Trent Williams: Seahawks aren’t unstoppable, we can beat....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":7e8ulxse said:
I have been tired of the whole media bit for decades. I don't mind reporting on facts that have happened, it is usually the forecasting and prediction type stuff that annoys me. The play on words taken out of context, used in a headline to get numbers.

Like this thing with Harbafreak. If it is going bad, it is going to go bad, the media doesn't need to help it along. Or the question "do you think you can win?" Do they just fish? expecting a player to say "yeah, we are going to lose, but we will try anyways".

It seems to come up all the time with players, but it is meant to generate a quote, nothing more. It happens for all topics, not just sports.

Yep. It's why it's kinda silly when 9ers fans give Wilson crap about his Teddy Ruxbin approach to the media. It's ridiculous of course, but MUCH less ridiculous than some imaginary Bullworth world in which people are dumb enough to say what they think to the media.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just read something that made me think of one more thing:

In an ideal world reporters would be spending most of their time actually reporting on things and investigating, and save their opinion pieces for post-game analysis of what was actually happening on the field.

So, on the one hand you have Maiocco's very good investigative work that unearthed the previous domestic dispute at McDonald's house, and on the other hand you have stuff like Lynch's (VERRRYYYY GOOOOOOOD) summary analysis of what was happening (both good and bad) in the 49ers-Eagles game:

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/10/02 ... st-season/

The PFT guys and people like Kawakami don't do EITHER of these things. So, while Roland's right that this is a banal observation, it doesn't mean that good work isn't done. Basically, in an ideal world reporters would be reporting, and be learned enough about the sport to save their opinionating for analyses of the actual games.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Popeyejones":o91saqor said:
Yep. It's why it's kinda silly when 9ers fans give Wilson crap about his Teddy Ruxbin approach to the media. It's ridiculous of course, but MUCH less ridiculous than some imaginary Bullworth world in which people are dumb enough to say what they think to the media.

Yeah, Wilson works the media like a machine. Dude NEVER gives them anything to blow out of proportion and stays consistent. It seems bland and it is, but he compliments everyone constantly while flipping the negative into a positive. That doesn't stop them from asking the same questions repeatedly, knowing that he will still give the same answer. Now Wilson hasn't ever experienced a down season, heck there has only been one time that he has lost 2 consecutive games. The guy has never been blown out, ever. So we don't know what it is like for RW to have tough times, but I am confident that he won't crack for the media.

They want to get feeling from the players and when they get it the player pays the price for it. Emotion and truth get exploited. I get it, for that kind of money I would let the media hose me every day.