Trouble Getting Play Snapped - Not Unique To Today

timmat

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the deal is, but if Russ is going to take that much time at the line pre-snap, they need to emphasize some urgency getting in and out of the huddle.

Pete mentioned headset issues, but we've been blowing timeouts all year due to the playclock expiring. When it happens once or twice, fine. But when it's a consistent issue, they really need to make cleaning it up a big emphasis.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I agree with you. This is a problem. Seems like Russ' first look at the clock is about 3 seconds before it is set to expire. That is after spending 7-10 seconds standing at the line surveying the situation. Shouldn't he be looking at it as soon as he advances to the line and realize if he needs to hurry things up?

IrishNW

Reaction score
I also notice he calls for the ball to be snapped and lewis just wont snap the ball. Wilson needs to do a better job getting his offense ready to play

sutz

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":2bfqkz2k said:
I agree with you. This is a problem. Seems like Russ' first look at the clock is about 3 seconds before it is set to expire. That is after spending 7-10 seconds standing at the line surveying the situation. Shouldn't he be looking at it as soon as he advances to the line and realize if he needs to hurry things up?
Given that the play clock is mounted in the end zone, it is staring him in the face. The QB pretty much has to ignore it to not see it.

Yes, this has been a problem from earlier in the year. They have seemed better lately, but definitely a prob in Minnie.

I do know that on several plays, Russ was stamping his foot in the 'start silent count' motion that a lot of teams use and nothing was happening. A couple of times, he was physically dancing trying to get the ball snapped on time, and seemingly being ignored by the center. Usually, the LG looks back to see that and pats the Center on the butt. Not sure if that was happening or not, but it might not all be on the QB/coaching staff.
;)

OP
OP
timmat

timmat

Reaction score
And I don't have an issue with Russell reading the D and getting things set. But if we know he's going to need that much time, they need to be quicker in and out of the huddle to accommodate this.

Optimus25

Reaction score
IrishNW":1rf2hph8 said:
I also notice he calls for the ball to be snapped and lewis just wont snap the ball. Wilson needs to do a better job getting his offense ready to play
Bingo.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Aren't you guys assuming that Bevel is not involved in the delays?

I think he's part of the problem, too.

Laloosh

Reaction score
If the plays are coming in a timely manner, it's on Russ and the line. If the plays are coming in slowly, Russ and the line need to speed up their pre-snap reads/calls.

Either way, it happened waaaay too often but none of us know who was the problem, just that it wasn't being done well.

Jville

Reaction score
The broadcast announced that head set problems were a factor .... at least thru the first half.
However, there were a number of Bevell/Wilson sideline conferences in the second half as well.
So headset problems were unique to the Viking game.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/686270782524227584[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/686272391652098048[/tweet]

irocdave

Reaction score
Jville":26wv1e7z said:
The broadcast announced that head set problems were a factor .... at least thru the first half.
However, there were a number of Bevell/Wilson sideline conferences in the second half as well.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/686270782524227584[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/686272391652098048[/tweet]

Yep, I heard that on our way home on the radio. The head sets were cutting out and this is what caused the problems, several times RW had to just call a play as he couldn't make out what was being called.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":34988v0v said:
Aren't you guys assuming that Bevel is not involved in the delays?

I think he's part of the problem, too.

I don't think so. Not when he gets to the line with 10 seconds plus and then gets caught. Things will happen but if he gets up there with that much time, it seems like problems could be avoided. I don't know how much of it is a Russ issue or a Lewis issue but it seems like enough time to avoid a catastrophe.