Update: Mariners to hire Lloyd McClendon as new manager

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Yeah I think Cora would have been aweful. I don't hate this hire. Then I think really what big name would ever come here. Let's go McClendon give them hell. I hope at least we can bat better.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The real question is who will be our new manager in 2015.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Good hire.

Bring in that 2000-2005 Pirates vibe.

27476-Al-Bundy-laughing-gif-Io98.gif

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
GoldenIsThyTate":352hnbno said:
well im excited for the new possibilities but the problem is not the manager, its the GM and FO so its pretty irrelevant
Or ownership.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":128re4gx said:
I wonder why the tigers didn't hire him? What did they see?

Some front office eyes see winning baseball and other front offices' eyes see only fans in the stands.

What the one understands sows both, and the other thinks bobbleheads.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
McClendon, who will be introduced to the media Thursday afternoon, was a finalist for the Mariners job in 2010 when Eric Wedge was hired. Why now and not then, Zduriencik was asked?

"I think he is just three years more experienced if you will," Zduriencik answered. "I think with the manager we hired the last time, he hit all buttons and Lloyd did, too. It was a very close call at that time. We did what we did. I think the fact that the previous manager had experience taking the club close to the World Series weighed in his favor."
Zduriencik admitted that McClendon's managerial experience was a factor in his selection but revealed that he wasn't the only candidate who had managed at the big-league level.

"Experience as a manager helped but we had many discussions with guys who had managerial experience before that," Zduriencik said. "At the end this was the group of five that we thought were the best fit for us."

Part of the vetting process included talking to numerous players who had played for McClendon. Zduriencik liked what he heard.

"To a man, even the players in Detroit right now had great things to say about his demeanor," Zduriencik said. "He's a tough guy, he's a quiet guy, very humble. It's not out there, it's not in-your-face personality but it is a very confident inner quietness about him, but his players play hard for him and they respect him."

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=384&sid=238 ... um=twitter

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":z5ts2cr5 said:
McClendon, who will be introduced to the media Thursday afternoon, was a finalist for the Mariners job in 2010 when Eric Wedge was hired. Why now and not then, Zduriencik was asked?

"I think he is just three years more experienced if you will," Zduriencik answered. "I think with the manager we hired the last time, he hit all buttons and Lloyd did, too. It was a very close call at that time. We did what we did. I think the fact that the previous manager had experience taking the club close to the World Series weighed in his favor."
Zduriencik admitted that McClendon's managerial experience was a factor in his selection but revealed that he wasn't the only candidate who had managed at the big-league level.

"Experience as a manager helped but we had many discussions with guys who had managerial experience before that," Zduriencik said. "At the end this was the group of five that we thought were the best fit for us."

Part of the vetting process included talking to numerous players who had played for McClendon. Zduriencik liked what he heard.

"To a man, even the players in Detroit right now had great things to say about his demeanor," Zduriencik said. "He's a tough guy, he's a quiet guy, very humble. It's not out there, it's not in-your-face personality but it is a very confident inner quietness about him, but his players play hard for him and they respect him."

Of course current Tigers players would have nothing but accolades for a coach who has a shot at a managerial gig. Duh.

Did Z ever call any Pirates players that played for McC from 01' to 05'? He must've, right?

Considering he did; Did every former Bucs player (M's front office doing their homework) under McC just give him a glowing endorsement. Or did one, or two players say something the front office didn't want to hear. Like...

1) Dude was an idiot. Hey man I'm sorry, he was cool n all but he ain't no manager material from what I played under...Just me.

2)Bwa...hahahahahaha.

I guess all we can hope for is this is lucky number 17. The previous 16 managers in M's history were all idiots.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":3kmp72am said:
KitsapGuy":3kmp72am said:

Of course current Tigers players would have nothing but accolades for a coach who has a shot at a managerial gig. Duh.

Did Z ever call any Pirates players that played for McC from 01' to 05'? He must've, right?

Considering he did; Did every former Bucs player (M's front office doing their homework) under McC just give him a glowing endorsement. Or did one, or two players say something the front office didn't want to hear. Like...

1) Dude was an idiot. Hey man I'm sorry, he was cool n all but he ain't no manager material from what I played under...Just me.

2)Bwa...hahahahahaha.

I guess all we can hope for is this is lucky number 17. The previous 16 managers in M's history were all idiots.

Lou Pinella was an idiot?

interesting... makes as much sense as the rest of your post really.

anyways, managers have like a 10% impact on the game. (unless you keep your starting pitchers our there for 140 pitches a start)

This team needs better players. I'm interested in seeing the off season transpire. I'm about ready to end my already distant relationship with this team. This winter may make the difference.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Unless the Ms are going to actually raise payroll to 120M+ and then actually spend it wisely, there isn't any way this team is going to be any good next year. They have basically Seager, a bunch of underachieving garbage, Felix, and Iwakuma. Overpaying Jacoby Ellsbury won't do much to change that.

Unless Zunino, Smoak, Ackley, Paxton, and Walker all go off, this team is winning 72-74 games at the most, and I have no faith in any of our prospects going off because they never do.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":28paomto said:
Unless the Ms are going to actually raise payroll to 120M+ and then actually spend it wisely, there isn't any way this team is going to be any good next year. They have basically Seager, a bunch of underachieving garbage, Felix, and Iwakuma. Overpaying Jacoby Ellsbury won't do much to change that.

Unless Zunino, Smoak, Ackley, Paxton, and Walker all go off, this team is winning 72-74 games at the most, and I have no faith in any of our prospects going off because they never do.

i disagree, but only a little. there are bargains to be had out there, and many teams have paved the way to show that blueprint to be successful. last year there were 4-5 players who came in under 10 million who had outstanding seasons.

however, bringing in 1-2 of those players would boster the consistency through the lineup. Paxton and Walker i feel will be solid pitchers next season. maybe not great, but a significant upgrade over what we have.

that means we would need more production from younger hitters. Zunino, Ackley and Smoak havent shown an ability to be consistent.

the right moves could get this team to 80 wins...it would need 4-5 10 mill a year players to achieve higher.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":k0fe25yz said:
Smelly McUgly":k0fe25yz said:

i disagree, but only a little. there are bargains to be had out there, and many teams have paved the way to show that blueprint to be successful. last year there were 4-5 players who came in under 10 million who had outstanding seasons.

however, bringing in 1-2 of those players would boster the consistency through the lineup. Paxton and Walker i feel will be solid pitchers next season. maybe not great, but a significant upgrade over what we have.

that means we would need more production from younger hitters. Zunino, Ackley and Smoak havent shown an ability to be consistent.

the right moves could get this team to 80 wins...it would need 4-5 10 mill a year players to achieve higher.

I wonder what players that you have in mind, off the top of your head, as FA targets? Let's put what our budget probably will be aside (around 95-100M) and say that the Ms get serious about something other than making a profit and raise the budget significantly. Who do you think that we could get for 10-20M a year to achieve eighty wins? Just curious.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I am well into the show me why I should care stage with this team. When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks he over paid for players , some did well, others fizzled or did just fair. He kept investing in the team. Now it's one of the best and I suspect the team is worth a whole lot of green.

The Ms need to take a page out of his book of they want me to care again.

m0ng0

Reaction score
We are going have to spend to keep our best hitter (morales) and at this point I am not sure its a good idea. I hear they are looking at Ellsbury, I do like that.

Tical21

Reaction score
Morales is gone. There is a 95% chance that this is a one-year hire, but I guess if you're desperate enough, you have to take the job, don't you?

Here's to hoping he can get the hitters to pull their f'n heads out. Not optimistic. Ellsbury, and any other free agent, are completely wasted money unless we get a core around them. Build that young, cheap core, sell everything that isn't nailed down until you get it. There is one and only one model in MLB, and it isn't overpaying middling FA's to come to a bad team.

nategreat

Reaction score
How many years will he last before he gives up on the stupidity of what is known as the Mariners organization? I give him 2.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":1gettfgv said:
Morales is gone. There is a 95% chance that this is a one-year hire, but I guess if you're desperate enough, you have to take the job, don't you?

Here's to hoping he can get the hitters to pull their f'n heads out. Not optimistic. Ellsbury, and any other free agent, are completely wasted money unless we get a core around them. Build that young, cheap core, sell everything that isn't nailed down until you get it. There is one and only one model in MLB, and it isn't overpaying middling FA's to come to a bad team.

agree, but what is that model now though? it sure as hell isnt bursting the seams of the payroll ceiling. Tigers were the only real competitive team with a very high payroll. Sox have a high payroll, but wouldnt Mike Napoli, Sammalwhatever, etal be "middling FAs?"

I think the Cardinals and Rays are showing the way for long term success. It definately requires that your minor league produce star players, then surround them with good players. But neither of the World Series teams were filled with a host of "star" players (atleast star players in their prime).

This team needs to become relevant.. fast. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you run the team) 80 wins would mark relevancy. If they can extend the payroll a bit for 3-4 players like Morales to mix in with the kids they have, and that takes them to 80 wins, then its the first major step to revitalizing the organization since Cliff Lee was here

who those FAs are? not really sure. its not a great list.

Atradees

Reaction score
Well boys, it takes a good seven years to build a team. Then another seven years to get to 90 wins?

It is a top notch baseball facility with an awesome board. I would like to have seen it designed to be more of a hitters park given

outside factors like weather, etc.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I feel sorry for Lloyd. He has to deal with the two turds in the upper front office who names shall not be spoken. At least they didn't hire little Joey Cora. It would have been insufferable listening to Rizz gush about him every game.