Tre Mason not in Rams camp

soohawk

Reaction score
mental health is a serious issue that has no funny aspect to it. Under any circumstance these individuals can feel threatened and do serious harm to themselves, their families or random strangers and in light of those fact its to be given the utmost respect and support.

There is a lot of love and respect on this forum for our brothers and sisters, I would just like to say that if you are ever having a down day and your suffering pick up the phone, go see a friend or a family member because you need to know that there are people who care for you and need you in their lives. Love and support are a good starting point to combat mental health issues but so much more is needed. Be that person for someone who needs it.

kearly

Reaction score
I spend time almost every day mentoring a young man with severe autism, bi-polar, and schizophrenic along with other disorders. He's unable to work because of his conditions and is utterly miserable most of the time. It's really tough on his family of course. But I learned from my experiences with him that he's a pure-hearted guy that needs friendship and love just like anyone else, even if his issues make it extremely difficult. He has been the way he is now since birth.

That's why I have a hard time believing anyone could be normal for 23 years and then suddenly flip a crazy switch. I'm sure it does happen, but this has not been my anecdotal experience with mental illness. If Mason's condition is legit then I am certainly sympathetic to his cause, I just feel a sense of suspicious given the suddenness of it and the timing.

soohawk

Reaction score
I have all the respect possible for what you do Kearly for that young man and I enjoy interacting with you here on .net as well. In light of that I want to make it clear that I am by no way calling anybody out in this thread about being insensitive or anything like that, I also spend my time working with at risk members of society as well as those that are physically, emotionally and mentally developmentally delayed and have learned a great bit since I started in these environments.

Mental health is a precious entity, in most cases it will not fall apart on its own and usually has to be traumatized to draw it out. In this instance I have no idea how Tre Mason is getting along or how his diagnosis was not apparent to his doctor at an earlier age, if he has had a sudden shift in lifestyle that caused it or if he is just acting out. My intention with my comment was to promote anyone who is hurting (emotionally, physically, mentally, culturally, spiritually, economically etc...) to seek help. Be it with someone who is a qualified professional or someone in their day to day life with whom they have a connection. Its too scary otherwise. I have unfortunately had several friends (all from different backgrounds, geographic locations around N.A., cultures, financial classes etc...) take their lives and its a terrible burden for all involved.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
What information is available on the web is quite indicative of a diagnosis of a psychotic episode secondary to schizophrenia. It could also be a psychotic episode secondary to ingestion of "synthetic cannabis."

Prior to the full onset of schizophrenia, the symptoms are quite nebulous and are typically only appreciated in retrospect. Things like social withdrawal, inappropriate emotional responses, flat affect, and poor hygiene tend to be seen as just typical adolescence when viewed prospectively. While the psychotic episode seems to "come out of the blue" there are some early warning signs, but they are almost always dismissed by close friends and family, and almost never appreciated by other people that the patient interacts with prior to the first psychotic episode.

Even some of the paranoia that can go along with schizophrenia can be erroneously dismissed early on. There is a pretty smeared line between benign conspiracy theories, and outright delusional psychosis.

All that to say, it would not be at all atypical for a guy like Tre Mason to get to this point of life before schizophrenia is recognized subsequent to an initial psychotic episode, and for no one to have been particularly suspicious before now. It would also not be particularly atypical for a schizophrenic to successfully mask the disease by being fully immersed in something like sports. He is also in the typical age range for schizophrenia to finally be recognized.

It is a treatable disease, although not curable as of yet. It is entirely possible that he can get help and return to the NFL.