Underwelmed with the Dline

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1dbr6hkb said:
I too thought they played great, but they need to be more composed so they don't jump offsides and give the opponent a free play. Rodgers is the best in the business at using voice inflection and capitalizing on those freebies, so I feel safe that won't haunt us as much in the future.

To be fair, they didn't start jumping offsides until the 4th quarter when they were exhausted and trying to gain any edge they could.

I thought for the first three quarters they played composed.

Steve2222

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3cq0n7f6 said:
Yes, the DL recorded four sacks while allowing 28 carries for 84 yards. That's good for a 3.0 YPC average.

Just terrible.

Sheldon Richardson also drew two holding calls as well.

bandiger

Reaction score
Name another D-line that did well? Holding Rodgers to 17pts at Lambeau while the offense stunk is pretty good to me. Probably would be 10-13 pts if RW didn't fumble. I'm curious about your what more do you want? Heck they even had a very special Rodgers pick six, if the Refs weren't so home biased.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Our D played strong.

They got tired toward the end because our offense kept them on the field so much.

The offense sucks. Take away the bright spot of Carson's potential and it looks grim.

From RW on down the offense was pathetic yesterday.

And with the ongoing O-Line woes, fire Cable just to send a message. Pete doesn't seem to ever do that kind of thing. Guess it worked for him in the past with establishing loyalty etc., but frankly, it isn't working now and hasn't been for a while.

And if Bevell was a competent OC he would have been a head coach somewhere by now.

The guy flat out sucks.

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
WOW. LOL I honestly cannot believe anyone could feel that way after watching the first half. I didn't get a chance to look at the time of possession.. But it seems like the D was on the field for 3/4 of the game... I was super happy with the pressure up the middle . It helped out a ton on the edges to allow more 1 v1 opportunities for Avril, Bennett, and Clark.

This is the first game of a VERY long season. I don't take much out of this game.. As the commentators said, defenses are often further ahead than offenses in the first 3-4 weeks. Just due to the fact that a great offense is reliant on timing and precision. Defensively, you know your assignment, and read and react.

Oh, I was also pretty happy about Shaq Griffin's performance.. He's going to get SO MUCH BETTER!

Onto the next week!!! GO HAWKS!!!!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ptisme":3ahvclk5 said:
IrishNW":3ahvclk5 said:
Our D-line dominated the packers o-line. The difference is that the packers STILL could move the ball without a running game and great pass protection. something we seem unable to do. If everything not perfect for us we fall apart.
It was a battle between an all time great QB and an all time great defense... The QB won this one at home... In Seattle with that crowd noise it probably goes the other way...

Even though GB won I think our defense owned him. If our offense wasnt inept Rodgers only scores 10 points AT HOME with our #2 CB being ejected early in the game and the refs in his pocket. I have rarely if ever seen Rodgers under that much pressure in a game.

In fact OUR D scored the same ammount of TDs rodgers did but the refs decided to take it back on two bullshit calls

On the D side of the ball I am pumped off from what I see. This defense is IMO BETTER than the superbowl winning one. Our DL is the best it has ever been, Wright and Wagner are more experienced and very good, Thomas and Kam are as good as ever and Sherm, Lane, Griffen and even that guy we got from the pats all looked great yesterday. I dont even know who you would say a weak spot on our D is..the nickel CB? Almost the whole side on defense is probowl caliber or borderline probowl IMO

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
ptisme":3ki31xsx said:
Siouxhawk":3ki31xsx said:
I too thought they played great, but they need to be more composed so they don't jump offsides and give the opponent a free play. Rodgers is the best in the business at using voice inflection and capitalizing on those freebies, so I feel safe that won't haunt us as much in the future.
I actaully thought jumping only once against Rodgers in the first game showed pretty good discipline on Seattles part...
It was at least twice -- Bennett and Bass I believe -- and I know one of them resulted in a first down.

Gametime

Reaction score
Hmmmm. No. The def line was outstanding. Period. They also played 4 hours of a 3 hour game so there's that.

KillerB

Reaction score
D-line was probably the best part of a bad game. Strong against the run, consistent pass pressure until they ran out of gas and cramped up in the 4th quarter. Facing one of the top QBs in the game on the road.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Wow. Not the impression I came away with at all. In fact, the impression I came away with was...

That was one of the finest defensive performances I have ever seen put on. Absolutely stunning.

Thomas not only didn't lose a stride, he looked the best I have seen him in 3 years (save one blown coverage when Rodgers pulled a Rodgers hurry up). Richardson not only held his own, despite having little time to get in sync with the rest of the line, he was outstanding. Griffin, that rookie playing across from Sherman... WOW.

The defensive line played disciplined. Right up until the end when the defense was gassed, Rodgers was contained. He didn't get outside the pocket to burn us with his fresh legs. He was frustrated, and running for his life all game long.

Against a guy like Rodgers, you can't judge success by sacks. He avoids them like no one else. You judge success by how well you contained him. If you over pursue for the sack stats, he will burn the ever living hell out of you. I think his stats for the first three quarters speak volumes to just how dominant, and disciplined a defense we put out there (D-line and secondary).

It really wasn't until the end, when the D was totally gassed, that they lost some of that disciplined play. That is on the offense for not giving the D a little more rest.

Really, that was an amazing performance all the way around, and may be the best I have ever witnessed.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I think what Seahawks fans see as a dominant DL performance and what most of the rest of the league sees is way different. Our OL is so bad that opposing DL dominate them to a ridiculous level with pressure after 1.5 seconds on every other play. That is unrealistic against a decent or solid OL and damn near impossible against a Cowboys or Raiders level OL.

Our DL did about as good a job as any against Rodgers, especially in GB. Can't think of one that has dominated him at Lambeau to a greater extent. Maybe Minnesota week 17 in 2015?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":e6ng37vr said:
I think what Seahawks fans see as a dominant DL performance and what most of the rest of the league sees is way different. Our OL is so bad that opposing DL dominate them to a ridiculous level with pressure after 1.5 seconds on every other play. That is unrealistic against a decent or solid OL and damn near impossible against a Cowboys or Raiders level OL.

Our DL did about as good a job as any against Rodgers, especially in GB. Can't think of one that has dominated him at Lambeau to a greater extent. Maybe Minnesota week 17 in 2015?

This is exactly right.

Hawk fans have, in general, no idea what a good o-line looks like, so every d-line we play seems fantastic.

What our defense did in GB was fantastic. The offense had it's shots downfield, and it was only a 1-score game for most of the 2nd half. You can't ask your D to do more than what they did.

Well, I suppose you could, actually. If our offense does any worse, they'll need to be on the field 3 whole quarters instead of 2/3 of the game.

cymatica

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1z4e87pd said:
adeltaY":1z4e87pd said:

This is exactly right.

Hawk fans have, in general, no idea what a good o-line looks like, so every d-line we play seems fantastic.

What our defense did in GB was fantastic. The offense had it's shots downfield, and it was only a 1-score game for most of the 2nd half. You can't ask your D to do more than what they did.

Well, I suppose you could, actually. If our offense does any worse, they'll need to be on the field 3 whole quarters instead of 2/3 of the game.

Agree. Lol that's funny because I was thinking this during the game. Our o-line makes our defense look bad in more ways than one

chris98251

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":30gzewn1 said:
adeltaY":30gzewn1 said:

This is exactly right.

Having Jones, Hutchinson, Tobeck, Gray, and Locklear must have been a figment of our imagination I suppose, we really don't know anything about how a line is suppose to look. Locklear being our weak link. We rotated RT a lot with Womack and Wedderburn and others, but WE DO KNOW WHAT A GOOD LINE LOOKS LIKE.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":15jzgzxs said:
Having Jones, Hutchinson, Tobeck, Gray, and Locklear must have been a figment of our imagination I suppose, we really don't know anything about how a line is suppose to look. Locklear being our weak link. We rotated RT a lot with Womack and Wedderburn and others, but WE DO KNOW WHAT A GOOD LINE LOOKS LIKE.

I think some of us are starting to believe it was our imagination after seeing the dumpster fire this team has fielded for the past few years. :mrgreen:

Josea16

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2lc34dck said:
Jesus, Bennett, Avril, Richardson, Clark should be impossible to stop, but frankly they were pretty average. The 4 sacks I would say 3 of them were coverage sacks.

I know that the refs never call GB for holding but come on man. They had just as many questions on the oline as we did. But they held up....against a far superior unit....

UGHHHH
Dude, step away from the pipe. Our 2017 defense makes our 2013 defense look like Little League. That was an epic performance no 200 dollars and no stop go sir.

Looking at the schedule we should win our next 7 games. Relax dude. Friggin 17 points with the FIX in at Lambeau? This game should have been 16-13 Seattle. so not worried brother. We will see these punks at the Clink in January and revenge is a bitch. Just like Erin.

We lost by 8 with the FIX in and still could have won. Shit OL or not. The reason that I'm mad and won't take any fake apologies from Green Bay fans is the fact we still could have won at Lambeau despite the phantom punch, phantom block in the back, Graham getting mugged, Clark getting tackled, our joke OL etc.

I'd be fine if Green Bay actually outplayed us and was the better team but they aren't. The offense will get it together. Just understand you are in the front row center seat watching a legendary level defense. This defense pressured Erin Rodgers with regularity at Lambeau think about that sir.