Trade Britt?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
" Britt was average at best this year"

...which makes him our best lineman. By a longshot. To me, the jury is still out on Brown.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Bad idea.

1. Britt is a serviceable center at best (18th overall in PFF's 2017 grades), but is paid like a much better player than that under his new contract. That won't get you anything in trade.....5th or 6th round pick at best, depending on the team.

2. Pocic's best position in the NFL is not center. His severe lack of core lower body strength was really exposed in the NFL this year, the further away from the interior of the line he is the better. Pocic needs to be pulling and working in space, not getting bull rushed by 0 and 1-techniques.

3. The key to the Hawks OL improving is better scheme/coaching (Cable/Bevell), and some modicum of continuity among the core players you're trying to build around (Britt, Pocic, Ifedi, etc.). Starting over at center does no good, and robbing Peter to pay Paul by trading Britt for a draft pick (never mind a Day 3 pick) is not going to have a net-improvement on the team.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
He's our best linemen, and "average at best" will fetch, what, a fourth round pick? We may as well keep him for that value.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":3gy0u1eq said:
DB is still clearly our best lineman guys.

Fact.. unless Cable converts a kicker to left tackle then that will surely win the prize

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3l5b7szt said:
original poster":3l5b7szt said:
Sgt. Largent":3l5b7szt said:
original poster":3l5b7szt said:
Most of the time, that is correct, but not in the case of the Britt contract.

How so?

It's down to how the contract money was split.

If he was traded they'd lose his dead money ($8.75M) AND a further $2,583,334 would come off the books.

Exactly the same thing would happen with Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell and Ethan Pocic as well.

Then we definitely won't be trading Britt.

Only players I see Pete and John dangling out to see if they can get a good trade deal on are;

- Thomas
- Sherman
- Bennett
- Wagner
- KJ

In the case of Sherman and Bennett, I'm not sure there's any trade value due to injuries. If teams weren't willing to give up a 1st or more for Sherman last year, they're sure not going to this year coming off a ruptured achilles.

Wagner? What led you to this conclusion? I could honestly see this guy playing another 10 years at a high level.

mikeak

Reaction score
original poster":3cdzxtxg said:
Sgt. Largent":3cdzxtxg said:
original poster":3cdzxtxg said:
Sgt. Largent":3cdzxtxg said:
If you trade him, there is no dead money. Only cutting results in dead money hits. New team assumes contract.

Anyway, bad idea. Very little draft pick return, and you make our line once again weaker.

How so?

If he was traded they'd lose his dead money ($8.75M) AND a further $2,583,334 would come off the books.

Exactly the same thing would happen with Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell and Ethan Pocic as well.

This is wrong only bonuses paid out would be eaten by Seahawks. That is only $3.75 million

original poster

Reaction score
mikeak":2wzcy0xh said:
original poster":2wzcy0xh said:
Sgt. Largent":2wzcy0xh said:
original poster":2wzcy0xh said:

How so?

This is wrong only bonuses paid out would be eaten by Seahawks. That is only $3.75 million

Read his contract wording, I'm 99.9% sure it isn''t wrong.

kidhawk

Reaction score
original poster":3fwt5gum said:
mikeak":3fwt5gum said:
original poster":3fwt5gum said:
Sgt. Largent":3fwt5gum said:

I believe that none of us can say with certainty one way or the other until 5 days after the league year ends. From what I've seen, that is when he is to get a $5 million bonus which is pro-rated according to overthecap (assuming I'm reading it correctly) and if we decide not to make it a bonus it becomes guaranteed salary instead (his 2018 salary is guaranteed). If we want to trade him for cap reasons, we'd have to decide not to give him the bonus within those 5 days. Once we do that, his salary escalates which would move with a trade, but it also lowers any potential trade value.

With that said, he didn't do anything to make me think he's going anywhere. If anything, that contract extension pretty much assures us that he'll be here this season. Our line needs to keep the bodies that play decent and get some sort of rhythm. Brown, Pocic, Britt are (IMO) the three to build from. I would also move Pocic to Left guard and be rid of Joeckel (he's an UFA anyway). Then we can see how Fant recovers and try him at Right tackle while bringing in competition for the Right Tackle/Right Guard positions. I think doing this would be our best options at improving the line for the upcoming season. Trading a guy like Britt who anchors the Center position isn't the wisest move at this point in time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":36ul3yg1 said:
Sgt. Largent":36ul3yg1 said:
original poster":36ul3yg1 said:
Sgt. Largent":36ul3yg1 said:

Then we definitely won't be trading Britt.

Only players I see Pete and John dangling out to see if they can get a good trade deal on are;

- Thomas
- Sherman
- Bennett
- Wagner
- KJ

In the case of Sherman and Bennett, I'm not sure there's any trade value due to injuries. If teams weren't willing to give up a 1st or more for Sherman last year, they're sure not going to this year coming off a ruptured achilles.

Wagner? What led you to this conclusion? I could honestly see this guy playing another 10 years at a high level.

I'm not saying I want to trade Wagner, or that the FO would either. I'm merely listing the players that have a high trade value. BECAUSE he could be great for another 10 years is why we could get a lot for him if Pete and John decide to blow this thing up and rebuild.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vbd0gz7 said:
Coug_Hawk08":3vbd0gz7 said:
Really? Trade Everyone!!

Dead money would be nasty, not sure it would even save cap space to ship him out. Also knowing his salary and your eval is that he is just OK, who would trade for that combo?

Britt regressed, but this is premature - as is anointing pocic.

If you trade him, there is no dead money. Only cutting results in dead money hits. New team assumes contract.

Anyway, bad idea. Very little draft pick return, and you make our line once again weaker.

To reiterate others points, trading somebody and cutting somebody have the exact same effect on the salary cap. All guaranteed money is assumed the following year (so if a player has three years left on contract and prorated $2M per year in signing bonus then $6M hits the cap immediately). Actually, you can save MORE money in the first year after cutting somebody if you label them a post-June 1st cut (because then the guaranteed money is split evenly between this year and the following) than you can if you trade a player.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHHA!

On a sub-par O-line with only two guys who could even make most team's starting lineups right now (Brown and Britt), you want to dump one of those guys?

Brilliant, just freaking brilliant.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
NFL network did a quick segment highlighting how important Max Unger is to the Saints run game because he is able to occupy two defenders and allow their guards to block linebackers. I see this as more proof that Cable’s specific scheme is not executable here. Our struggling running backs and oline men leave Cable and find success.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
That's the only trade that doesn't make sense. Only trade up.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Seymour":2v3bv83p said:
Somehow his contract never sunk in with me. Must be I was so happy they signed 1 at least?

But damn....$9M for friggin Britt but you won't pay $1.1M to Jahri Evans??

sFun_banghead.gif~c200

:ditto:

I like John Schneider, but sometimes he just makes me shake my head

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2s130zdn said:
original poster":2s130zdn said:
mikeak":2s130zdn said:
original poster":2s130zdn said:

I believe that none of us can say with certainty one way or the other until 5 days after the league year ends. From what I've seen, that is when he is to get a $5 million bonus which is pro-rated according to overthecap (assuming I'm reading it correctly) and if we decide not to make it a bonus it becomes guaranteed salary instead (his 2018 salary is guaranteed). If we want to trade him for cap reasons, we'd have to decide not to give him the bonus within those 5 days. Once we do that, his salary escalates which would move with a trade, but it also lowers any potential trade value.

With that said, he didn't do anything to make me think he's going anywhere. If anything, that contract extension pretty much assures us that he'll be here this season. Our line needs to keep the bodies that play decent and get some sort of rhythm. Brown, Pocic, Britt are (IMO) the three to build from. I would also move Pocic to Left guard and be rid of Joeckel (he's an UFA anyway). Then we can see how Fant recovers and try him at Right tackle while bringing in competition for the Right Tackle/Right Guard positions. I think doing this would be our best options at improving the line for the upcoming season. Trading a guy like Britt who anchors the Center position isn't the wisest move at this point in time.

EXACTLY ^..I believe that many here are overlooking some of the reasons for Britt's lackluster performances this last season.
He was having to help the misfit Guards on either side of him, and hell, even Brown was made less effective with the crappy play from the Guard to his right....No matter how good Britt & Brown are, they can't be in two places at once at every snap.
I just hope that they don't shuffle what little cohesion they have out of the lineup.
Neither Britt nor Brown are the problem, and Cable needs to FOCUS on fixing the RT, and BOTH Guard positions.
When Doug Baldwin has to try'n put a shush Cable so's Russell Wilson could address the O-Line, trying to help them with their missed assignments, I think we know what Baldwin was implying at his last press of the season.
Everybody KNOWS that the O-Line this season was one of the worse in the League, and it was Bevell who had to TRY and put together Offensive scheme plans for the last three years, while utilizing all of Cable's misfits.
NOW, just imaging Bevell having to mix in Cable's RB/O-Line theories.

Jville

Reaction score
Reflecting on Justin Britt's back end loaded contract .......

The 2017 cap number for the 26 year old 4th year pro with his best years ahead of him was $2,349,932. If the $5 million option bonus is exercised, his 2018 cap number will be $6,166,666. If the $5 million option bonus is not exercised, his 2018 cap number would be $9 million and his 2019 cap number would fall to around $6,250,000 instead of $7,916,666 without the option exercised.

Because of the team cap numbers, I expect the option to be exercised. Britt's contract was written for a player they expect to improve over time. If he meets or exceeds expectations "to be all that he can be", he will remain under contract. If not, his career could finish on a different track ...... possibly like that of ..... Red Bryant .... as an example of one of many possible outcomes.

The linked OTC table on Justin Britt reflects the expectation that the option will be exercised >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/player/justin-britt/3003/[/urltargetblank]

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
xgeoff":1zrihy8a said:
Seymour":1zrihy8a said:
Somehow his contract never sunk in with me. Must be I was so happy they signed 1 at least?

But damn....$9M for friggin Britt but you won't pay $1.1M to Jahri Evans??

sFun_banghead.gif~c200

:ditto:

I like John Schneider, but sometimes he just makes me shake my head

Yeah, he actually admitted he made a mistake on that one.