player logically looking to specialize at one of those positions can "go play for somebody else"? That's a pretty concerning statement, seeing as how specialization was basically the catalyst for the Industrial Revolution and has been shown to improve productivity and efficiency.

Hawks46

Reaction score
seabowl":1sr0s231 said:
austinslater25":1sr0s231 said:
I'm watching the Packers who routinely pick from the same section of the draft as we do without their TOP 5 TACKLES from the preseason and they aren't playing as bad as ours do. Cable is terrible at player evaluation Nowak over Lewis, letting Evans go and he ends up in the pro how, aboushi behind Glow looks like his latest mistake and Pocic on the bench when I would bet money he's an improvement over at least one person starting. I'm over Cable, hes hurting the team not helping.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's not all Cable. When you watch the Packers play you'll see 2 things that the Hawks don't do:

1- Call plays to get receivers open right off the snap (crossing routes, quick slants, quasi pick plays etc...)
2- call plays that get the ball out of the hand of the QB within a second or 2

If your line stinks you can't call plays that take a while to develop. This is part is all on Bevell.

Spot on. One of the trends you'll notice when we play GB is that we'll get a ton of sacks in the first half when GB tries to run their regular offense.

They realize they're getting Rodgers beat up so in the 2nd half, everything is out of his hand in 2 seconds and we get fewer sacks.

Our problem is that we can't seem to make that adjustment.

Then again, our OL is steadily improving. I expect more of the same this week as we play a weaker opponent where we can afford to work on stuff.