Unnessary and antagonistic anti 12th man essay

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
From today's Seattle times. I already left a comment but I'm tired and a bit outraged over all these Texas A & M fans plastering the internet with blogs, comments, and articles trashing Seattle's 12th man. To read it today in the hometown paper is too much. I'm now calling for Hawk fans to go on the offensive and defend ourselves from Aggies fans who are monopolizing something they didn't even create.

Most sensible fans realize that we didn't create the phrase but don't know that A & M didn't either. It came from the University of Iowa, and is rumored to have started even earlier at the University of Minnesota. We did, however, adopt the tradition and it has been a huge part of the Seahawks establishing the best home field advantage in all of sports, with is the real reason I think Aggies fans are so uptight over this issue. The Seahawks also had retired the 12 number for their fans years before A&M "trademarked" the phrase. It's time to take off the kid gloves and not take this crap from Aggies fans. We have earned the right to use the 12th man tradition no less than they have and it's high time to voice that we are not going to let the Aggies make $ off our efforts.

I've been hesitant to start calling us "12s" instead of "12th man" because I thought it was motivated by political correctedness. But I now see it was with great foresight that the Seahawks started the push in this direction. I'm sure they are as tired as we are at having to defend ourselves from unnecessary attacks and demands for "royalties" from the Aggies. I'm fully behind the movement and can't wait to see how those fools in Consumption Junction handle it.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/take2...as-am-grad-on-why-12th-man-isnt-from-seattle/

Take 2: Texas A&M grad on the origins of the 12th Man
Posted by Don Shelton

BY TERRANCE QUINLAN

The author is a former Seattle resident who attended Texas A&M. We’d like your reaction to his Take 2 essay by email at [email protected] or on comments on this blog.

The 12th Man always stands during athletic contests.
The 12th Man does not cheer. He yells.
The 12th Man may kiss his date if his team scores a touchdown
The 12th Man scaled the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc in the Normandy invasion.
The 12th Man suffered 50 percent casualties in that attack.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
First of all, this reads like a teenage girl's Instagram account, what's up with the way this guy wrote his piece?

Secondly, as I've said before if A&M was so damn proud of their monopoly on the term "12th man," then why did they sell it to us for only $100,000? Sorry, but you can't puff your chest out while upon your 12th man soap box claiming superiority and all that is righteous............while your hand is behind your back collecting cash.

OP
OP
E

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
Barthawk":3hsfjxbm said:
This is right up there with the noise record stuff.. well past its prime and definitely not worth getting amped up.. save your angst for the bitter SA versus Beast argument.

Not when it's published in the hometown newspaper. And not when it is an outright falsity, farcity and slightly venomous. This was more than a silly, tongue-in-cheek posting. It was arrogant, dismissive and full of lies.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
What a weird thing to publish by the Times. :34853_doh:

But let A&M fans get all mad and pouty... doesn't effect what we got going on up here. Who cares right? :Dunno:

-The term 12th Man didn't originate at Texas A&M
-Seahawks retired the #12 jersey before they copyrighted the term

We're going to continue on with our tradition, they can do whatever they want with theirs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2ffatgk2 said:
The Times hates sports. This doesn't surprise me at all that they would post this drivel.

Bingo.

Remember, the Times is also the newspaper that liked to run weekly Op Eds on the evils of Chris Hansen and the arena proposals.

Mckinja

Reaction score
I read that "article" expecting it to be an article. I've already figuratively crumpled it up, tossed in the trash, and moved on.

Loud and proud! Go Hawks!

kearly

Reaction score
That article sucked. But some of the comments were awesome.

edogg23

Reaction score
Will the Seattle times just hurry up and go bankrupt already?
They leave a stupid 4 page newspaper on every driveway in my neighborhood every week even though no one wants it. It goes straight into my recycle bin.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
My level for caring about Aggies fans right now is below "giving a crap".

TwilightError

Reaction score
The Texas A&M fans have their knickers in a twist for the sole reason that the Seahawks 12th man is more well known than the Aggies 12th man. Otherwise it makes no sense at all. 12th man as a name for fan group is not a unique idea at all. The world is full of football and soccer fan groups who use that. It is the most obvious name one can come up with and trademarking it is ridiculous. Its as innovative as naming your black cat with white feet "socks".

It is not about the name, it is what you make of it. You can sit around and whine on newspapers or make a name for yourself for the right reasons.

BASF

Reaction score
I'd like to take this moment on this thread to welcome Texas A&M football back into mediocrity and irrelevance after their loss today. Congratulations on staving it off last week, but it has happened now. Go ahead and start whining about your overrated team and stop worrying about the Seahawks who are more than relevant in the big leagues.

drdiags

Reaction score
I have seen folks complain and mock other NFL teams who have 12th man ceremonies or refers to their fans as 12th men/fans. No one is above a feeling of entitlement. The Seahawks should get rid of any 12th man association and continue with the 12s branding. Texas A&M shouldn't get a dime for the 12th man branding, but that is how it goes.

Do a variation and let those folks go back to wallowing in their glorious pooh.

Then our fans should concentrate on breaking the sound record ... maybe not?