Tre Flowers, on fast track to ---- ?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He's been picked on, but he plays that bend, don't break defense that i'll accept at this stage. I think he'll improve dramatically by the end of the season. I hope so anyways.

chris98251

Reaction score
We will know how far he has progressed when he begins to jump routes and is confident enough to begin to get into a receivers grill.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Considering he was always a safety in College, he's doing pretty well overall. It's a lot to throw on a guy as a rookie switching positions. Hopefully he just continues to improve and will be an eventual starter for good.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3az2vx7s said:
Mad Dog":3az2vx7s said:
hawknation2018":3az2vx7s said:
toffee":3az2vx7s said:
Mediocre is being kind sir as PFF rated him as one of the worst starting CB. As a homer, he’s one of my adopted rookies, I expect him to be average by the later stage of this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PFF gave him a grade just under 50, which is a tremendous improvement from the 30-something grade he received in his first game.

I thought he showed more improvement in Week 3 than anticipated. He only allowed a 60 QB rating and 44% completions. He’s keeping the receiver in front of him, by and large. The pass breakup he had that led to an INT was a tremendous play.

I was really down on him after the first game. I think he will be picked on a lot for the rest of the season and will probably allow a few big plays where he beat over the top or on crossing routes that require better agility and technique to defend. But I think he is by far the best option, his length, instincts and attitude are very exciting, and he is progressing faster than I personally anticipated.

He hasn't gotten beat over the top yet and if he gets beat on a crossing route its not likely his fault as he's been brought in as a boundary corner. Its the DC's job to keep him schemed away from covering crossing routes. Our system is predicated on lanky corners providing boundary coverage with the safeties, linebackers and nickel corners providing coverage of the crossers and underneath routes.

I doubt PFF really understands our defense and every player's role in it. As long as Flowers isn't getting beat deep, isn't missing tackles, he's doing the job Carroll wants him to do. So I'd rather see Carroll's grade than PFF.

Personally I think Flowers and Dissly might be the steals of the draft.

He has been beaten over the top (a couple times at least in the first game) but one was overthrown and the other wasn’t attempted due to pressure. He was also beaten on a crossing route (man coverage), which was completed.

You are only beat if they catch the pass.

You don't know that the crossing route he was beat on was his fault. It could have been Earl's fault for coming down on the shorter cross and not covering the deep cross. Tre's responsibility may have been to obtain outside leverage and guard the fade and leave the crosser to the safeties. If you don't know the defense called and everyone's responsibility in it, you can't call "beat".

chawx

Reaction score
My impressions of Tre was...he blends in...which is a good thing. He wasn't getting his named called much unless it was because he was tussling with a WR (giving them the business, as they say). I like him. He gets in guys heads and he gets beat at a less rate than most rookie CBs do. I think Pete found another solid gem—excited to see him get better as he sees more plays and gets more XP

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clearly they are telling the D to keep things in front of them. More of a bend don't break type thing. Keep them off the scoreboard or to 3's instead of 7's and they have a real shot against anyone.

adeltaY

Reaction score
It's a successful coverage if you're beat but the receiver drops the ball or the QB misses him? Is it not a bad throw if the QB throws it straight to the defender and the defender drops it?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
adeltaY":2sbvc2mz said:
It's a successful coverage if you're beat but the receiver drops the ball or the QB misses him? Is it not a bad throw if the QB throws it straight to the defender and the defender drops it?

It's only a bad throw if the QB didn't read the defense right or wasn't under duress. If the WR was supposed to be in front of the defender but runs a wrong route, is it the QB's fault? If the QB gets a hand in his face from the DL is it a bad throw or just a good defensive play?

Again if you don't know the coverage plan and the leverage the DB is supposed to provide, you can't call "beat" just because someone is open near them. Sometimes its obvious, sometimes there's more nuance.

And sometimes if a DB sees a ball is clearly overthrown, they let up and when the cameras arrive it looks like they've been beat.

So many possibilities for what you see on film. Only the coaches and players really know the full truth about anything. We are left to evaluate with limited knowledge and fans tend to oversimplify blame.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Flowers is a textbook example of what great teachers Pete and his staff are at the DB position.

He was pretty shaky during pre-season, and wasn't even a starter until Johnson got hurt. Now he's showing up in the CB league leaders on defense each week, and has really shored up the position opposite Griffin, which was a HUGE red flag going into the season.

We'll see though just how much he's improved over the next month, cause he'll see some of the best QB's in the league.

Seymour

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but what the heck happened to Maxwell anyway?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":2r40qw2y said:
Seymour":2r40qw2y said:
Slightly off topic but what the heck happened to Maxwell anyway?

Wasn't he an IR release?

On April 27, 2018, the Seattle Seahawks signed Maxwell to a one-year, $2 million contract with a $200,000 signing bonus. On September 1, 2018, Maxwell was placed on injured reserve. He was released with an injury settlement six days later. Pete obviously really liked Flowers.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Dan, answer: Yes.

To me although Flowers may be a rookie he's play well in his new position as a CB, yes he has some limitations but is not slow and mirrors well however, he could get himself turned around better to play the ball.

I like his physicality and he is a good tackler, his ball skills will improve with experience. As a SS in college he's doing well playing CB as a pro.

He's not perfect but he's becoming a better CB with each game he plays. He's on the fast track to be a a solid CB.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Maxwell is likely hanging around on the ghost roster waiting to be signed as a street FA if someone goes down.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1iwbn9iv said:
Maxwell is likely hanging around on the ghost roster waiting to be signed as a street FA if someone goes down.

I think they will sign him when eligible, they are still pretty thin at cb. I think they like Neiko as a special teams ace and emergency cb, not starting cb. I thought he played well enough when he was in, but my heart sunk when Tre went out with what we later found out to be cramps. Thought it looked serious.

As for answering the question, I think the sky is the limit for Tre. A couple years, who knows, could be top ten. Sherm wasn't FHOF Sherm his rookie season.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Pete tried to convert college safeties to CB, not all worked, but Tre seems like he is on fast track to legit NFL CB.